Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting used to the weather?

Getting used to the weather?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future
Cool Getting used to the weather?

Perhaps all of you that have moved to Oz could help me here. My other half is beginning to panic that she isn't going to be able to cope with the hotter weather in Oz as she is struggling with the heat here at the moment. I keep telling her that we will acclimatise to it, but will we? So do you acclimatise to it or not, many thanks in advance Andy
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:20 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting used to the weather?

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Perhaps all of you that have moved to Oz could help me here. My other half is beginning to panic that she isn't going to be able to cope with the hotter weather in Oz as she is struggling with the heat here at the moment. I keep telling her that we will acclimatise to it, but will we? So do you acclimatise to it or not, many thanks in advance Andy
I'm interested in the replies that you get to this one, Andy. It could have been my dh that wrote this.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

You will find Aust is more user friendly in hot weather than the UK or Europe, as just about every thing is airconditioned......................... mm
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:27 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I visited Oz whilst it was coming to the end of their summer.

The temperatures were still in the high 30's. We felt O.K and my husband (who normally can't cope) was fine.

It was 30 C here today, and we couldn't stand the heat at all

The thing you have to take into account is the humidity. In U.K the high humidity makes it much more unbearable. The humidity in Oz tends to be a lot lower, and the temperature I feel is much more bearable
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:36 pm
aussie73

Most people in OZ are struggling with the cold not the heat this time of year.
Its about 8 degrees in Melbourne at the moment, where you intend to immigrate to. You would be using a heater or fireplace alot more then an airconditioner in Melbourne. You won't find the heat much of a problem in Melbourne it has cold winters and mild summers ,the weather is under 25c degrees most of the year except for a few hot days during summer.

Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

I would agree - because of the lower humidity, temps of 30C or lower are comfortable here. Temps between 30 and 35C are slightly uncomfortable and temps higher than 35C are a no-no. Think we had 16 days in Melbourne of 30C plus temps last summer. Bit cool now though, especially indoors.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

My husband seems to be the same as your wife, which is one of the reasons we ended up in Melbourne. The summer of 2003/4 was an eye-opener because we had one day which reached 43 degrees (I remember it was Valentine's day). That was a shocker, even for us and we grew up in South Africa. Brace yourself because they do happen but they are few and far between in Melbourne so I wouldn't stress too much but I would recommend getting a place with cooling (and heating).
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you headed? Its a large island so theres every type of weather to choose from.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:31 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Neil S
I would agree - because of the lower humidity, temps of 30C or lower are comfortable here. Temps between 30 and 35C are slightly uncomfortable and temps higher than 35C are a no-no. Think we had 16 days in Melbourne of 30C plus temps last summer. Bit cool now though, especially indoors.
Apart from Hobart and Canberra, Melbourne has the coolest weather of any city in OZ , you will only get around 15 really hot days a year, as Neil S said they only had 16 days of 30C plus Temps last summer.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What about adjusting to the cold in freezing, uninsulated houses? It got down to -2.3 degrees at Jandakot this morning.

I tell you what, it was so cold last night I couldn't sleep, even under my big thick doonah (duvet).
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
What about adjusting to the cold in freezing, uninsulated houses? It got down to -2.3 degrees at Jandakot this morning.

I tell you what, it was so cold last night I couldn't sleep, even under my big thick doonah (duvet).
Gawd Poms are funny - sleeping out under a doona on an aerodrome in mid winter. Could understand if it was summer and you had an early flight.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Megalania
Gawd Poms are funny - .
We are

I'm sitting here thinking.. It's getting cold.. and what do I do, nothing...

What should I do ? Well, I could go and put a long sleeve shirt on, or even go and turn the heating on.

But i'm going out soon, and it's warmer outside so I do nothing...

It's almost middle of winter now aswell !!

Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:29 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We are

I'm sitting here thinking.. It's getting cold.. and what do I do, nothing...

What should I do ? Well, I could go and put a long sleeve shirt on, or even go and turn the heating on.

But i'm going out soon, and it's warmer outside so I do nothing...

It's almost middle of winter now aswell !!
Yeah thats funny sitting here freezing - but in shorts & T-shirt, the concept of putting on a jumper or long trousers seems a bit alien .... like you'd wear a short & t-shirt in UK in october/november, you'd be mental. Perhaps thats what you do - you acclimatize and in the process you go mental too.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:32 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hevs
Where are you headed? Its a large island so theres every type of weather to choose from.
A continent, dearest.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
Apart from Hobart and Canberra, Melbourne has the coolest weather of any city in OZ , you will only get around 15 really hot days a year, as Neil S said they only had 16 days of 30C plus Temps last summer.
As far as I am aware Canberra is generally hotter than Melbourne in summer.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.