Giving Blood

Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:03 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Giving Blood

I'm a regular blood doner in the UK, So have been looking into carrying on in Australia. Basically if you lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 you cannot give blood in Australia

See below, (sorry about the copy and paste)

http://www.giveblood.redcross.org.au...=8&ParentID=-1

Kala

Last edited by kala; Jul 20th 2004 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine who works in Hobart went back to the UK for 6 months in 1981; he has been told he can't give blood even now! he hasn't been near the UK since, but its the 6 month bit that counts apparently.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
A friend of mine who works in Hobart went back to the UK for 6 months in 1981; he has been told he can't give blood even now! he hasn't been near the UK since, but its the 6 month bit that counts apparently.

Sorry yep the web site says 1980 to 1996, i'll chage the original post now

Kala
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kala
Sorry yep the web site says 1980 to 1996, i'll chage the original post now

Kala

I gave blood when I lived there in 1994 / 95 - must have been okay then - I still have my blood doner card - guess I can throw it away then!!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:31 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Giving Blood

Hiya kala,

I've heard of this in the USA as well.

I'm afraid it's all down to that dodgey beef and the fact that they don't know if we are all going to get it. moo moo mooooo!

The woryying fact is that if we all had it and were going to pop our clogs en mass would they tell us

Bye
Mark
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

can't they just test the blood for cjd?

I'm a donor and its sad not to be able to continue, especially when there are so many transfusions needed everyday.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:14 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya steandleigh,

there was talk of one, but it mysteriously disappeared never to be heard of again.

Who knows.

Bye
Mark
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Do they test blood for CJD in the UK? I just had 6 units transfused......:scared:
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:17 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Do they test blood for CJD in the UK? I just had 6 units transfused......:scared:
The new rule in the Uk is that anyone who has recieved a blood transfussion since 1980 can no longer donate. Also those wth a close family member (brother sister, child) who has been diagnosed with CJD canot donate

see link

http://www.blood.co.uk/press_release...%20release.doc

It is a shame as many people who have recieved or know people who have recieved are more likely to give blood but I supose it is better to be safe than sorry. I personally think that the Australian rule is a bit OTT considering only 146 peopel have ever been diagnosed.

So those of you who can get out there and donate, you never know when you might need some

Thanks
Kala
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

I saw a documentary on it and I don't think they can test for CJD in a blood test because it "hides" in the brain so you would need to have a brain biopsy to test for it.

Shame really beacause they are always complaining they don't have enough blood supplies here in Oz.The Red Cross are probably being overcautious because of litigation down the track.

Last edited by mary1; Jul 20th 2004 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

One would think tens of thousands of people had this so-called CJD disease, not less than one hundred in a population of 60 million!

Talk about an over-reaction.

I suspect if the Australian Red Cross were ever *really* desperate for blood (such as in a national emergency) they wouldn't worry too much about whether you'd lived in the UK or not between x and y years.

Until then, people who've lived in the UK can avoid the needle with a clear conscience

Jeremy

Originally posted by mary1
I saw a documentary on it and I don't think they can test for CJD in a blood test because it "hides" in the brain so you would need to have a brain biopsy to test for it.

Shame really beacause they are always complaining they don't have enough blood supplies here in Oz.The Red Cross are probably being overcautious because of litigation down the track.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Giving Blood

yes it's true.. they've bloody cheek if you ask me

Anyway it's their loss.. I have nice clean blood .. I don't eat meat, and haven't for years, gave it up when I was around 14 or 15 yrs old ....so it's nice and clean.

good thing though I can donate my blood to hubby if he ever needs it ( we have the same blood group)... so he dosen't need any of their tainted Aussie blood either. .lol

cheers
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really sad about not being able to give blood. I have been doing so since my dad was dying of cancer and needed many transfusions, it's been my way of paying it back, so it's a very personal thing for me.

Steph
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said, your conscience should be clear as you're willing to give, but they're not willing to accept.

If they were *really* short they wouldn't have this ridiculous rule (or at least they ought not to in that case ... ), so you can reassure yourself on this score.

Jeremy

Originally posted by stefian
I am really sad about not being able to give blood. I have been doing so since my dad was dying of cancer and needed many transfusions, it's been my way of paying it back, so it's a very personal thing for me.

Steph
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JAJ
As I've said, your conscience should be clear as you're willing to give, but they're not willing to accept.

If they were *really* short they wouldn't have this ridiculous rule (or at least they ought not to in that case ... ), so you can reassure yourself on this score.

Jeremy

Brits can donate their organs tho, Australia is desperate for organ donors it has a very low rate of donorship, so much so there is a campaign to encourage it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.