Reload this Page >

give us your 5 reasons why your happy in oz

give us your 5 reasons why your happy in oz

Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

whiteknuckleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default give us your 5 reasons why your happy in oz

hi everyone ,

this has probably been covered before but after reading 5 reasons for wanting to move back to uk (which most of them wanting to move back was from oz)leaves me a little concerned as we are considering giving it a try ourselves.

my trade is engineering and my wife is a staff nurse who has had a job offer in sydney and we have 2 children 7yrs and 4yrs.

so whats your 5 that keep you from the uk

many thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: give us your 5 reasons why your happy in oz

Originally Posted by whiteknuckleman
hi everyone ,

this has probably been covered before but after reading 5 reasons for wanting to move back to uk (which most of them wanting to move back was from oz)leaves me a little concerned as we are considering giving it a try ourselves.

my trade is engineering and my wife is a staff nurse who has had a job offer in sydney and we have 2 children 7yrs and 4yrs.

many thanks.
Hi
We're here a year today. We have both landed decent paying jobs...our son is happy with the outdoor lifestyle and school???....we enjoy the weather as wel, you cn plan to do things of a weekend and not have the British weather stop you!...we have made some Ozzie friends who are lovely and have wicked senses of humour...and we're looking at property to buy now. I can say all that we truly miss is family, but with email, telephone, Skype etc I think we keep in tuch more now tha we did when we were in Britain....we were prepared to give this our best shot, nothing worse than sayng what if i ten years time.....we love it and wouldn't dream of going back to Blighty.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: give us your 5 reasons why your happy in oz

hi everyone ,

many thanks.

Hi,
We have been here for 20 months and only just stopped feeling homesick, so it really does take about 2 years! Our reasons for staying are:-

1. Weather is definitely better, last weekend we went to the beach and had a picnic with friends and just chilled which we will do for the majority of the next 20 odd weekends to come.
2. We are able to do the sports that we love all of the time. Weather doesn't restrict us, although perhaps distance to the mountains restricts us on those extreme sports.
3. We live right near to the beach and our apartment overlooks the Harbour
4. We have been able to buy a yacht which we could not have done in the UK
5. Money is not as good jobwise as the UK but we are able to progress in our jobs far better than what we could have done in the UK as our employers push us to go on courses and improve ourselves all the time.

Seriously, you have to give it a lot of time. After 20 months we are only just feeling settled here but can't say how we will feel in another 20 months. Just go with the flow, like you would in the UK. It takes time to establish friends here and get some history with them that makes us all feel at home. Family seems only a mile or so away with Skype and MSN.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:48 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone ,

many thanks.
1 Our kids
2 Our kids
3 Our kids
4 Our kids
5 Our kids
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:27 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband MUCH happier in his work
Lots of good restaurants to eat in and much cheaper
Outdoor lifestyle
Near the beach and large city so the best of both worlds
It's good to step outside your comfort zone and take on new experiences
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:36 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

1. Better and safer place to bring up children (IMHO)
2. We actually see my husband for our evening meal and my husband sees our children when they are awake!
3. Given more opportunities to be involved with our children at school/ in hobbies. In UK were not even allowed to help out in your own childs classroom without (paying for yourself) and having a police check done.
4. much more of an outdoor healthier lifestyle.
5. Amazing social life we never have to wonder what are we going to do with ourselves next weekend!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of these may only apply to Victoria or the bit I live in.

1. The weather is much better, which makes the beaches (and life) better.
2. Loads of different landscapes and lots of interesting history.
3. The kids playgrounds are much better.
4. The people are friendlier.
5. We can drive to the snow in Winter.

Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
2. We actually see my husband for our evening meal and my husband sees our children when they are awake!
3. Given more opportunities to be involved with our children at school/ in hobbies. In UK were not even allowed to help out in your own childs classroom without (paying for yourself) and having a police check done.
5. Amazing social life we never have to wonder what are we going to do with ourselves next weekend!

1. Husband works less hours in his job here. He didn't have that option in UK
2. My ex isn't here - so I feel safer.
3. Away from certain family members
4. Weather is so much nicer
5. A more laid back lifestyle
6. Cleaner environment (where I am)
7. My asthma has practiaccly vanished
8. Experience of a lifetime (always wanted to live somewhere other than UK)

Sarah
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Don't need to bother typing mine out as I will just quote ljj above, mine are identical.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

1) SPACE, rural living on the terms we wanted - breaktaking scenery in our own village
2) Quiter pace of life, even in Melbourne CBD
3) Best of both worlds between culture, restaurants and activities
4) Better weather
5) Kids love it

My daughter is 1 year old and this last 6 weeks loves being outside on the deck where she almost amuses herself.

I dread to think how we all would have coped with a 1 or 2 bedroom flat.It would have been a strain for all of us.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

1. Gone through an Aussie winter and didn't get S.A.D.
2. Don't have to turn on lights at 2pm in winter
3. No more thick coats, hats and scarves
4. Much bigger house and garden
5. We spend lots of time outdoors

hi everyone ,

many thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone ,

many thanks.
I don't have a list of five for you - just a few things to bear in mind. Remember the reasons why you wanted to leave in the first place. Remember that everyone's different and just because person A didn't make a successful emigration, doesn't mean that person B won't. Remember that there are currently over one million UK born immigrants living in Australia and weigh that number up against the number of people posting in the MBttUK section. Remember that when people are unhappy, they need an outlet and their unhappiness manifests itself in a variety of ways that cruelly play on what they perceive is 'wrong' with the country they chose to move to. Remember that it needn't be forever if you don't want it to be - that the UK's going nowhere and will always be a flight away. Embrace the differences, don't compare and enjoy the ride.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
1 Our kids
2 Our kids
3 Our kids
4 Our kids
5 Our kids
Our Kids better lifestyle.
Open space
The weather.
Lovely home with a pool
Lovely friends
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:23 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

my 5 reasons simply are

1. I'm Happy
2. My kids are happy (and thriving!)
3. Hubby is happy
4. We have just bought a Ski boat (something we'd never be able to do in the UK) and the kids just love it !!
5. Overall we have a better lifestyle, we are more relaxed, get to spend more time doing things as a family, and everytime we go out to do something.. its an adventure
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

1) Better opportunities- Mark would never have been given the chance to be a mature apprentice in UK.
2) Much more outdoor time/lifestyle as weather is generally more conducive to being out and about
3) Neighbours etc are much friendlier- we know them and party with them (in all 3 places we have lived) which we never did in UK.
4) Lots of space and time to do things
5) Working hours are not as manic (unless of course this was just London life)

Some people will settle, some people won't. Ultimately just like some UK people love living in rural Scotland, others will hate it and adore London....horses for courses and only you can judge if the place is for you. (and I agree it does take 2 years for homesickness to pass/feel settled on average)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.