British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting an Upgrade (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-upgrade-197177/)

Badge Dec 16th 2003 3:37 pm

Getting an Upgrade

I am thinking about how we might get an upgrade on our Atlantic and Pacific flights.

Apart from:
1) Dressing smartly
2) Checking in early
3) Asking politely - worth a chance

are there any others tricks of the trade you can do?

Badge

tinaj Dec 16th 2003 3:50 pm

Have a shave and wear loads of aftershave:D :D

Pollster Dec 16th 2003 3:53 pm

Tell 'em it's your honeymoon or that Mrs B is preggers!! (or both :D )

Rossi Dec 16th 2003 5:05 pm

Mate,
easiest way to an upgrade happened on the wife's flight.
Wait for an hour or so after take off.....get up to the loo and pretend to faint.......hey presto move to 1st class easier to keep an eye on you

pudnut Dec 16th 2003 5:57 pm

Originally posted by Rossi
Mate,
easiest way to an upgrade happened on the wife's flight.
Wait for an hour or so after take off.....get up to the loo and pretend to faint.......hey presto move to 1st class easier to keep an eye on you
LOL
:D The airlines are now going to have an epidemic of fainting fits.
I hadn't thought of that one!! Will bear it in mind though!!
Pudnut...

walaj Dec 16th 2003 6:04 pm

Originally posted by pudnut
LOL
:D The airlines are now going to have an epidemic of fainting fits.
I hadn't thought of that one!! Will bear it in mind though!!
Pudnut...
If you do try it, make sure it is after the plane has taken off.

A few years back I twice blacked out (for real) whilst waiting to check in. Had the medics come to my assistance. My concern was that the could declare me not fit to fly.

All I got was use of the business lounge, but no upgrade on the flight. :(

WBB Dec 16th 2003 6:24 pm

Re: Getting an Upgrade

Originally posted by badgersmount
I am thinking about how we might get an upgrade on our Atlantic and Pacific flights.

Apart from:
1) Dressing smartly
2) Checking in early

Badge

i got an upgrade on a flight once, have not got a clue why but i did !

could not fault the mini bar

:beer: :D

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 6:26 pm

Re: Getting an Upgrade

Originally posted by badgersmount

Apart from:
1) Dressing smartly
2) Checking in early

Badge
fake press pass.

Pollyana Dec 16th 2003 7:52 pm

Sometimes an upgrade is forthcoming cos Economy is overbooked and Business isn't full - thats one time when it helps to have a Frequent Flyer card for that airline or alliance, as they will look at card holders first.
Certainly look smart, be polite, make your interest known and check in as soon as you can. mentioning honeymoons or something has been known to work (depends on the check in staff!).
A lot depends on the airline - some just won't do it. Plus of course if Business is full you are on a loser, also if there are VIPs on board its unlikely to work. Getting an upgrade on one leg doesn't mean you'll get it on the next leg of the flight by the way, but its always worth asking.
My mum fainted on a flight to the US once - BA put her in Business for the flight, so yes that one does work (if there are seats left of course!)

Of course there are other useful ways to get up front.......if you know any crew of the airline they can put a note on your PNR (airline computer booking record)!

Luck of the draw really though, and much less common than it used to be.:)

Badge Dec 16th 2003 7:55 pm

actually we've just acquired frequent flyer cards for the airlines we're going with..as we feel that these flights will be the first of many of trans-global flying..

Badge

WBB Dec 16th 2003 7:56 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Getting an upgrade on one leg doesn't mean you'll get it on the next leg of the flight by the way, but its always worth asking.

dont i know it !!!

the upgrade i got was from brisbane to tokyo, i had to turn right for the tokyo-london leg.

Pollyana Dec 16th 2003 7:58 pm

Depressing huh WBB? You spend the rest of the flight dreaming about what you are missing!

WBB Dec 16th 2003 8:00 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Depressing huh WBB? You spend the rest of the flight dreaming about what you are missing!

you are dead right there polly, sometimes you are better off not seeing how the other half live.

:D