Giving blood

Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving blood

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Damned acrobats, they should be made to jump through hoops before they can get a Visa.
Quiet day at work obviously
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Quiet day at work obviously
Hey, that was my first post ... I've been busy today ... only just got around to updating my NRL Fantasy Team ... it's an imposition this work malarky I can tell you.

I've also drafted my 2 weeks notice letter and God Help Me it won't take much this afternoon to make me deploy it. I fancy the idea of September off
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Hey, that was my first post ... I've been busy today ... only just got around to updating my NRL Fantasy Team ... it's an imposition this work malarky I can tell you.

I've also drafted my 2 weeks notice letter and God Help Me it won't take much this afternoon to make me deploy it. I fancy the idea of September off
What about Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan etc etc etc?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I was told (can't remember who by though so it could be nonsense) that organs didn't matter as they can just flush them out and there's no cross contamination from different blood. Sounds feasible but then what do I know
It is indeed nonsense The reason they will take organs from people that they wouldn't take blood from is all about the risk/reward to the recipient.

For blood, there is a (small) risk of vCJD for the recipient, and given that there is a reasonable supply of 'clean' blood from other donors, the risk/benefit ratio means they won't use potentially vCJD-carrying blood.

For organs however, there is a much more limited supply of organs from alternative sources, and the need for an organ is often critical. The risk/benefit analysis means it's worthwhile taking the risk of getting an infected organ.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 3:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by James516
It is indeed nonsense The reason they will take organs from people that they wouldn't take blood from is all about the risk/reward to the recipient.

For blood, there is a (small) risk of vCJD for the recipient, and given that there is a reasonable supply of 'clean' blood from other donors, the risk/benefit ratio means they won't use potentially vCJD-carrying blood.

For organs however, there is a much more limited supply of organs from alternative sources, and the need for an organ is often critical. The risk/benefit analysis means it's worthwhile taking the risk of getting an infected organ.
Thanks for that. I think the organ donation system is wrong, both here and the UK. I firmly believe everyone should have to be on the donor list unless they request to be taken off it, not the other way round. Wouldn't be a shortage if they did it that way I wouldn't have thought.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Actually, the research suggests that the single biggest thing you can do to lift organ donation rates is to have dedicated donation counsellors at all major trauma hospitals to talk to grieving relatives. This is how things are done in Spain which has very high (comparatively) donation rates.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nope. Sorry, but anyone who has lived in the UK for 6 months or more between 1980 & 1996 can't give blood in Australia. Sore point for a lot of people here.
Couple of old threads with more details:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620281

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565429
same here in the states. bit of a shame really..good clean blood here and not able to give it
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I think the organ donation system is wrong, both here and the UK. I firmly believe everyone should have to be on the donor list unless they request to be taken off it, not the other way round. Wouldn't be a shortage if they did it that way I wouldn't have thought.
i'm with you on this one
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Being Irish, and not having lived in the UK for a period of 6 months, they happily take my plasma donation every 3 weeks.
You're lucky then and I suppose the Australian Red Cross sees things differently than their Canadian counterparts. My husband grew up in Ireland, moved to Canada when he was 21, and he cannot donate blood in Canada.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:17 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

I understand why people are campaigning for this, but the idea makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like the idea of the government/hospital having a right to my body by default. I am on the register, with the exception of my eyes (funny about eyes) and my family know my wishes, but to have someone hack into me once I am gone because I am now their property is a bit disconcerting.

I remember people coming to school armed with donor cards and talking to all the 16 yrs old and up about organ donation and how important it is. Does that still happen? If not, why not.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
I understand why people are campaigning for this, but the idea makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like the idea of the government/hospital having a right to my body by default. I am on the register, with the exception of my eyes (funny about eyes) and my family know my wishes, but to have someone hack into me once I am gone because I am now their property is a bit disconcerting.

I remember people coming to school armed with donor cards and talking to all the 16 yrs old and up about organ donation and how important it is. Does that still happen? If not, why not.
Generally people are more inclined to take themselves off a list than to join a list in the first place. That's cos if someone is so against donation they will make sure they are unsubscribed. Everyone still has a choice. The current system doesn't work as people don't think of what happens when they die, and unless there are trained people in all hospitals then no one wants to ask a loved one at the point before death when this is required so the current system is flawed mate
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen

But they wouldn't have the right to your body if you didn't want them to. You would make the decision to be taken off the list. A huge number of people never get round to getting on the list at present and don't discuss their views with their loved ones. If it was the way I described everyone would know they were on the list and if they felt strongly against it would be more likely to ask to be taken off.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

matty b is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emma75
I gave blood today and recieved my bronze award for donating 10 pints, not bad as i am petrified of needles! Just wondering if giving blood is the same sort of set up in Australia?
Emma
don't know if this helps but we are based in qld, and wife is rhesus neg, and gave blood in uk, was told not allowed to donate , by other ex pats living here who used to give blood , they will decline u at blood centre(in uk always in demand) due to cjd threat.