Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Girlie Questions

Girlie Questions

Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Default Girlie Questions

With just 4 weeks to go before moving day, I'm sorting through my clothes etc, deciding what to bring and have a few questions:-

1. Can you get Clinique and Elemis products in Oz?
2. Are there any clothing items that you took to Oz and didn't need or items you wish that you had taken?
3. Am I ever going to have a chance of wearing my strapless ball-type dress, bought from Monsoon and never worn???

You can see that it's these important issues that are worrying me now - I've given up on the big things like booking flights, accomodation etc!

Rachel.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlie Questions

1. Yes to Clinique, not sure about Elemis. At Some Aussie airports you can buy last minute duty free before you go through customs - I know you can Brisbane. So you can buy on the Aus Dollar so it's even cheaper, and you don't have to cart it around the world with you.

2. Don't be fooled, you will need a jumper at some point, take at least one!

3. People don't seem to dress up as much over there. I'd love to say yes, but if space is limited...

God, I hope I can fit everything in my suitcase. I might be opening a can of worms here, but did you know that if you're emigrating, some airlines allow you double the weight in baggage - therefore more clothes??
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
God, I hope I can fit everything in my suitcase. I might be opening a can of worms here, but did you know that if you're emigrating, some airlines allow you double the weight in baggage - therefore more clothes??
Yes - I've been on the phone to Qantas about it today. They say that they will increase economy baggage to 40kg for migrants, but business class remains static at 30kg. Husband wants to go business as he is 6ft 4" and we have just had a bit of a 'discussion' as he can't work out why I think that I might need extra allowance!

I think I may just have to pack what I can and ship the rest.

Rachel.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
Yes - I've been on the phone to Qantas about it today. They say that they will increase economy baggage to 40kg for migrants, but business class remains static at 30kg. Husband wants to go business as he is 6ft 4" and we have just had a bit of a 'discussion' as he can't work out why I think that I might need extra allowance!

Rachel.
Hiya,
Been on phone with Singapore airlines today, if your going on a permanent residency visa they also up your baggage allow to 40kg.
From all reports they are much better to fly with than quantas and legroom is quite good 2, unless you have enough dosh to fly business class that is .
Cheers
Damian
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Rachel.
i'm pretty sure that when, in a moment of madness, my daughter and i flew business, the luggage allowance was quite a bit greater than economy. 42kg i seem to remember. we're also thinking of flying business when we eventually emigrate. last time i did royal brunei as it was the cheapest @ 1800 but i have been looking at austrian airlines who currently quote the cheapest in all classes, though you have to stop at vienna. at the moment though, i'm a bit concerned that one way is hardly any cheaper than return. i still have months to worry about this yet tho!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:08 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Interesting. Austrian airlines the cheapest to Oz eh? Any website links to share?

Anyone know if Cathay Pacific up the baggage allowance?
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

We went with Austrain Airlines last time. It was fine, apart from a few strange food options. I've got nothing to compare it to, so I can't comment on service etc.

Rachel.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:17 pm
Prodigal Daughter

rachelw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachel

I am a Bris Vegas girlie of old, and although I have not lived there for 10 years, my sister has just moved back.

She has a wardrobe full of little dresses and although she now seems to spend most of her time in jeans, she does manage to get out the dresses once in a while. I think you can pretty much get away with wearing whatever you want. And certainly when I was there on holiday late last year, there were loads of gorgeous dresses in all the shops.

You can definitely get Clinique, not sure about Elemis. I can find out for you if you are desperate to know?

Otherwise, I would take everything I loved (including winter stuff - it can get surprisingly cold in winter at night - especially if you are out on the water front having dinner in Redcliffe or something!) and leave anything you don't love!

Good luck with the packing. I am looking forward to getting that close!!!

Rachel
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel.
be warned - if you book Qantas you generally only get the extra baggage with the "migrant fare" - more expensive than the normal fares!! Singapore seem to be the most reliable for extra baggage.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
1. Yes to Clinique, not sure about Elemis. At Some Aussie airports you can buy last minute duty free before you go through customs - I know you can Brisbane. So you can buy on the Aus Dollar so it's even cheaper, and you don't have to cart it around the world with you.

2. Don't be fooled, you will need a jumper at some point, take at least one!

3. People don't seem to dress up as much over there. I'd love to say yes, but if space is limited...

but did you know that if you're emigrating, some airlines allow you double the weight in baggage - therefore more clothes ......... who cares about not having a job to go to when you know you can take more clothes than you hoped ???
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We flew business with singapore in Aug 2003 and got double allowance - 64Kg (normally 32) + 10Kg hand luggage = 74Kg each. As there were 5 of us we ended up with a total of around 360Kg

I seem to remember that I got about 10Kg to myself

Mike.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Couldn't really advise on any of your questions, except I'd def. take the dress!!, but just reading it did make me laugh!! When are you flying? We're off on the 14th March, (oohh that sounds great to say, can't get used to it). I can relate to your packing dilemma. I would consider myself an expert packer, always plan for the inevitable and take too much is my rule....but when the packers left me with my wardrobe for Jan/Feb/Mar, I realised I had many black tops to go with my specially chosen black and white skirt, and jeans. Unfortunately no black shoes or boots to be seen....and only one pair of jeans at that, so had to go and get another pair! Well Mr Logan did, cos he was sick of listening to me whinge about only having one pair!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by logan
Couldn't really advise on any of your questions, except I'd def. take the dress!!, but just reading it did make me laugh!! When are you flying? We're off on the 14th March, (oohh that sounds great to say, can't get used to it).

Wow! That's sooner than us! We're off on the 22nd March.

A made a big decision last night - the Laura Ashley 80's ball dress (velvet and gold) goes to the charity shop, but the Monsoon dress (2002, purple, strapless - it's nicer than it sounds) is shipped.

Next dilemma, how many black long-sleeved tops will I need before my shipped stuff arrives ...?

Rachel.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Wow! That's sooner than us! We're off on the 22nd March.

A made a big decision last night - the Laura Ashley 80's ball dress (velvet and gold) goes to the charity shop, but the Monsoon dress (2002, purple, strapless - it's nicer than it sounds) is shipped.

Next dilemma, how many black long-sleeved tops will I need before my shipped stuff arrives ...?

Rachel.
At least 3....as long as you remember the bottom of the ensemble and most importantly...the boots/shoes!!! Can you believe I even kept a small black bag behind...but no bloody black shoes/boots
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

wannalollipop is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Girlie Questions

I hated packing a leaving so much behind and the worry of having your clothes shipped and them not arriving - yuck....glad its all over.

depending on where you are headed you will need shoes - the most expensive thing to buy for women in oz - compared with europe.

if your going to qld you will be fine with mostly summer clothes ... but further down and i reccomend that you have a mix.

however i may be too late,....

Ive been in melbourne for 5 years - any questions you have ill be glad to answer...

good luck xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.