Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting sick in Oz

Getting sick in Oz

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting sick in Oz

I don't know about you but I've noticed that everyone in the UK seems to be sick at the moment. All 3 of us are not well, coughing, colds, ear infections etc. A lot of people at work & here in Woldingham are not well. I grew up in South Africa & know that getting colds & flu does not only occur in cold countries (I think that Air con causes a lot of it in hot places) & that we have a 2 year old germ incubator (I mean son). Does/is the same thing happen in Australia?, do you find people getting sick at the same rate as the UK?.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting sick in Oz

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't know about you but I've noticed that everyone in the UK seems to be sick at the moment. All 3 of us are not well, coughing, colds, ear infections etc. A lot of people at work & here in Woldingham are not well. I grew up in South Africa & know that getting colds & flu does not only occur in cold countries (I think that Air con causes a lot of it in hot places) & that we have a 2 year old germ incubator (I mean son). Does/is the same thing happen in Australia?, do you find people getting sick at the same rate as the UK?.
I agree with the theory about the air-con being responsible for people getting sick.

I haven't really noticed people getting sick in droves and I work in a retirement village :scared:

In Oz I think that we don't get as many visitors from Overseas and perhaps that MAY help decrease the amount of cases of the flu?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:36 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Amazulu,
you could alway's live in the bush & never see a soal during the winter!

Failing that opel mining?

Only kidding.

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Colds, 'flu and respiratory tract infections are worldwide.

Australia will be no different.

There was a thread on here not long ago about the same thing.

The consensus was that you are more likely to get ill when you move as you will encounter strains of germs you are unused to.

Colds are more common in cold weather as the membrane in your nose and throat etc. are more susceptible to picking up germs in the first place.

Remember most 'Flu strains start off in warm climates such as Asia.

No differnce I'm afraid.

G
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:01 pm
Coogee Rocks

I get sick here a little but it could be from swimming after raining etc...

Amazulu funny you should mention the little village my parents live in and where I used to live!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed my kids are hardly sick here at all. In actual fact they had no days off school last year due to sickness. They have both been poorly, but have bounced back very quickly, not the usual doses of amoxycillin throughout winter! This may have something to do with them being a little older, but i also think it might be to do with having no central heating in the winter

I have had 2 stinking cols in nearly a year and 1/2, but again, no antibiotics for the usual dose of tonsilitus?? Strange. I hadn't really though about this till now..........
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this one........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268780
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hevs
I have noticed my kids are hardly sick here at all. In actual fact they had no days off school last year due to sickness. They have both been poorly, but have bounced back very quickly, not the usual doses of amoxycillin throughout winter! This may have something to do with them being a little older, but i also think it might be to do with having no central heating in the winter

I have had 2 stinking cols in nearly a year and 1/2, but again, no antibiotics for the usual dose of tonsilitus?? Strange. I hadn't really though about this till now..........
Your poor kids. No day's off school. You must be really mean!! Amoxycillin sucks. I took it for acute bronchitis and it made me feel pretty crook. Then I did my research and learnt that Bronchitis was viral (anti-biotics don't do anything to it) and that prescribing anti-biotics for it was controversial. grrr

I don't know if we get sick less often than in the UK but I still get my full qouta of "sickies" in. I mean being sick of work is still being sick
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:39 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as my kids started school here in the UK they seemed to be entering a breeding ground of infection etc. I just imagined that when they got to Australia they would continue to get anything that was going round. Tummy bugs (not that my kids seem to have them too often fortunately) are always being mentioned in the playground year round but colds, ear infections etc seem to be limited more to the winter months. So are kiddie illnesses seasonal in Australia? And are our children likely to be more susceptible?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:40 pm
Merlot

No different I think, I have suffered badly back in the UK as getting used to a new climate and set of bugs.

We had the rounds of bugs in every office I worked in, like in the UK. People off with flue & colds.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's the one I was thinking of Polly

G
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:51 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

I get many fewer colds & flus in the bush - but not none - some strains seem more infectious and need little proximity to people to spread.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's the one I was thinking of Polly

G
Thought it might be! Since writing my contributions on there I've continued to be sickly, and my eyes have now given up - have to see an eye doctor next week for problems related to climate and air conditioning! Anyone who tries to tell me life here is healthier gets very short shrift at present!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coogee Rocks
Amazulu funny you should mention the little village my parents live in and where I used to live!
It's a nice place, probably the best place i've lived in the UK. What street do your parents live in?. We live just off Slines Oak Road.

Small world.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:06 am
Coogee Rocks

It's a nice place, probably the best place i've lived in the UK. What street do your parents live in?. We live just off Slines Oak Road.

Small world.
On Woldingham Road down the bottom.

I didnt like it when I was a young teenager but soon grew to apricate the countryside and a train ride to London when I got a little older.

Fairly big world at times though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.