Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Give Private healthcare serious consideration.

Give Private healthcare serious consideration.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Give Private healthcare serious consideration.

This made me really think about giving up our Private Health Insurance in OZ which I am often tempted to do.

Male friend age 38 just diagnosed with Bowel cancer. Its early stages, Chemo and Surgery should be able to give him very good odds of survival.

However, Public Health System has a eight month waiting list before he can even start treatment, let alone surgery.

With Private cover, treatment would start immediately.

To complicate matters further being employed the Aussie way as a casual by the hour he now faces no income, no sick pay, no job guarantee.

Its something I never thought about, at our age we dont expect to get sick, but Private cover in his case could have saved his life. His option now is to sell the family home to raise the money for the treatments and surgery.

This post is not to start some slanging match about which country has the worst waiting lists, I am sure both are horrendous. Its just a post to say perhaps we should all think a little bit harder about what our circumstances would be if something similar happend. And of course What price is our health worth, from now on I think mine is worth the $2000 a year premium for my whole family.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Give Private healthcare serious consideration.

Originally posted by dotty
This made me really think about giving up our Private Health Insurance in OZ which I am often tempted to do.

Male friend age 38 just diagnosed with Bowel cancer. Its early stages, Chemo and Surgery should be able to give him very good odds of survival.

However, Public Health System has a eight month waiting list before he can even start treatment, let alone surgery.

With Private cover, treatment would start immediately.

To complicate matters further being employed the Aussie way as a casual by the hour he now faces no income, no sick pay, no job guarantee.

Its something I never thought about, at our age we dont expect to get sick, but Private cover in his case could have saved his life. His option now is to sell the family home to raise the money for the treatments and surgery.

This post is not to start some slanging match about which country has the worst waiting lists, I am sure both are horrendous. Its just a post to say perhaps we should all think a little bit harder about what our circumstances would be if something similar happend. And of course What price is our health worth, from now on I think mine is worth the $2000 a year premium for my whole family.

Poor bloke. Very rough story indeed.

As you say, the only good thing from this might be that it makes others not take the risk and get private cover.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Give Private healthcare serious consideration.

It really does make you think. We only have anicallary cover as we can't "afford" full cover. But of course we can afford it - we just don't want to pay for it cos we think we'll never need it or think surely if it was life threatening you'd be seen to, but your story proves how wrong that can be. I hope things go okay for your mate and they can sort something out quickly.

It is definatley something to ponder..

Di
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this post Dotty, all the best to your friend. Like you I often think about cancelling our private health cover and this story made me realise how important our health is, what's the point of material possessions in life without good health.

My Auntie died of breast cancer at 38, as I'm approaching this age I'm paranoid about lumps / bumps, the thought of having to wait months for treatment if I did find something would be unbearable. My medicare premiums are worth every cent.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Treatment would also start immediately if you agreed to pay the gap payment (effectively what insurance pays). Insurance firms aren't charities, they have to take in more than they pay out to be able to exist.

So their is a third choice PAY YOURSELF and if you are reasonably healthy that is the most cost effective way to go. Why support greedy insurance companies whoses only interest is making money rather than looking after the patient.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Treatment would also start immediately if you agreed to pay the gap payment (effectively what insurance pays). Insurance firms aren't charities, they have to take in more than they pay out to be able to exist.

So their is a third choice PAY YOURSELF and if you are reasonably healthy that is the most cost effective way to go. Why support greedy insurance companies whoses only interest is making money rather than looking after the patient.
I'm sure just covering the gap payment would still be very, very expensive especially when you are treating cancer. Some people respond well to treatment, others can take years and who needs the worry of medical expenses when you're suffering from cancer.

I'm not a fan of insurance companies but we are seeing more and more pressure on Health Services (worldwide) and those who can afford it should consider covering their health.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

Looking at all ways to protect yourself is good. However in his case the surgery and treatments are expected to go on for months and the cost which I honestly did not ask, is enough for him it seems to have to sell his house. So it must be very substantial.

Some people suggest putting the fees you would pay to a health company in a separate bank account yourself, then have that money there if something goes wrong. Trouble is most of us are not that disciplined with money.

Thank you for your good wishes for our friend, really awful part is he seems so well, hes working as a carpenter up to the day of chemo starting, it all seems so totally unbelievable.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Dotty - what do you do when you need a smear test here? (sorry you men out there) Don't need one at the minute but will be due in the next year or so.

cheers
Di
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Dotty - what do you do when you need a smear test here? (sorry you men out there) Don't need one at the minute but will be due in the next year or so.

cheers
Di
Firstly find a girl doctor

They vary here some say every two years other say yearly, just make a normal appointment at your GP's they all seem to do them.

Oh and thank your lucky stars you dont live in Mount Isa, my mate got transferred there with the Bank and had to have above test done by some big black fella. (Not a racist remark folks just a girly horror moment).
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm think I'll move to Mount Isa.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hmmm think I'll move to Mount Isa.
Diane - you do make me laugh!