Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting to your hotel in Hong Kong with monstrous amounts of luggage

getting to your hotel in Hong Kong with monstrous amounts of luggage

Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default getting to your hotel in Hong Kong with monstrous amounts of luggage

Hi
we will arrive in Hong Kong next Tuesday (4 of us) with at least one HUGE suitcase each.

Can you suggest the best way to get to our hotel. The Olympic Terrace apartments have offered collection for

Airport Pick-up: Private Mini Van HK$790 ( up to 4 passengers )
Airport Pick-up: Private Mini Van HK$990 ( up to 7 passengers )

The hotel is in West Kowloon

Any idea what my best option will be? Could mean two taxis but have no idea how much this will cost.
Thanks Tara
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:43 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting to your hotel in Hong Kong with monstrous amounts of luggage

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi
we will arrive in Hong Kong next Tuesday (4 of us) with at least one HUGE suitcase each.

Can you suggest the best way to get to our hotel. The Olympic Terrace apartments have offered collection for

Airport Pick-up: Private Mini Van HK$790 ( up to 4 passengers )
Airport Pick-up: Private Mini Van HK$990 ( up to 7 passengers )

The hotel is in West Kowloon

Any idea what my best option will be? Could mean two taxis but have no idea how much this will cost.
Thanks Tara

Tara, these quotes seem to be horrendous to me, I know it's been a few years since I lived there, but surely the exchange rate hasn't changed that much. HK$990 is almost £100 isn't it? If so that is outrageous. Two taxis at the airport will not be anywhere near that I wouldn't have thought. I know the airport is out on Lantau now, but it doesn't take that long to get to Kowloon.

Someone else who has been more recently may be able to help more, but I think you are being ripped off. Hong Kong taxis are plentiful and cheap, or they used to be.

Shirley

P.s. have a fab time and make sure you go up the peak on the tram, one experience you should not miss.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: getting to your hotel in Hong Kong with monstrous amounts of luggage

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Tara, these quotes seem to be horrendous to me, I know it's been a few years since I lived there, but surely the exchange rate hasn't changed that much. HK$990 is almost £100 isn't it? If so that is outrageous. Two taxis at the airport will not be anywhere near that I wouldn't have thought. I know the airport is out on Lantau now, but it doesn't take that long to get to Kowloon.

Someone else who has been more recently may be able to help more, but I think you are being ripped off. Hong Kong taxis are plentiful and cheap, or they used to be.

Shirley

P.s. have a fab time and make sure you go up the peak on the tram, one experience you should not miss.
thanks for the tip and reply
much appreciated

Tara
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:23 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Sounds like a rip off to me. We stayed 3 nights in Kowloon last Sep at the Shangri La and we took the airport train straight to Kowloon and they do airport shuttles from Kowloon station included in the price. It was fab....and VERY cheap. We too had LOADS of luggage and it was fine.....

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...airportex.html

Lucyb
xx
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi

Sounds like a rip off to me. We stayed 3 nights in Kowloon last Sep at the Shangri La and we took the airport train straight to Kowloon and they do airport shuttles from Kowloon station included in the price. It was fab....and VERY cheap. We too had LOADS of luggage and it was fine.....

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/a...airportex.html

Lucyb
xx
what a star
thanks Lucy
we have 3 hours to kill before check in so your idea sounds good
Tara
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Catch the Bus

That's what we did back in 2003 when we went for the rugby 7's. There was 4 of us then as well. It was cheap as chips and the buses are modern, clean and air conditioned. The journey from the airport is very scenic as well.

I think Hong Kong's public transport system has to be up there with the best in the world.

Good Luck.

P.S. you have to go to Stanley Market on the top deck of a bus - quite an experience!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ub40fan

Shirley

Sorry to be slightly off subject for a mo,but Shirley,when did you live in HK?
We were there from 1976-1979...
Lynn
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Catch the Bus

That's what we did back in 2003 when we went for the rugby 7's. There was 4 of us then as well. It was cheap as chips and the buses are modern, clean and air conditioned. The journey from the airport is very scenic as well.

I think Hong Kong's public transport system has to be up there with the best in the world.

Good Luck.

P.S. you have to go to Stanley Market on the top deck of a bus - quite an experience!
Wow,it's been a long time but i use to live by Stanley,i'd love to go back
Lynn
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:56 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

When you get off the plane and through baggage carousel - youll have your luggage on a wheely trolley thing - which you can wheel straight to the door of the airport express train (on the same level) , there are people there to help and you put your luggage in the luggage area in each cabin on the train there are 4 big luggage areas by each door so it wont be a problem. Plus the train goes every 10 minutes and is rarely full - so if it is just wait for next one.

When you get off - at Kowloon there are similar arrangements, and you need to just get to a taxi rank maybe get two taxis but taxis are dirt cheap (but not dirty). They are red toyotas with white roofs - you cant miss them ;-)

If you dont need all 4 bags - how about leaving some in the airport at left luggage - Im not sure how much it costs- I expect it wouldnt be cheap. The fair to kowloon on the airport express is about 160HK$ and it takes about 15 minutes in air-conditioned comfort on the train which is extremely modern ,clean , lovely (not like british trains at all). The train is a very relaxing calm-down session after the long flight. You cannot get lost on the train - and you wont get lost finding it. It only has 4 stops , big display above the doors tells you what the next stop is and how far to go until you get there, plenty of time to unload luggage etc .

Hong Kong is a fantastic place use the MTR(underground) its easy peasy and very safe and clean. The tickets you buy from a touch-screen display which is in english (and chinese) its cheap as chips and gets you everywhere. The trains have little route-maps on them that light-up at the station you are approaching so its almost idiot proof. If you are in kowloon try Mong-kok station to go to the ladies market , its open about 4pm I think but after about 9pm you can buy fake anything , and before 10pm you can buy loads of touristy stuff and t-shirts etc, its good fun to walk through and very bustly, goes on until about 1am. Buying anytihng at these markets you must haggle like mad - walk away, and they'll follow you - if they dont then you've gone to bottom price ;-)
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
If you dont need all 4 bags - how about leaving some in the airport at left luggage - Im not sure how much it costs- I expect it wouldnt be cheap.
That is a great idea - $120 for the first 48 hours, and $80 for each subsequent 24 hours after.
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/baggage.html

Can I just say I too love the Airport Express service in HK? The staff who help you getting your bags on and off the train do not and cannot accept any money from you, and they almost always smile at you. Everywhere else in the world, well, almost everywhere, if I see someone (esp. the red caps in the US/Canada) approaching me to help me with luggage, I just send them away. There was this one time I was checking in in Toronto, I had 2 huge suitcases. One of the red caps came over and offered his help. I said politely to him no thanks I can manage with the trolley, etc. He took my trolley with the luggage anyway. When I got to the check-in counter, 15 meters away, I gave him $2 and he had the guts to ask if I had more - he was expecting $2 or 3 per suitcase. I said I only had $2 in change. I wasn't going to give him a $20 note. He wasn't happy, nor was I!

If you are in kowloon try Mong-kok station to go to the ladies market , its open about 4pm I think but after about 9pm you can buy fake anything , and before 10pm you can buy loads of touristy stuff and t-shirts etc, its good fun to walk through and very bustly, goes on until about 1am. Buying anytihng at these markets you must haggle like mad - walk away, and they'll follow you - if they dont then you've gone to bottom price ;-)
Spalen, is this where you got yourself your 24k Rolex and your wife the latest Luis Vuitton bag?! Just kidding...

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:42 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Wow,it's been a long time but i use to live by Stanley,i'd love to go back
Lynn

Hi Lynn, you should if you could. HK has changed a looooooot since then. I think I'd much prefer those days - less crowded, less polluted, less developed!

Tara, don't forget to have ride on the Star Ferry, a lovely, relaxing 10 mins journey. I quite like the night market on Temple Street myself, check that out if you have time. Have a great time there!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:32 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Spalen, is this where you got yourself your 24k Rolex and your wife the latest Luis Vuitton bag?! Just kidding...

Mrs JTL

No it was a breitling and I gave it to my little brother ;-) , Ive stopped wearing handbags since an incident in a nightclub in England.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:38 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem in Singapore. We just left the luggage at the airport and took what we needed for a few days.

I've done this for every stopover including HK. It doesn't cost much and is safe. Saves alot of hassle.

Paul.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks everyone
x
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:06 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Sorry to be slightly off subject for a mo,but Shirley,when did you live in HK?
We were there from 1976-1979...
Lynn
Hi Lynn

We were there from Jan 93 through to May 96. We lived up in Kowloon, daughter was born on the Peak. We went back in 2001 for the Rugby 7's and to have a look see if it had changed much. I think the Chinese know they are onto a good thing and had pretty much left it alone really.

We are thinking of stopping over on the wasy to Oz to show the youngest where she came into the world.

Shirley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.