Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Giving US Dollars as a present to someone in the UK

Giving US Dollars as a present to someone in the UK

Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Giving US Dollars as a present to someone in the UK

Hi there,

I thought someone on this forum might be able to help us.

We are in Australia and my best friend is in the UK. I don't always do birthdays and celebrations for every one in her family each year but tend to do the big ones or do something out of the blue.

Any how. She's off to the US for a holiday in December. It's something she's looking forward to as they haven't been as a family (eldest boy is nearly 21) for a few years and I know she thinks it might be the last "family holiday". Money has also been tight.

I thought that it would be really nice to arrange some US dollars that they can take as spending money. I don't want to stick the money in her account to get exchanged because I want it to be more about them having a good time and that I realise how important it is for them all etc etc.

Does anyone know how I can buy some US dollars (I still have UK account) and send it to her. Or perhaps order it to be delivered. I am not sure how this all works with money laundering laws etc. Can I order money and allow for her to collect it etc? Not sure how travellers cheques work or what options I may have.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Poppet
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:05 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving US Dollars as a present to someone in the UK

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

I thought someone on this forum might be able to help us.

We are in Australia and my best friend is in the UK. I don't always do birthdays and celebrations for every one in her family each year but tend to do the big ones or do something out of the blue.

Any how. She's off to the US for a holiday in December. It's something she's looking forward to as they haven't been as a family (eldest boy is nearly 21) for a few years and I know she thinks it might be the last "family holiday". Money has also been tight.

I thought that it would be really nice to arrange some US dollars that they can take as spending money. I don't want to stick the money in her account to get exchanged because I want it to be more about them having a good time and that I realise how important it is for them all etc etc.

Does anyone know how I can buy some US dollars (I still have UK account) and send it to her. Or perhaps order it to be delivered. I am not sure how this all works with money laundering laws etc. Can I order money and allow for her to collect it etc? Not sure how travellers cheques work or what options I may have.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Poppet
Reserve a right to be wrong here - last time I used them was quite a few years back. Anyway - Give American Express a ring - they have (well, used to) "gift checks" that can be made out to another person than the buyer and that is their whole purpose. In the US those could be exchanged for cash in the AmEx office or used to pay for goods and services pretty much anywhere where AmEx is accepted. They also have the "gift cards" that you can buy online - see here https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...name=default#8

Hope this helps.

NJ

PS>> retailers accepting Amex are usually not the cheapest ones around, but that sounds like an easiest way to arrange what you are after from Oz
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all
Default Re: Giving US Dollars as a present to someone in the UK

My US in-laws do this for us quite often. They usually use Crown Currency exchange and they told us that HiFX do travel money as well. The money is just sent to my wife for our trips to see them.