Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Gippsland Worm Museum

Wikiposts

The Gippsland Worm Museum

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default The Gippsland Worm Museum

Well I know it exists. It was mentioned in a Rough Guide I owned once upon a time.

Thing is, although I know where Gippsland is, and I know about the legendary 4 metre worms, I can't find the exact whereabouts of this shrine. Does anyone else know? Can't find the address on the web (before someone suggests I do a search).

Thanks

Neil (In dizzy anticipation)
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: The Gippsland Worm Museum

I can remember reading about this in the "Rough Guide to Melbourne", that I have just bought. I cannot remeber exactly what but when I get home I will find out and PM you

Michael.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:43 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.langlang.net/nearby.html

The Giant Worm Museum .
Located in Bass on the Bass Hwy., 20 min. drive past Lang Lang is The Giant Worm Museum, advertised as "The Wonder From Down Under", "a world first" and a place where you can "see the world's largest earth worms on display". This 100m structure, in the likeness of the worms it celebrates, allows the visitor to crawl through a magnified worm burrow and walk through a simulated worm's stomach. It also features a theatrette, a natural history of worms, a marine worm tank and a local history display.

Gippsland is in fact the only region in the world which produces the giant worms, which can grow to nearly 3 metres in length.

The attraction offers a unique opportunity of close contact & handling of our popular wildlife. Amenities - 150 seat coffee shop - gift shop, BBQ & picnic areas, toilets, coach & car parking. Open every day 10am - 5pm. Bass Highway, Bass. Contact (03) 5678 2222

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

A Godsend of a response.

Thank you.

Neil
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Smart Ass LOL
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:56 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

(I love google )
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Yes..(stands up)....I've been to the Gippsland Worm Museum....and it rocks!
Jeez, I feel better for that. It's better to get these things out in the open.
A few of us went there for nothing better to do a few years back.
Had a great time and when they say them fella's are big they arn't joking.
It had a fine gift shop as I recall with a nice display of miniture handbags one
of which I purchased and used to pay for drinks in pubs for quite some time.
Still have it somewhere.

Scotty.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Well I know it exists. It was mentioned in a Rough Guide I owned once upon a time.

Thing is, although I know where Gippsland is, and I know about the legendary 4 metre worms, I can't find the exact whereabouts of this shrine. Does anyone else know? Can't find the address on the web (before someone suggests I do a search).

Thanks

Is this the one on the highway down towards Phillip Island? Magnificent (!!) giant worm in the grounds!! Never went in but took a photo (sorry, poor quality). It's prob only an hour or two tops from Melbourne. The worm must rate up there with the Big Banana, Giant Pineapple, etc!!
Attached Thumbnails The Gippsland Worm Museum-worm.jpg  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn

Thanks

Went there last year on our way back from Phillip Island. They don't have any live worms any more (I think due to them being very rare?) but they have a display. Also they have lots of other aussie animals - koalas, kangaroos (which you can hand feed), wombats. The kids had a really good time and theres a nice cafe also.
Ruth