Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Giving birth in Australia

Giving birth in Australia

Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Giving birth in Australia

Hi. My wife is now 7 weeks pregnant. We are still contemplating whether to go public or private. We have private health care that generally covers all expenses incurred during the delivery of the child. However, the insurance does not cover the monthly visit to the clinic. We are very confused about the health care system over here and hope that people that has walked this path are able to enlighten us....

1. We thought of doing public for the monthly check ups and go private prior to delivery. Unfortunately, we were told by our GP that it is not possible. It is either private or public all the way. Is this correct???

2. I was told that we will have to pay a "planning fee" of $1500 prior to delivery. What is that fee for??? And is it claimable from Medicare or our private insurance???

3. If we go public, my wife will opt for the hospital in Joondalup. We heard good remarks about the hospital. Anybody has experience of giving birth in the hospital and willing to share it with us??

Regards,
Dave....
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Giving birth in Australia

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hi. My wife is now 7 weeks pregnant. We are still contemplating whether to go public or private. We have private health care that generally covers all expenses incurred during the delivery of the child. However, the insurance does not cover the monthly visit to the clinic. We are very confused about the health care system over here and hope that people that has walked this path are able to enlighten us....

1. We thought of doing public for the monthly check ups and go private prior to delivery. Unfortunately, we were told by our GP that it is not possible. It is either private or public all the way. Is this correct???

2. I was told that we will have to pay a "planning fee" of $1500 prior to delivery. What is that fee for??? And is it claimable from Medicare or our private insurance???

3. If we go public, my wife will opt for the hospital in Joondalup. We heard good remarks about the hospital. Anybody has experience of giving birth in the hospital and willing to share it with us??

Regards,
Dave....
Hi ya,

Congratulations.

I do know that going Private in Perth has to be booked as soon as you pee on the stick to get the ob of your choice that delivers in the hospital choice.

There is a website called Essential Baby that has a bit of information on Public and Private and also one called Bellybelly.

I am not sure about the Joondalup area but SOR I was told that it is possible to switch from public to private in the second half of the pregnancy. I believe this is due to obs having more availability and most of the ones that work privately down here also work publicly and there were less gap fees (also no management fee)

One of the things to do is to phone the hospital and find out who delivers there and what the options are. Then you can phone the secretary and they can give you all the fees. You need to ask if they are gap covered with your health fund. I think you also have to check the stay in hospital is also covered by your particular fund. In case an anesthetist is required you can ask if they use a particular one. Sometimes these are gap covered and sometimes not.

As far as I am aware the management fee is to kinda book your ob. They will also have someone to cover them should they be unavailable. I believe that this management fee can be claimed on medicare (just a %) but again you can ask the secretary how much you will get back.

Once you go over a threshold with medicare you start to get more back on other things to.

Sorry I am not explaining this very well but most obs can give you an indication of what sort of cost you will incur so that you can work out your choices.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will be along to help answer this better than I can.

p.s ask around to see if you can get in to see a gp-obstetrician in your area that bulk bills. They can discuss options with you. I went to my gp and ended up paying for something that the gp ob was doing for free. Offering some simple advice about where to get started. Booking scans, arranging bloods and urine samples. All bulk billed.

Last edited by PoppetUK; Oct 26th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bunch of nurses on here who work at Joondalup. It's a very nice hospital and from what I understand good care. Osborne Park is another one where a lot of babies are born, but it's public. A friend of mine is a midwife there.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi ya,

Congratulations.

I do know that going Private in Perth has to be booked as soon as you pee on the stick to get the ob of your choice that delivers in the hospital choice.

There is a website called Essential Baby that has a bit of information on Public and Private and also one called Bellybelly.

I am not sure about the Joondalup area but SOR I was told that it is possible to switch from public to private in the second half of the pregnancy. I believe this is due to obs having more availability and most of the ones that work privately down here also work publicly and there were less gap fees (also no management fee)

One of the things to do is to phone the hospital and find out who delivers there and what the options are. Then you can phone the secretary and they can give you all the fees. You need to ask if they are gap covered with your health fund. I think you also have to check the stay in hospital is also covered by your particular fund. In case an anesthetist is required you can ask if they use a particular one. Sometimes these are gap covered and sometimes not.

As far as I am aware the management fee is to kinda book your ob. They will also have someone to cover them should they be unavailable. I believe that this management fee can be claimed on medicare (just a %) but again you can ask the secretary how much you will get back.

Once you go over a threshold with medicare you start to get more back on other things to.

Sorry I am not explaining this very well but most obs can give you an indication of what sort of cost you will incur so that you can work out your choices.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will be along to help answer this better than I can.

p.s ask around to see if you can get in to see a gp-obstetrician in your area that bulk bills. They can discuss options with you. I went to my gp and ended up paying for something that the gp ob was doing for free. Offering some simple advice about where to get started. Booking scans, arranging bloods and urine samples. All bulk billed.
p.s After finding out about private hospitals and even having the cover I am still sitting on the fence about which I would use.

I know I would require a third c-section so if there is anyone with advice about Rockingham or Peel I'd appreciate that input to. (Sorry not meaning to hijack your thread)
Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your invaluable advise. I will pass on this thread to my wife and let her decide what is best. Cheers...
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:34 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I used to work for a nursing agency where we placed midwives in both private and state hospitals. When some of them became pregnant they all opted to have their babies in the state hospital. If anything goes wrong during the birth the babies are transferred to the state hospital anyway. They are the ones with the experts and the special care units. I had both of mine at King Edward (state) and it was fine. I had my own room and ensuite on the ward and although they were busy it was fine. Then for my second I went to the birthing unit which was a small cottage attached to the hospital run by midwives. I was the only person in there and had the best possible experience. The only snag being that you can only stay there for 24 hours. It was like being in a small home, I even had a private patio and one to one midwife care. If anything went wrong I knew I could just be wheeled to the hospital. It was fantastic. Beware that in Australia the private hospitals are more obstetrician led and there is ahigh rate of caesareans. It all depends on your wife of course and what her wishes might be.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I went private with my daughter (here in Vic).

Most visits to the ob were covered- once a month to 7 months, then every 2 weeks, then weekly. I had to pay a scary 2000 dollars for something or the other, but as we had already spent more than 2000 that calendar year on Medicare, I got 80 pct back. Also had to pay for her insurance which was about 900 bucks, completely out of pocket.

Care was fab, had an emergency C in the early hours of Sunday morning and the ob was there before the theatre crew. Also had to pay out of pocket for paediatrician to check over newborn.

Apart from that everything was medicare or private.
Most obs will give you a rundown as you go for your first visit....but move quickly the best ones fill up fast. 7 weeks is getting late!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:53 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't assume private is best.

I know in QLD the public hospitals pay the nurses more and have a higher nurse to patient ratio.

You are much more likley to get a c-section if you go private as well.

I know the lady across the road was induced a week early so the delivery would fit in with her Obstratitions holiday

Regards,
Dave....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin
Don't assume private is best.

I know in QLD the public hospitals pay the nurses more and have a higher nurse to patient ratio.

You are much more likley to get a c-section if you go private as well.

I know the lady across the road was induced a week early so the delivery would fit in with her Obstratitions holiday
Low-risk births are only low risk afterwards.
If the newborn baby needs resuscitation, I want the experts on-call 20 seconds away in the neonatal unit not 20 mins away at another hospital.
This is the most dangerous day of your baby's life- sorry to sound harsh but your "birth experience" should be irrelevant.
Medical insurance for obstetricians is 5-figure sums for a reason.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:38 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Had all ours in the RBWH for that reason.

Although going private in a state/public hospital gives you the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by dpande
Low-risk births are only low risk afterwards.
If the newborn baby needs resuscitation, I want the experts on-call 20 seconds away in the neonatal unit not 20 mins away at another hospital.
This is the most dangerous day of your baby's life- sorry to sound harsh but your "birth experience" should be irrelevant.
Medical insurance for obstetricians is 5-figure sums for a reason.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Hi

I had my baby in Joondalup in May, and we went Public. Could not fault the staff they were lovely!!

Only gripe was food. It was hard to get something to eat from them outside the Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner slots. I was starving by the time I gave birth but it was too late for Brekkie, and too early for Lunch. They got me a salad sandwich about 2 hours later.

Other than that, I would happily have my next baby at Joondalup!!

Good Luck with the pregnancy.

Tracey
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:33 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Regards,
Dave....
HI Dave,

i am a midwife and i am coming over to oz in jan to work in a puiblic hospital. I have been chatting to lots of midwives in oz and the general consensus amongst uk midwives working in oz is - go public if you want a 'normal' birth!!

Birth in oz is still very medicalised and private hospitals have higher rates of caesarean sections, forceps/ventouse delivery than public hospitals, as doctors tend to deliver the baby. Public is more like uk maternity care where the midwife will look after you and deliver your baby. If there are any problems during the labour there are always doctors to hand.

I wish you luck in whichever choice you go for.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by di90
HI Dave,

i am a midwife and i am coming over to oz in jan to work in a puiblic hospital. I have been chatting to lots of midwives in oz and the general consensus amongst uk midwives working in oz is - go public if you want a 'normal' birth!!

Birth in oz is still very medicalised and private hospitals have higher rates of caesarean sections, forceps/ventouse delivery than public hospitals, as doctors tend to deliver the baby. Public is more like uk maternity care where the midwife will look after you and deliver your baby. If there are any problems during the labour there are always doctors to hand.

I wish you luck in whichever choice you go for.
This is definately true. Even though I know know I will be having a section one of the reasons I am thinking of public is so I can have a midwife do all my anetnal care. There is some figure out there that midwives are more likely to pick up things in a pregnancy. Having already seen a gp ob I want a midwife to care for me.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Regards,
Dave....

Hi Guys,

I had a baby 7 months ago in a private hospital in Central Brisbane. I saw the same Dr for all my antenatal visits, he delivered me, and followed me up afterwards....so great if you want continuity of carer....but this does come at a price. I think I was out of pocket about $6k even after the insurance company paid their share. You will then need to pay for the paediatrican to attaend the delivery, and your bubs 6 week check, plus any anaesthetic costs associated with the delivery.
If having a private room, nice food/drink, private ensuite bathroom, TV etc is important to you, then go private. I however work in the public sector and think the overall care is pretty good. You have to be prepared to share your sleeping facilities and bathroom etc......
If going private in the public sector, there are two options A and B.....One means completely private (inc Dr for delivery etc) and the other means simply you are given a private room (much cheaper option) beware though...going private in the public sector often means sharing a bathroom with another patient, eating the standard ward meals, and getting whoever happens to be on call deliver you (unless completely private)
Most the private hospitals have a very high C Section rate...simply because most of the patients opt for this mode of delivery, and it is more convenient for the obstetrician.....and some do have special care facilities for sick newborns, but often won't cater for very premmie babes <32 weeks gestation.
Hope this helps!
Tanya