Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Girls Gymnastics in Melbourne

Girls Gymnastics in Melbourne

Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future
Default Girls Gymnastics in Melbourne

Hi

Anyone recommend gymnastics clubs in Melbourne, my two girls age 10 and 8 are both in the elite squad, training for 25+ hrs per week. We are at the medical stage of immigration and if visa granted would be settling in Melbourne and would be ideal to live close to a club. Have emailed Gymnastics Victoria but no reply yet

Thanks
A
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Girls Gymnastics in Melbourne

Depends where abouts you are in melbourne, my oldest was really into gymnastics before we left. Ended up with two of her coaches here coaching, one stayed a year and other here permanently. but he has moved to sydney in order to coach full time as it really is his passion. Through those coaches our oldest met her boyfriend (also a gymnast and coach).

This is still a painful subject for us here, as she LOVED gymnastics in scotland, had a large group of friends through it, just didnt work for her here, also i was struggling to pay it , as with every sport here you had to pay, gymnastics i would hazzard a guess it more expensive than the others.

Anyway if you tell me where in melbourne , i will track down the clubs.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Thats my fear that when taken away from the coaches and team that she will not enjoy it anymore! Is it more expensive in Oz? Sometimes the fees, competition fee and travelling to comps can be a struggle for me, hadnt thought of the costs there!!

My eldest age 10, is NI Level 3 champion, so she at really serious about it (at the minute!!)

I have brother in Langwarrin and a sister living in Aspendale, but not sure where we will settle, just dont want to make a long journey everyday to training
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

http://www.waverley.gymnastics.org.au/

Hi There went to a couple of competitions with our daughter to Waverley club, it sounds like it would suit the bill for your children, they have a couple of Olympic medal winners at the club.

We live in Langwarrin, might know your brother?

Waverley is quite easy from Langwarrin as it is just off of the Monash freeway.

Good luck with the visa,

Rob.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rob

Thanks for the info, my brother and his family has been in Australia 20+years, they are currently in Warrendyte.

Waverly was 1 of the clubs named by Gymnastics Victoria in an email this morning.

Is your daughter still at gymnastics, which club does she belong to?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Hi There,

Our daughter was only at the local "Bayside Gymnastics Club" here in Langwarrin although a nice club not the standard of Waverley, when we first went there for a competition the standard of the Waverley girls blew us away, but most of them like your kids were doing 24 hrs a week training, it was nice for our girls to see and they got to meet Georgia who was fresh back from Beijing.

She finished gymnastics quite a while ago now, moved onto something different, she now plays Netball for Frankston Fairway and she loves it.

Warrandyte is a very nice place, I used to drive through there every day with my first job in Australia.

You will have to let us know how you get along.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I think Waverley is considered one of the best down in Victoria. A friend of ours used to train with the AIS in Canberra and when they reduced the size of their programme, that is where she went.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info guys

Hope we get good news soon
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

BTYC is nearer to Warrandyte http://www.btycgymnastics.org.au/ along Springvale Road and near to the freeway to the City or the Dandenongs.

My kids were only ever beginners but I found it a lot better than one called Eclipse in Ringwood http://www.eclipsegymnastics.com.au/...tics/Home.html.

The other in that neck of the woods is Jets in Eltham http://www.jetsgym.com.au/?gclid=CLD...FcmDpAods1t7vA.

Good luck in finding somewhere they love and if you want any information on the area just ask.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flip
BTYC is nearer to Warrandyte http://www.btycgymnastics.org.au/ along Springvale Road and near to the freeway to the City or the Dandenongs.

My kids were only ever beginners but I found it a lot better than one called Eclipse in Ringwood http://www.eclipsegymnastics.com.au/...tics/Home.html.

The other in that neck of the woods is Jets in Eltham http://www.jetsgym.com.au/?gclid=CLD...FcmDpAods1t7vA.

Good luck in finding somewhere they love and if you want any information on the area just ask.
Thanks for the links, I will have a look at them
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

When I take my daughter to comps, MLC always stands out along with Waverley too. There's also the Victorian Women's High Performance Centre - where a few of the big names have trained.

We are in Geelong so I'm not sure where any of these are in relation to where you'll be though, sorry!!

That's a fantastic level to be at and here it'll be lots of money too. For example, my daughter is only in 2c (state level - it goes lowest to top: state, national then international (elite as I know they do similar hours to your two).......

In 2c she does 5 hours a week and it's just over $500 a term. Her comp leotard is $135, tracksuit is another $100 and the comps at her level about $35 each (we had 7 this year).

Someone I know was chatting to some MLC elite squad girls and from memory (which can be hazy!) they were doing 27 hours a week and it was about $7000 a year for basic training......they were waiting at the airport to fly to Perth at the time and they'd obviously had to pay for that too.........

It is an expensive sport and even at my daughter's level, far more than I'd pay for most other sports but she absolutely loves it so we don't mind paying while we can!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itigo
When I take my daughter to comps, MLC always stands out along with Waverley too. There's also the Victorian Women's High Performance Centre - where a few of the big names have trained.

We are in Geelong so I'm not sure where any of these are in relation to where you'll be though, sorry!!

That's a fantastic level to be at and here it'll be lots of money too. For example, my daughter is only in 2c (state level - it goes lowest to top: state, national then international (elite as I know they do similar hours to your two).......

In 2c she does 5 hours a week and it's just over $500 a term. Her comp leotard is $135, tracksuit is another $100 and the comps at her level about $35 each (we had 7 this year).

Someone I know was chatting to some MLC elite squad girls and from memory (which can be hazy!) they were doing 27 hours a week and it was about $7000 a year for basic training......they were waiting at the airport to fly to Perth at the time and they'd obviously had to pay for that too.........

It is an expensive sport and even at my daughter's level, far more than I'd pay for most other sports but she absolutely loves it so we don't mind paying while we can!

Thanks for the info. Wow that is really expensive, especially when I have two to pay for

The girls coach is gonna have a look at the facilities and send a few emails, hopefully guide us in the right direction.

Not sure where we will settle depends on my OH job, he is in the aerospace industry so Geelong may be one option.

Got are visa granted a few day ago, so now we can start making plans