Getting settled

Old May 8th 2005, 11:48 am
Just Joined

chinaword is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Getting settled

After about 1 year, we have had our skilled migration visas approved.
Now, I wonder if anyone can give advice on getting settled in Australia. By this I mean, are there any references, documents we should bring with us? I am wondering if when we open bank accounts or rent a house if we might need to show some references. Maybe utility references, back references from home. Would that be helpful to show as we would have no credit references in Australia. I would have an employer to verify my income but other than that not much.
I do have an NCB referecne form my auto insurance company.
i wonder if anyone can give some suggestions on what to have on hand when we start to settle in.
Old May 9th 2005, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Getting settled

Originally Posted by chinaword
Now, I wonder if anyone can give advice on getting settled in Australia. By this I mean, are there any references, documents we should bring with us? I am wondering if when we open bank accounts or rent a house if we might need to show some references. Maybe utility references, back references from home. Would that be helpful to show as we would have no credit references in Australia. I would have an employer to verify my income but other than that not much.
i wonder if anyone can give some suggestions on what to have on hand when we start to settle in.
I would prepare a file to bring with you which contains:

1. recent bank statements
2. recent credit card statements
3. insurance documents (life, car & occupational)
4. proof of no claims discounts
5. recent utility bills
6. mortgage details or rental agreement
7. certified copies of qualifications
8. work references

To name just a few. I was shocked by how many times I needed to produce bit of information. Also having this documentation made it easier to get a car loan.
I would open a migrant’s bank account with the commonwealth bank while still in the UK. However, I would then transfer it to another bank when you get here. The Commonwealth bank are not as competitive than so others.

OPTUS
Old May 9th 2005, 7:05 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chinaword
Hi Chinaword,

We had every reference known to man tucked away in our hand held luggage which we carried with us via America, Bank statements from Lloyds, past employers, ect, ect. However, we had set up an account with the commonwealth bank 4 months previous to our arrival and had transfered a substantial amount to their London branch so that we could transfer this over to Sydney, when we went into the Sydney branch the manager told us to get the estate agent to ring him when we found a lease house we liked and he would sort it out, we therefore didn't require any of the other references.

Marie(Milo)
Old May 9th 2005, 7:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

There was a very similar thread started a couple of days ago, which you might want to have a look at:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300303

GG