Giving blood

Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:44 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving blood

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Note that the rules apply to everyone. Not just the British.
I must admit, I've never really understood the sense of moral outrage at being prevented from giving blood that others seem to have.

I used to give blood in the UK, but here I don't it's no skin off my nose so to speak.

S
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:12 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I must admit, I've never really understood the sense of moral outrage at being prevented from giving blood that others seem to have.

I used to give blood in the UK, but here I don't it's no skin off my nose so to speak.

S
Maybe it hursts british national pride that OZ rejects their blood.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the rules apply to everyone. Not just the British.
Yes, agree, it's anyone who spent a certain amount of time in the UK during that period. My Aussie OH also can't donate.

Mohogany - yes, there's a certain amount of pride involved, but I get annoyed by ads telling us to donate blood when they won't let us.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Yes, agree, it's anyone who spent a certain amount of time in the UK during that period. My Aussie OH also can't donate.

Mohogany - yes, there's a certain amount of pride involved, but I get annoyed by ads telling us to donate blood when they won't let us.
Thats what wonds me up, its the way they try and make you feel guilty and selfish for not donating.
I took this up with Facilities at work once. They send round emails putting on very strong pressure and trying to make people feel guilty if they don't donate. I pointed out that it isn't fair to put pressure on people in that way when many of us don't have the choice as to whether we can donate or not. I actually got an apology from them and they said they genuinely weren't aware of the "6 months in Britain" rule and didn't mean to upset anyone. I didn't really expect them to know about the rule, but was quite impressed they actually apologised!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:48 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if the same applies to chord blood? Due to have a baby in 10 weeks and was thinking about it the other day, keep forgetting to ask my midwife though.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Does anyone know if the same applies to chord blood? Due to have a baby in 10 weeks and was thinking about it the other day, keep forgetting to ask my midwife though.
That got asked once before, I'm sure.......I'll have a look.....

.............here ya go, might help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619293
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Risk management. That's why they've eliminated some (e.g. man on man sex) and not others (man on woman sex - although the UK does eliminate some man on woman sex and not others).

Or to pose your question another way why have they eliminated any?
I guess if you believe the vCJD scare stories (supposed to kill millions, in fact only affected a little over 100 in a population of 60 million even if all the cases were identified properly) it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise not.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Ditto. It's there loss, not mine. They don't want my blood, but I'm not upset about it. That's just how it is.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by emma75
I gave blood today and recieved my bronze award for donating 10 pints, not bad as i am petrified of needles! Just wondering if giving blood is the same sort of set up in Australia?
Emma
Well Done Emma......25 next for your silver...it flies by
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I looked up about it, it wasn't just Britain, it was other European countries as well. It's not just Australia and NZ that won't accept the blood, the US won't either. It annoyed me when my daughter was in hospital recently and each time I walked through the reception area there was the board showing what types of blood they were short of. My blood is rare and they were asking for it urgently. Still wouldn't take mine though. Even if they change the rules, I had a blood transfusion after having First Born in 1992 so no country wants my blood, not even the UK.

Got the organ donation card though, no trouble there.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Ditto. It's there loss, not mine. They don't want my blood, but I'm not upset about it. That's just how it is.
Agreed! Just thought i would try and do a good deed. I hate needles anyway!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I guess if you believe the vCJD scare stories (supposed to kill millions, in fact only affected a little over 100 in a population of 60 million even if all the cases were identified properly) it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise not.
I never believed the scare stories. But at the same time I'm not going to pretend that nothing happened or that a few deaths linked to transfusions is insignificant.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tye68
Well Done Emma......25 next for your silver...it flies by
Thanks , Not sure i will make 25 as i cant donate in Australia!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I never believed the scare stories. But at the same time I'm not going to pretend that nothing happened or that a few deaths linked to transfusions is insignificant.
No real evidence to support a link, to my understanding.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:35 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Last time I looked up about it, it wasn't just Britain, it was other European countries as well. .
Being Irish, and not having lived in the UK for a period of 6 months, they happily take my plasma donation every 3 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.