Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting teletext (subtitles) in Australia on a UK TV

Getting teletext (subtitles) in Australia on a UK TV

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Getting teletext (subtitles) in Australia on a UK TV

We have a TV coming over from the UK which has teletext on it which I need because of the subtitles for the programmes. I know that I will probably have to run the TV through an Oz video or DVD machine, but I was wondering whether the teletext bit of the TV would work. I was a bit daft because I rushed to buy a bargain TV over here and forgot to ask whether it had teletext, which I later found out it doesn't. So I can't hear any of the programmes since I need the subtitles!!! I was hoping that my UK TV might do the trick - if not I'll be off to buy yet another TV!!!
Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting teletext (subtitles) in Australia on a UK TV

Sorry. fon't know the answer to that question but have you tried Foxtel:

http://www.foxtel.com.au/209_2762.htm
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:34 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We have a TV coming over from the UK which has teletext on it which I need because of the subtitles for the programmes. I know that I will probably have to run the TV through an Oz video or DVD machine, but I was wondering whether the teletext bit of the TV would work. I was a bit daft because I rushed to buy a bargain TV over here and forgot to ask whether it had teletext, which I later found out it doesn't. So I can't hear any of the programmes since I need the subtitles!!! I was hoping that my UK TV might do the trick - if not I'll be off to buy yet another TV!!!
Thanks
Check in the store with the people who sell digital set top boxes - I believe that the Digibox does the decoding of the subtitles - so if your VCR option doesnt work - the Digibox (60-90$) should work.

Get a look at the digibox working in the store - if the menu to 'enable' subtitles is part of the digibox menu - then the digibox does it.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:48 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

all though we only get teletext/subtitles on channel 7 through a digibox
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer to you question, sorry.

But I am not sure that many programmes actually have subtitiles here do they? I think most did in the UK, but it doesn't seem like it's nearly so common here.

I hope for your sake that I am completely wrong!!!

Rudi
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:25 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Thanks

Like you I need to subtitles to watch a programme and we used our English tv with text here when we first arrived. If your tv is new then check the set up of it and see if it will change to the Oz system. If not the tv will still owkr and you'll just have to buy a set top box and they start around $99. Instead of 888 like the UK it's 801 here, but if you have a set top box then subtitles can be accessed from that.

Lorraine
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:12 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

You need to look at it a different way.

Normal teletext, on analogue transmissions, gets transmitted with the tv signal (those little white dots at the top of the screen).

This means it's up to the channel doing the transmission to provide the content. There's no magic button you can press to automatically 'textualise' the audio regardless of where it's coming from - someone somewhere has to physically key the words in for every programme (obviously). This is an extra expense for the TV companies that I imagine they don't think is justified, now that people can use the net for most things (apart from subtitles, unfortunately).

I've found only 1 channel in Oz that has text of any kind on analogue, so that's why you get tvs here that don't have the capability - there is nothing to see anyway!

You may have to go digital (i.e. get a digital set top box) to get anything resembing what you used to in the UK. But, I've no experience of digital here - perhaps someone can provide more info as to what you get and on what channels. If you go this route the text is provided a different way, so you don't need a 'teletext' TV.

BTW - If anyone knows of any other channels that provide text on analogue, please let me know, I can't find any - apart from Channel Seven (?).

You may not have to use a vcr or set top box just to get your tv to work - it depends on the make and model and how compatible it is with Oz's TV system (PAL B/G - as opposed to UK's Pal I).

If you do watch the through the video, I not sure text would work - I'll do a test tonight and let you know. But, as I said, there may not be much to see anyway...

Cheers,

Big.

Last edited by Big Galah; Aug 3rd 2006 at 7:38 am.