Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting your PR but not taking the plunge

Getting your PR but not taking the plunge

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Getting your PR but not taking the plunge

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on this possibility.
Scenario:
I want to live in Aus and I'm applying for PR. I don't think I have the bottle to give up a good job for what, I believe, will be very difficult to secure a similar job in Aus. I'm wondering that if my PR came through in April 2010, would I be allowed to continue living in the UK but work (teach) in Aus over July / August and then return to my job back in the Uk in Sept. I would repeat this when possible until a definite opportunity presented itself. Basically what I'm suggesting is that once my PR came through, I would keep my house and permanent job in the UK but fly over a couple of times a year for a year or two - does this makes sense???? sorry if it comes across badly.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting your PR but not taking the plunge

So long as you validate the visa ( ie enter australia) within the set period ( up to a year but sometimes less depending of expiry of meds and police checks) you then have 5 years from grant to make the move onthat same visa. In between you can come and go as you like.

After 5 years you need a residents return visa to get into oz. This is straight forward if you have been in Oz for at least 2 years but still possible in some circumstances even if not. Just make sure you check the details in plenty of time.

Should give you time to find a job - being a teacher I'd say you have a better chance than many as there will always be kids to educate!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:11 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

To be honest it sounds like a really good idea - that way you will have a chance to decide if Oz is really for you or not and to see what the job market is really like.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Scenario:
I want to live in Aus and I'm applying for PR. I don't think I have the bottle to give up a good job for what, I believe, will be very difficult to secure a similar job in Aus. I'm wondering that if my PR came through in April 2010, would I be allowed to continue living in the UK but work (teach) in Aus over July / August and then return to my job back in the Uk in Sept. I would repeat this when possible until a definite opportunity presented itself. Basically what I'm suggesting is that once my PR came through, I would keep my house and permanent job in the UK but fly over a couple of times a year for a year or two - does this makes sense???? sorry if it comes across badly.
Sounds fine, but where are you planning to find a job for only 2 months of the year? Generally schools are going to want teachers for the full academic year, not 1/2 way through for only a couple of months.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sounds fine, but where are you planning to find a job for only 2 months of the year? Generally schools are going to want teachers for the full academic year, not 1/2 way through for only a couple of months.
And the schools that will take someone one 1/2 way through for a couple of months might not give you the best impression of australian schools
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:32 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I was kind of assuming he was thinking of supply work - (although I'm not sure how registering with the relevant State Education System would work with moving backwards and forwards). In my area many ex-pat teachers start off doing supply before taking on a permanent role.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:36 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Scenario:
Sounds wonderful in theory but not sure about the practcalities/costs of doing this. So if you are still going to keep your permanent teaching job you would use the six week school summer holiday to fly to Oz and work. Sounds like all work and no play.

I think you need to some thorough research on teaching opportunities in Oz and then take the plunge and come to Oz permanently. If teachers are in demand and your research shows this then whats your problem ? If teachers jobs aren't plentiful, which you suggest is the case, then 6 weeks in July/August isn't going to be long enough to help you find a teaching job.

Also suppose you keep your permanent teaching job in the UK and therefore are contracted to start teaching again in September after your 6 weeks in OZ. So whilst in Oz during July/August you secure a permanent job in Oz. Are you seriously suggesting that you then fly back to the UK, resign from your UK teaching job, organise for your house to be let out, plus do all the 100s of other things you need to do before emmigrating, fly back to Oz, organise accomodation (short term and long term), car etc etc and start work immediately. You're having a laugh

As you say, its all about bottle. You either have it, or you don't
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

Sounds wonderful in theory but not sure about the practcalities/costs of doing this.
Agree, I mean what about your remote service, registration, and what school would want you if your avail only 5/6 weeks a year, even on supply.

Like many good ideas the practicalities sound a flippin nightmare, especially in red tape land.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Just a big thanks for your comments - all very interesting and much appreciated.
I have family living in Aus so accommodation is not a problem. If I can pick up supply work for a couple of months at a time then that's welcoming news as I'm hearing mixed messages. Interesting what was said about the 5 years, does age have anything to do with it? In terms of handing in my notice, I can get around that - I'm costing a school too much and they are heavily in debt, plus they owe me a favour or two!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Just a big thanks for your comments - all very interesting and much appreciated.
I have family living in Aus so accommodation is not a problem. If I can pick up supply work for a couple of months at a time then that's welcoming news as I'm hearing mixed messages. Interesting what was said about the 5 years, does age have anything to do with it? In terms of handing in my notice, I can get around that - I'm costing a school too much and they are heavily in debt, plus they owe me a favour or two!
As stated earlier, once your visa is granted, you have 5 years to make the move permanently, age is irrelevant once the visa grant is made!