Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gift Ideas for family when leaving

Gift Ideas for family when leaving

Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Gift Ideas for family when leaving

We are leaving for Perth in January & wanted to pick everyones brains as to what they or intend to get for the family they are leaving behind. I have thought of the usual stuff like getting a family portrait done (a bit too formal for us I think) etc but am interested in what others have done. I am thinking of doing a memory board ie pictures of family events & important milestones in a clip frame - one for each of the sets of parents & also a memory board for the boys of their friends & family.

Any other ideas will be gratefully received!!!

In need of inspiration.

pockygoes
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gift Ideas for family when leaving

Box of chocs and a bottle of Jacob Creek Chardonney?
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Come on there must be more ideas - the box of chocs & a bottle of Chardonnay is expected anyway!!!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:26 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to get friends and rellies webcams!!

D D
Old Aug 27th 2004, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
I'm going to get friends and rellies webcams!!

D D
Great idea - better set it up for them before we go though - otherwise we will never get to them get it to work!!!!!

Anymore for anymore??

Pockygoes
Old Aug 28th 2004, 12:34 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about several possibilities

A) webcams for our parents so they can watch their grandchildren grow
b) make sure we have digital camera so we can e-mail photos for them
c) Write a scrap book with all the big stuff we do = like days out and new friends as we meet them - will give me something to focus on when first get there and nice for family = intend to send one every christmas as a snippit of our year in Oz
d) a nice thing is to buy say mums and female friends a necklace or something like that so they have something to where when they are missing you - my mum brought me a st christopher when i went travelling and every time I got homesick or in a dilemma i found comfort in just having it on! sentimental hey
e) a friend of mine went to oz and have small star tatooo on her toe and each point had a different colour dot to represent her best friends = cool hey

Think that was most of the stuff I have thought of doing, also nice photo for each of them and a book with all contact numbers of other halfs family so they can keep in touch with each other after we have gone

Cheers,

hope this helps some
Diddy
Old Aug 28th 2004, 12:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We left 3 very young nieces behind, the twins were only a few months old. As they're growing up we wanted to send them gifts they will have for a long time. We came up with the idea of a charm bracelet each. Charms are readily available in all the jewellers here and we send back the usual kangaroo, koala, dolphin etc taped inside their Christmas and Birthday cards.
Saves heaps on sending some useless lump of plastic toy/doll.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 1:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We left 3 very young nieces behind, the twins were only a few months old. As they're growing up we wanted to send them gifts they will have for a long time. We came up with the idea of a charm bracelet each. Charms are readily available in all the jewellers here and we send back the usual kangaroo, koala, dolphin etc taped inside their Christmas and Birthday cards.
Saves heaps on sending some useless lump of plastic toy/doll.

that is a really good idea,
Old Aug 28th 2004, 1:33 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
that is a really good idea,
I can't take credit for it. Though I am the Scrooge in the family. Deb and her sister both had the traditional christening charm bracelets I think that's where the idea came from.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

sarah d is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Gift Ideas for family when leaving

We are getting both sets of parents plane tickets, so there are no excuses about not being able to come and see us
Sarahxx
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

hey some fab ideas guys - I love the idea of the scrap books each year - that will make me focus on making sure I take lots of photos & keep leaflets etc of where we have been. The charm bracelet is a great idea for my neice too.

Not sure that I can inflict the pain of a tatoo though - too much of a whimp. :scared:

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:53 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

what about a guide book to Perth? - For our parents anyway we would like them to come out and see us, but I don't know how I would cope with them 24/7

Also gives them an idea on your new home, so when you say you have gone to such-a-place they can look it up. I know my mum enjoyed looking up about all the places I was visiting when I did a round the world trip a few yrs back.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any recommendations for a guide book for Perth? Might as well order now!

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The Lonely Planet guides are pretty good, don't kn ow if theres one specifically for perth though.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 5:07 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

How about these for starters, I'll see if I can find some more later.

Lonely Planet: Western Australia: ISBN0864425449
Walking Perth: ISBN 1864364513
Perth: Insight Pocket Guide: ISBN 9812580859

(look on Amazon for more details)

D D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.