Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Uk adsl modem to work in Oz?

Wikiposts

Getting Uk adsl modem to work in Oz?

Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:19 am
Formerly Windsurfer UK

windsurfer WA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Uk adsl modem to work in Oz?

Been here a month now,got a job, house and all that stuff. Have spent longer trying to get my thomsen speedtouch 330 modem to work for the broadband than it took on the flight to get here. Finally dawning on me that because the settings are default for the uk I am flogging a dead horse . Have tried every thing, anyone any ideas before i give up and buy an oz one tommorow, by the way, we love it here.
Kindest regards Windsurfer WA
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:30 am
Badge

Default Re: Getting Uk adsl modem to work in Oz?

Originally Posted by windsurfer WA
Been here a month now,got a job, house and all that stuff. Have spent longer trying to get my thomsen speedtouch 330 modem to work for the broadband than it took on the flight to get here. Finally dawning on me that because the settings are default for the uk I am flogging a dead horse . Have tried every thing, anyone any ideas before i give up and buy an oz one tommorow, by the way, we love it here.
Kindest regards Windsurfer WA
By changing the settings on my ADSL Netgear router/modem I got it to work perfectly, but I get password protected access to the configuration via a web page.

I did have momentary issues when I moved house but Bondipom got me on the right track again when memory failed me.

If you get another one, I recommend you get a wireless one, get wireless dubry for your PC - hey presto - no more wires. We use a laptop which means you can surf from the comfort of your couch - which probably explains the high post count of so many of us..

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Apr 17th 2005 at 12:34 am.

Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

SnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant future

Interesting this, I've got a Speedtouch 330 as well. We move out next month so I got in touch with Thomson who make it and they replied that it should work fine with no adjustments. Maybe they do not know their own products so well!!! I will await a more advised outcome from here.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:24 am
Formerly Windsurfer UK

windsurfer WA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SnapOff
Interesting this, I've got a Speedtouch 330 as well. We move out next month so I got in touch with Thomson who make it and they replied that it should work fine with no adjustments. Maybe they do not know their own products so well!!! I will await a more advised outcome from here.

Well I have just spent another hour on it here and have got better things to do in Oz than fiddle around with this thing, still on dial up up to now so will order a modem from IP aanet and start again. I have become a hermit in this room instead of going outside in the sun and playing with the kids and enjoying what we came here for in the first place. Think I have messed around with it so much I have altered everything anyway! At least if I buy a modem from provider they will support it. Good luck with the move by the way.
Regards windsurfer W A
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh the problem here is, when the Data flows down the pipe, it does so in the opposite way than it does in England, Try turning the modem upside down.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

SnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant future

Sure it's not the Correiollous(??) effect, that same one that makes water spin down the plug hole the opposite way!!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SnapOff
I am sure someone on the forums on www.whirlpool.net.au has a thread on the alcatel.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 330 as well! (Ex Virgin UK). I am thinking of going BB and was hoping to use it - any more clues about settings etc?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I have the 330 as well! (Ex Virgin UK). I am thinking of going BB and was hoping to use it - any more clues about settings etc?
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=236265
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

I'm the other way round,moving back to the UK and have a speedtouch 530 modem,so what do I do regarding getting broadband over there,phone up a good ISP and tell them I have a modem and subscribe or is it more complex than that????
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:49 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafoo1
I'm the other way round,moving back to the UK and have a speedtouch 530 modem,so what do I do regarding getting broadband over there,phone up a good ISP and tell them I have a modem and subscribe or is it more complex than that????
Or swap your Oz modem for my UK one - win-win!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers! I won't know until I sign up, but it's a start.

And, having then completely b************d up the registry, I may never be heard from again. (Every cloud...)
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

If you get another one, I recommend you get a wireless one, get wireless dubry for your PC - hey presto - no more wires. We use a laptop which means you can surf from the comfort of your couch - which probably explains the high post count of so many of us..

Badge[/QUOTE]

Wireless great isnt it, hubby got it set up for me when I was pregnant so I could play on the laptop from the couch or bed or wherever I was comfy, rather I sat on the couch with it in the morning and was still there when he got home as I was too fat to get up off the couch by the end !
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bondipom - thanks, just the kind of info required. Hopefully when we arrive settle in etc it will be one less thing to keep us from the beach. I'd already done a search on Whirlpool , but looking for Thomson, now I know.