Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gheccos in the house

Gheccos in the house

Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Gheccos in the house

Anyone have any idea how to keep those little gheccos out of the house at night?

I personally have no issue with them, but our crazy obsessive cocker spaniel goes off his face when he sees one on the ceiling, barking, climbing onto the furniture and jumping to try and catch the things!

Trouble is once he has seen one and it eventually scurries off to where he cannot see them, the stupid mutt spends the rest of the night on a ghecco hunt, running crazilly round the house with his eyes fixed on the ceiling
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gheccos in the house

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Trouble is once he has seen one and it eventually scurries off to where he cannot see them, the stupid mutt spends the rest of the night on a ghecco hunt, running crazilly round the house with his eyes fixed on the ceiling
Saves having to watch the telly
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have literally hundreds of them at our place, inside, outside on the verandah, downstairs. They are fabulous as they eat the insects (including the mozzies) & when we recently lined the verandah roof we even left a gap to allow the geckos free access.

Considered getting rid of the dog?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:40 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by hevs
Saves having to watch the telly

PMSL

Not for long though....our Springer due here soon :scared:

Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
PMSL

you never know, he might like the telly....
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The first year we had him, he was obsessed with trying to catch a mouse that was in the house. This started after we heard a scratching under the lounge, lifted it up, and a mouse ran out, straight between the dogs legs

We then moved to Qld, and last summer it was cane toads (he came in a few times foaming at the mouth). Many a fun night was spent trying to hose out his mouth whilst keeping a full set of fingers!

This year its gheccos. I am dreading to think what next years obsession is going to be for this crazy mutt
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:57 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We have literally hundreds of them at our place, inside, outside on the verandah, downstairs. They are fabulous as they eat the insects (including the mozzies) & when we recently lined the verandah roof we even left a gap to allow the geckos free access.

Considered getting rid of the dog?
You need to train them up to eat Rats
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Anyone have any idea how to keep those little gheccos out of the house at night?

I personally have no issue with them, but our crazy obsessive cocker spaniel goes off his face when he sees one on the ceiling, barking, climbing onto the furniture and jumping to try and catch the things!

I don't think you can do - ever seen a small Gecko, they're absolutely tiny and could get through just about anything. Perhaps Mrs DB's idea is easiest, get rid of the dog

Last edited by mlbonner; Feb 25th 2005 at 8:10 am.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I don't think you can do - ever seen a small Gecko, they're absolutely tiny and could get through just about anything. Perhaps Mrs DB's idea is easy, get rid of the dog
No way! Our socks are safe from all burglars (socks are another obsession for this hound). They may steal our TV, jewellry, computers whatever, but if they make a move towards any of our socks, the dog will have 'em!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

Springers and Geckos don't mix either! Well, maybe if your springer is an intelligent one it might be different, but the mutt we picked up, is as dumb as they come, and will happily run into windows and walls chasing a tiny little gecko.

I love the little critters, its great to watch them on the windows at night, stalking moths and bugs, until Jock crashes head first into the window trying to chase it.

When my folks were over from Scotland, they referred to them as 'chit-chats'? Anyone ever heard them called that before?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:54 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Springers and Geckos don't mix either! Well, maybe if your springer is an intelligent one it might be different, but the mutt we picked up, is as dumb as they come, and will happily run into windows and walls chasing a tiny little gecko.

I love the little critters, its great to watch them on the windows at night, stalking moths and bugs, until Jock crashes head first into the window trying to chase it. When my folks were over from Scotland, they referred to them as 'chit-chats'? Anyone ever heard them called that before?Cheers,
JTL
Our Springer is also as mad as a March hare. Sounds like all UK Spaniels are bonkers when it comes to Aussie wildlife. Thank god there's no crocs in Brisbane :scared:

Maybe we should start a thread "are UK Spaniels crazier than Aussie Spaniels"

My parents also used the term "chit -chats" so maybe it's a Northern thing?
Although my mother is German and she referred to them as "shit chats"...

Maybe she was talking about our conversations

Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

My parents also used the term "chit -chats" so maybe it's a Northern thing?
Although my mother is German and she referred to them as "shit chats"...

Maybe she was talking about our conversations
Can't say as i blame her

My Mum and Dad are from up north and Dad was in the RAF and posted in Singapore. Apparently there are "chit chats" a plenty there too
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:40 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Can't say as i blame her
Me neither

Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:34 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Can't say as i blame her

My Mum and Dad are from up north and Dad was in the RAF and posted in Singapore. Apparently there are "chit chats" a plenty there too
Hi

That's right - in my (Royal Navy) posting in Singapore they were always known as chit chats.

If one of them accidentally loses its tail, both parts keep moving for ages - don't know why, probably a nerves thing.

There - useless bit of info for you!!!

Jim
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:47 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Hi, I used to live in Singapore and Malaya and the gecko's were known there as chit-chats. Also youngest has just done a project on them and it is only the house gecko that is known by this name, he knows u know. I am looking forward to seeing them again, best bug busters I know of

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.