Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Giving birth in Aus, how does it compare?

Giving birth in Aus, how does it compare?

Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:09 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Giving birth in Aus, how does it compare?

Originally Posted by terrym
Thanks very much for all this info, it's really helpful.

We're staying in Wellington Point for the first five weeks while we look for somewhere for a longer term rent. This is one of the problems - we're not entirely sure where we're going to end up after the first month, we're probably going to move further down to Gold Coast so it's difficult to be able to choose a doctor/midwife/hospital etc until we decide where we're going, I think that's one of the things that is making me the most nervous.

Nat
well, at 12 weeks there's still plenty of time to go so don't panic about hospitals and stuff. Might still be worth making contact with a doctor when you arrive so you can keep tabs on everything.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And, do you know what's also good news, if the mum to be is less than about 13 weeks into it all ......

For babies delivered on or after July 1st 2006, the (PR) parent now gets $4,000 maternity grant, up from $3,000 in the current year

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...y_how_maty.htm
Hope baby hangs on until the due date then, we are due 5th July, not that we're doing it for the dosh or anything - I wouldn't say no to an extra $1000
Old Dec 31st 2005, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrym
Thanks very much for all this info, it's really helpful.

We're staying in Wellington Point for the first five weeks while we look for somewhere for a longer term rent. This is one of the problems - we're not entirely sure where we're going to end up after the first month, we're probably going to move further down to Gold Coast so it's difficult to be able to choose a doctor/midwife/hospital etc until we decide where we're going, I think that's one of the things that is making me the most nervous.

Nat
Hi Nat,

We just had our first child at the Redland Public Hospital 2 weeks ago. If you are staying in the bayside/Redland Shire area, you may want to consider this hospital. They offer ante-natal classes and all sorts of services. You have choices of going with midwives only (BMCS) or "shared care" where you see your GP in addition to the midwives in the hospital. We went for the BMCS (Bayside Midwife Community Services) and have been very happy with everything. The Redland Public is next door to a Mater Private Hospital, and the two hospitals share a lots of services and doctors.

If you need more information, please feel free to PM me.

Congratulations and all the best with your pregnancy.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Dec 31st 2005, 7:31 am
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi congratulations on your pregnancy!
I am a midwife and nurse and worked as both on the sunshine coast QLD for a while, mainly on antenatal/postnatal wards and few shifts on the labour ward in a public hospital.
From a staff members point of view the staffing levels were SO much better than the UK.
I had much fewer patients to look after, women stay in much longer and get better initial support if it is wanted. There is no postnatal community care from a midwife so many women do stay in longer. However there was scope to phone for advice and pop back and get advice when home.
new baby checks and our health visitor checks were done by the GP and practice nurse.
in a public hospital much similar to here in that midwife cares for you Dr's will pop in and out but ultimately midwife does delivery. As I understand it in private hospital midwife cares for you in labour but Dr's will do exams and do the delivery, not everyones cup of tea anyway, but then I would say that!
Generally the public hospital I worked in was CLEANER and more scope for private rooms. Could be a private patient in a public hospital, but not quite sure how that works.
If I can help with anything else please ask, I will try my best. kind regards ff.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

TazDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic compared to England by the sounds of it! Most of my friends have given birth in the UK have done so in hospitals, but I had my son in Australia and I have no complaints at all. Really great midwives/doctors and lovely bedside manners. Good luck with your move and congratulations. I wish you all the best.

Taz
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

My understanding from people I have spoken to is that in govt. hospitals, you stay for around 2 nights once you have had the baby whereas under private it's 5 nights (in Melbourne, can't speak for the rest of the country) but it may be worth bearing in mind if a) it's your first child b) you don't have a lot of support in terms of parents or in-laws, family or friends etc to help you out. My sister just had her first baby and went private and she found the help she received invaluable.

Congrats on your happy news and all the best
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:51 am
Just Joined

debplowman is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived here in Sydney 3 and a half years ago from London 19 weeks pregnant. I had already had a daughter in the public system in 1998 so can compare both systems and I think they're very similar. I didn't see any need to go private here, though lots of people do. I gave birth at Manly Hospital and it was wonderful. I had a room to myself for 5 days (you get to stay in much longer here!) and I can't fault the midwifery services.

Congratulations and don't worry!!

Deb