Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

giving birth at home

giving birth at home

Old Nov 22nd 2002, 5:52 pm
  #1  
no longer searching
Thread Starter
 
walaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,030
walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question giving birth at home

Is it common place for child birth to take place at home (referring to cities not just the back of beyond) or is it frowned upon by doctors and that it should take place in hospital?

Would you get a midwife throughout the pregnancy, that would also attend the birth at home, like in the UK (from my understanding)?

(btw - no little sheilas or bruces on the way, just a little forward thinking)
walaj is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 9:23 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 457
rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giving birth at home

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by walaj
Is it common place for child birth to take place at home (referring to cities not just the back of beyond) or is it frowned upon by doctors and that it should take place in hospital?

Would you get a midwife throughout the pregnancy, that would also attend the birth at home, like in the UK (from my understanding)?

Dont want to put you off but after having our first child at a hospital in Brisbane in 94, the missus absolutely refused to have our second in a hospital. They were patronising & very clinical and induced the baby unnecessarily. Worst of all they asked her to sign a disclaimer form late into the Labour (before administering an epidural).
Perhaps the other hospitals are fine but I DONT recommend the Mater Hospital in Brisbane!!.

We had our second at home in England and all went perfect with the help of the midwife plus assistant all the way through - good ole' NHS.
rajj is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2002, 6:13 am
  #3  
no longer searching
Thread Starter
 
walaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,030
walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giving birth at home

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by rajj
Originally posted by walaj
Perhaps the other hospitals are fine but I DONT recommend the Mater Hospital in Brisbane!!.
thanks for the reply rajj

just to clarify I was referrring to Australia, and the city is very likely to be Sydney
walaj is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2002, 9:50 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
onlyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 392
onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Australia is a bit behind the times when it comes to homebirths. We checked it out and it was going to be extremely expensive so we stuck with a hospital birth.
onlyme is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2002, 2:42 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Mubo_Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 18
Mubo_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: giving birth at home

Originally posted by walaj
Is it common place for child birth to take place at home (referring to cities not just the back of beyond) or is it frowned upon by doctors and that it should take place in hospital?

Would you get a midwife throughout the pregnancy, that would also attend the birth at home, like in the UK (from my understanding)?

(btw - no little sheilas or bruces on the way, just a little forward thinking)
Yes it can be done if you hire an independent midwife, but it's not as common as in the UK and may become even less common due to the current health insurance crisis here.

I suggest to get an idea of Australian birthing practices going to the following website www.essentialbaby.com.au Some of the ladies on it have done homebirth. Our little Sheila is due next week!
Mubo_Guy is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2002, 5:52 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
colind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 176
colind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: giving birth at home

Originally posted by Mubo_Guy
Our little Sheila is due next week!
Congratulations and good luck!

Colin
colind is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2002, 6:00 am
  #7  
Don
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,613
Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I was born at home and it never did me any harm Apart from the triangular head for my first 3 months (I was a forceps delivery.)

Back in the old days (I won't reveal my ancientness but let's just say Cliff Richard was still to become the UK's Elvis Presley) home births were much more common and the first 4 of us were born at home. Nearly 2 decades later, my tailender sister came along and despite the GP's advice (in view of her age), my mother inisted on another home birth. Sure enough, complications set in and we nearly lost the best one of us all. Luckily the good old UK ambulance service sorted out the problem but now that I'm a father myself with another on the way, I sometimes wonder what peculiar kind of selfishness and stupidity makes a lot of people want a home birth. You can forget all the claptrap about peaceful surroundings etc - a modern hospital has vital equipment that saves babies' lives. Homes don't have that equipment. A baby being born could get brain damage within a few minutes of complications setting in. Being born is a very dangerous time. Full stop, use your brain.
Don is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2002, 8:32 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: brisbane
Posts: 172
susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I was born at home and it never did me any harm Apart from the triangular head for my first 3 months (I was a forceps delivery.)

Back in the old days (I won't reveal my ancientness but let's just say Cliff Richard was still to become the UK's Elvis Presley) home births were much more common and the first 4 of us were born at home. Nearly 2 decades later, my tailender sister came along and despite the GP's advice (in view of her age), my mother inisted on another home birth. Sure enough, complications set in and we nearly lost the best one of us all. Luckily the good old UK ambulance service sorted out the problem but now that I'm a father myself with another on the way, I sometimes wonder what peculiar kind of selfishness and stupidity makes a lot of people want a home birth. You can forget all the claptrap about peaceful surroundings etc - a modern hospital has vital equipment that saves babies' lives. Homes don't have that equipment. A baby being born could get brain damage within a few minutes of complications setting in. Being born is a very dangerous time. Full stop, use your brain.
As a midwife for the last 23yrs and a mother of two I couldn`t agree more!
Susan
susmac is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2002, 10:26 am
  #9  
no longer searching
Thread Starter
 
walaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,030
walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default

thanks guys for your various comments. I take on board your views re added risk susmac & Pfamily, just that I have a dislike (or could call it a fear) of hospitals. This may change given that I have had to spend time in hospital this year (first time since I was born), and may require more treatment.

Thanks Mumbo for the web link - all the best for you & Mrs Mumbo

The other thought on birth would be in a birthing pool - seems an ideal way for a diver to give birth - as a friend earlier this year in the UK gave birth by this method and recommends it. But I suppose given onlyme comments of being behind the times, that it will be expensive or not available??
walaj is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2002, 12:23 pm
  #10  
UDS
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Ireland
Posts: 77
UDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

In terms of what really matters - a live, healthy infant - Australia's maternity services do perform better than the UK's. Both neonatal (first four weeks) and infant (first year) death rates are lower in Australia than in the UK.

That's not to say, of course, that a mother's experience might not vary significantly from place to place, or from hospital to hospital, or even from GP practice to GP practice. It would be very important to ask other mothers locally - perhaps try to contact a couple of mother and child groups? But, at least on the medical front, there is no general reason for concern.
UDS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.