Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting totally hacked off with the Schools situation here in Perth.

Getting totally hacked off with the Schools situation here in Perth.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting totally hacked off with the Schools situation here in Perth.

It's hard enough trying to find a house without always having to consider whether the local schools are any good.

We decided long ago that we wanted our children in the private system over here. Partly for the consistency that one of us didn't have in the UK State system, and partly that the other went to a really good British Private School.

The 3 schools recommended to me will all take our 3 week old no questions asked. But only one will take our 20 month old from Pre-Primary unless we get a form signed by our local Vicar (where is local when we haven't yet decided where we are settling? ) to say we have attended Church at least 3 times a month for the last year. (St Stephens will accept same letter from UK Church).

Whilst we do have religious beliefs we didn't attend Church on a regular basis back in the UK. It all seems so darned hypocritical.

Oh and to register our interest in the 2 St Stephens schools we have to pay $93.00 per child per school, so that's 4 x $93.00.

Sorry, don't mean to rant..........................

Mrs J

On a more positive note..........both boys have been accepted at Bunbury Cathedral Grammar (Top 10 school and so incredibly helpful) but that's a fair old commute from here :scared:
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting totally hacked off with the Schools situation here in Perth.

"Whilst we do have religious beliefs we didn't attend Church on a regular basis back in the UK. It all seems so darned hypocritical."

I'll do you a letter saying you went to church for 3 weeks consecutively. 2nd Day Church of HokeyPokey , lower bottom, hampshire, england.. If they didnt specify the denomination then make itup ;-). If you get caught and they say it was divinity that warned them that you'd faked it then run for the hills and start wearing a sandwich board.

We had to go through this for our wedding (long time ago) - had to go to church for a month and 'shake hands' with the priest to make sure he saw us otherwise it was no go for the ceremony in the church. Its like bloody loyalty points in coffee shop. Havent been since in any meaningful way ( other than christenings!).

If they are asking you for this stuff and you're not truly that motivated in that direction then think carefully about what they'll be doing to your kids in indoctrinating them into the religion....

"Religion is a highly charged subject and each is entitled to their own opinion , beliefs, and values".
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting totally hacked off with the Schools situation here in Perth.

Originally Posted by spalen
"Whilst we do have religious beliefs we didn't attend Church on a regular basis back in the UK. It all seems so darned hypocritical."

I'll do you a letter saying you went to church for 3 weeks consecutively. 2nd Day Church of HokeyPokey , lower bottom, hampshire, england.. If they didnt specify the denomination then make itup ;-). If you get caught and they say it was divinity that warned them that you'd faked it then run for the hills and start wearing a sandwich board.

We had to go through this for our wedding (long time ago) - had to go to church for a month and 'shake hands' with the priest to make sure he saw us otherwise it was no go for the ceremony in the church. Its like bloody loyalty points in coffee shop. Havent been since in any meaningful way ( other than christenings!).

If they are asking you for this stuff and you're not truly that motivated in that direction then think carefully about what they'll be doing to your kids in indoctrinating them into the religion....

"Religion is a highly charged subject and each is entitled to their own opinion , beliefs, and values".
Thanks very much

I went to a Christian School - Chapel 4 times a week, and I'm ok
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:01 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Thanks very much

I went to a Christian School - Chapel 4 times a week, and I'm ok
Yeah so did i .... Im not
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spalen
Yeah so did i .... Im not
Hee hee
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, it is hypocritical - no different here though. The sister-in-law got her kid into the local Catholic grammar by going to church a few times, despite the fact that she's Methodist, hasn't attended church regularly since she was about 11 and doesn't plan on introducing any form of 'spiritual' element into the up-bringing of her kid. I don't know what they're like these days, but I was raised Catholic and attended both Catholic primary and Secondary schools - hymms in the morning, chapel once a week, all that crap. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, but thanks to my grade B o'level in Religous Education I can at least argue the case when the Jehovah's show up
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

But only one will take our 20 month old from Pre-Primary unless we get a form signed by our local Vicar (where is local when we haven't yet decided where we are settling? ) to say we have attended Church at least 3 times a month for the last year. (St Stephens will accept same letter from UK Church).

Do you have to stay awake during the sermon?

You are entitled to rant and take your business elsewhere. With the baby drought, these schools will be begging for customers soon. Years ago Kings in Sydney would only take the sons of old boys. Now they will grab you off the street.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard enough trying to find a house without always having to consider whether the local schools are any good.

We decided long ago that we wanted our children in the private system over here. Partly for the consistency that one of us didn't have in the UK State system, and partly that the other went to a really good British Private School.

The 3 schools recommended to me will all take our 3 week old no questions asked. But only one will take our 20 month old from Pre-Primary unless we get a form signed by our local Vicar (where is local when we haven't yet decided where we are settling? ) to say we have attended Church at least 3 times a month for the last year. (St Stephens will accept same letter from UK Church).

Whilst we do have religious beliefs we didn't attend Church on a regular basis back in the UK. It all seems so darned hypocritical.

Oh and to register our interest in the 2 St Stephens schools we have to pay $93.00 per child per school, so that's 4 x $93.00.

Mrs J

On a more positive note..........both boys have been accepted at Bunbury Cathedral Grammar (Top 10 school and so incredibly helpful) but that's a fair old commute from here :scared:
oh crap!!! really? i assume these are Cathoilic schools you are approaching?? oh no!!! i better get myself to Mass on Sunday!!

this is bad news!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, now lets look at it from the other side - my family are C of E, dad was a vicar, my sister has brought her children up attending church almost every week, Sunday School, church-orientated primary school. When it came to my nephew looking at secondary schools - in the UK, can't afford private, there is an exceptionally good one with close links to the church they attend now. My bro-in-law is a sidesman there, the kids all in Sunday School there, my sister helps to run it, nephew a leading chorister.
Yet he nearly missed out on a place at the school because part of the entry requirement was to attend church regularly in the two months before applying. My sister said the church was suddenly filled with 10 year old kids, who had never set foot there before and never intended to again - but their parents wanted to get them into the school cos of its reputation. So many kids, not enough places. Fortunately he got in, but I can't help feeling its a bit hypocritical of those parents who just send their kids to church purely to get a school place, especially if genuine members of the church community lose out because of it.

(nothing in this post is saimed personlly at any forum member by the way! Religion is such an emotive subject and I don;t want to offend anyone)
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, now lets look at it from the other side - my family are C of E, dad was a vicar, my sister has brought her children up attending church almost every week, Sunday School, church-orientated primary school. When it came to my nephew looking at secondary schools - in the UK, can't afford private, there is an exceptionally good one with close links to the church they attend now. My bro-in-law is a sidesman there, the kids all in Sunday School there, my sister helps to run it, nephew a leading chorister.
Yet he nearly missed out on a place at the school because part of the entry requirement was to attend church regularly in the two months before applying. My sister said the church was suddenly filled with 10 year old kids, who had never set foot there before and never intended to again - but their parents wanted to get them into the school cos of its reputation. So many kids, not enough places. Fortunately he got in, but I can't help feeling its a bit hypocritical of those parents who just send their kids to church purely to get a school place, especially if genuine members of the church community lose out because of it.

(nothing in this post is saimed personlly at any forum member by the way! Religion is such an emotive subject and I don;t want to offend anyone)

i can totally see where you are coming from and my post above was a bit vague and misleading.

i know what you mean - that does happen all the time. we are catholics and girls go to a catholic school and i totally agree with you - we probably should go to church more than we do (well., me actually!!!) the girls go every sunday with my parents cos im too lazy to go every week

it is a nonsense - but i would have to sit front row and practically wave at our priest every sunday for him to see me. im a school gov and im sure he still doesnt know who i am!!??

im sure there are others out there who are far more deserving than me - maybe i should drink less saturday nights and then i might make it everysunday!!??
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Lake Joondalup Baptist College don't discriminate on the basis of faith, its purely a wait list thing (apart from if there are siblings already there) and you don't need to attend any church. A 3 month old should get into primary by the right time. It's as good if not better than the other nearby religious schools, I know a number of the teachers and they are really dedicated to the school.
ATB in your choices, I sincerely hope you find the right place for your family.
Larissa
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:46 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean Pollyanna, my brother and sis-in-law are not religious at all and in fact were just going to have naming ceremonies for their kids but then changed their minds and had their kids christened purely so that if they wanted when they are older they can marry in a church!!!!!!!

To me that is hypocritical, why do it if you're not a believer?

It does seem a bit unfair that people who do indeed have faith but dont attend church regularly are penalised because of this though.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Hiya,
Quite agree with your post. That's what I'm saying. I think it would be hypocritical of us to go to Church just for this reason. Don't get me wrong, I do have beliefs and have been to church in the past, it's just that with a toddler and newborn it's not something on my 'to-do' list!!!
Thanks Pollyanna
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rooksie
oh crap!!! really? i assume these are Cathoilic schools you are approaching?? oh no!!! i better get myself to Mass on Sunday!!

this is bad news!!
No we are C of E.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Larissa
Lake Joondalup Baptist College don't discriminate on the basis of faith, its purely a wait list thing (apart from if there are siblings already there) and you don't need to attend any church. A 3 month old should get into primary by the right time. It's as good if not better than the other nearby religious schools, I know a number of the teachers and they are really dedicated to the school.
ATB in your choices, I sincerely hope you find the right place for your family.
Larissa
Thanks Larissa, yes that one is on my list, just hadn't heard much about it. I'll call them tomorrow. Very odd to be planning for a 3 week old