Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GETTING UK TV IN AUSTRALIA

GETTING UK TV IN AUSTRALIA

Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all
Default GETTING UK TV IN AUSTRALIA

Hi,
just been looking into how i would go about getting UK whilst in Australia and came accross what is called a sling box. sounded great, the only problem is i have nobody in the UK to hold the box with and set up the connection with. anyway i came accross a company called UKTV 2C (http://www.uktv2c.com/)who have everything set up in the UK and you just pay them £40 a month for their services which is to provide you with UK TV. Just wondering what is anybodys thoughts on this ?has anybody heard of this before, does anybody use this company?
Thanks
Jemma
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future
Default Re: GETTING UK TV IN AUSTRALIA

Why would you go all the way to Australia and worry about watching UK tv?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi,
just been looking into how i would go about getting UK whilst in Australia and came accross what is called a sling box. sounded great, the only problem is i have nobody in the UK to hold the box with and set up the connection with. anyway i came accross a company called UKTV 2C (http://www.uktv2c.com/)who have everything set up in the UK and you just pay them £40 a month for their services which is to provide you with UK TV. Just wondering what is anybodys thoughts on this ?has anybody heard of this before, does anybody use this company?
Thanks
Jemma
because terrestrial tv is pretty poor out here. Each to their own
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

will u b going home every other week end 4 the football....dont want 2 miss that do we?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
because terrestrial tv is pretty poor out here. Each to their own
Yeah but it's pretty dreadful in the uk? £40 a month?? Surely you'd be better just downloading certain programmes off the net?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

the_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wats123
Yeah but it's pretty dreadful in the uk? £40 a month?? Surely you'd be better just downloading certain programmes off the net?
Can you actually do that cos I've been told ycant access BBCi over there on the net to download programmes, something to do with the TV license!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:48 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So 60 pounds a month gets you Sky. Thats 150 bucks. More than the top level subscription to Foxtel with an IQ2 box.

Add on top how much bandwidth your going to chew through your internet connection (as all our broadband is metered) I should imagine this is a very expensive proposition and for what really, not to mention just a bit sad. Why migrate here and not want to watch local news and absorb some of the culture which tv influences (not all in a good way obviously).
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi,
Thanks
Jemma
A lot of the adverts are exactly the same as the UK since that was about the best thing on TV 40 quid seems a lot to pay for the few adverts I miss!

But before you do anything the member known as Hutch has a link on his signature that gives you a definitive guide which may be a better option for you.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_nanny_uk2
Can you actually do that cos I've been told ycant access BBCi over there on the net to download programmes, something to do with the TV license!
I'm not sure. But i'm not planning on watching much tv. The only thing I'll miss is the football, but as long as i find somewhere with foxtel i'll be happy.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

I brought the slingbox pro prior to me emigrating in Jan 09. My intention is to leave it with my sister and have it plugged into an aerial for freeview. You could go the whole hog and attach it to a multi room sky box so you could change the channel however the reception is dependent upon the speed of your broadband.

Even over here live streaming is not good enough for full screen playback on a 17in screen so you will have to have it semi minimised.

If its only for freeview, to be honest £40 seems a little steep, dont you know anyone you could send it to and just have an aerial plugged into it?

Great piece of kit tho.

Sean
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:32 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wats123
I'm not sure. But i'm not planning on watching much tv. The only thing I'll miss is the football, but as long as i find somewhere with foxtel i'll be happy.
If you get your broadband with iiNet you can watch the Premier League, live and on demand replays, for nowt...
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrWho
If you get your broadband with iiNet you can watch the Premier League, live and on demand replays, for nowt...
Excellent, I'll check them out when I arrive. Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

There is a really good article on this from one of the contributors to this forum - I apologise for not having the name, but I do have the link:

http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

Twinset