British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   getting a ring to Aus - how??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-ring-aus-how-278543/)

lauralollipop Jan 19th 2005 9:00 am

getting a ring to Aus - how???

hi

I have got a ring on order here with Goldsmiths, but its not going to come in time for my departure on 30th Jan :mad:

The ring is all paid for and made to meausre etc.....plus i love it, so we have just kept it on order hoping it might arrive just in time! knowing our luck it will probley arrive just after we go.

We were thinking if this happens, we will get FIL to pick it up from the jewellers and bring it with him to Aus when he comes to visit, but thing is he isnt comming for a holiday till xmas, and i am so impatient.......I want it now!

Does anyone know of anyways to get a ring sent to aus and how much it will cost, is it insured and if its risky etc????

Also would customs charge you import tax, or do you think you could take it out of the box and say its an old one you left behind in the UK and its just gettin sent back:confused:

any ideas would be appriciated :)

thanks

laura
xx

Sandy.l Jan 19th 2005 9:12 am

Re: getting a ring to Aus - how???

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi

I have got a ring on order here with Goldsmiths, but its not going to come in time for my departure on 30th Jan :mad:

The ring is all paid for and made to meausre etc.....plus i love it, so we have just kept it on order hoping it might arrive just in time! knowing our luck it will probley arrive just after we go.

We were thinking if this happens, we will get FIL to pick it up from the jewellers and bring it with him to Aus when he comes to visit, but thing is he isnt comming for a holiday till xmas, and i am so impatient.......I want it now!

Does anyone know of anyways to get a ring sent to aus and how much it will cost, is it insured and if its risky etc????

Also would customs charge you import tax, or do you think you could take it out of the box and say its an old one you left behind in the UK and its just gettin sent back:confused:

thanks

laura
xx

Why don't you just ask the store to send it 'International Signed For' with the extra insurance option. Have a look on the Royal Mail website for info.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/

We send money & stuff over to my step-daughter all the time and nothing has ever gone astray with this service.

Sandy

ABCDiamond Jan 19th 2005 9:15 am

thanks

laura
xx

If you send it by post or courier etc, at a rough guess they would charge import tax, or at least GST. But then you MAY be able to claim the VAT back ? But, paperwork at both ends.

To avoid duty at this end, they may say it is up to you to prove it isn't new. And, by the sounds of it, they may have a better chance to prove it is.

lauralollipop Jan 19th 2005 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
Why don't you just ask the store to send it 'International Signed For' with the extra insurance option. Have a look on the Royal Mail website for info.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/

We send money & stuff over to my step-daughter all the time and nothing has ever gone astray with this service.

Sandy

cheers sandy, ill look into that.

ABC Diamond,

do you know if the tax applies to temp residents as we are able to claim LAFH allowance, so is that why you think we can claim it back?

If i was to get it sent by post international signed for, how do the customs find out what it is, do they check all the post?

Please,please come bfore i go ring :(

laura
x

jodesmc Jan 19th 2005 9:25 am

I"ve sent some expensive gifts over to my sister in a care package...filled a small box with food from home, and put other things in with it, and hidden my gift in the middle, and my mum used to send jewellery over to me, although i must say it was never too expensive. Also, a guy I lived with in Ireland used to send cash in an envelope home to his mum, he just sent it by registered post( 1000 dollars at a time) and it always arrived for him.

Sandy.l Jan 19th 2005 9:27 am

cheers sandy, ill look into that.

ABC Diamond,

do you know if the tax applies to temp residents as we are able to claim LAFH allowance, so is that why you think we can claim it back?

If i was to get it sent by post international signed for, how do the customs find out what it is, do they check all the post?

Please,please come bfore i go ring :(

laura
x

You have to fill out a customs declaration form that is stuck on the parcel. You have to declare what is in the parcel and whether it is a gift or merchandise.

lauralollipop Jan 19th 2005 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
You have to fill out a customs declaration form that is stuck on the parcel. You have to declare what is in the parcel and whether it is a gift or merchandise.

so if its a gift do you not pay tax then?

laura
x

jodesmc Jan 19th 2005 10:01 am

No, you don't pay any tax on a gift, so you should be ok, it's only if you receive a few identical ones that the customs would get suspicious.....they scan them

ABCDiamond Jan 19th 2005 10:05 am

so if its a gift do you not pay tax then?

laura
x

I tried that once, got someone to send something to me, and stick a Birthday card in the box with it, but they charged me duty all the same. They did send a form to appeal, but i didn't bother.

They didn't check all parcels at that time, but they have been advertising that they do these days, saying every parcel is X-rayed. Whether they actually do or not ??

As a Temp visa holder, I am not sure if you can claim the GST back or not. I'm not well up on the temp visa rules.

ABCDiamond Jan 19th 2005 10:11 am

Duty on Gifts from Overseas

gifts from overseas

Customs will not collect duty or GST on unsolicited gifts where:

* the consignment value of the included item(s) is $200 or less; or
* in the case of a consignment exceeding that value, on the first $200 of the consignment's value. http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4368

Gift concessions on international Christmas mail

The Minister for Justice and Customs, Senator Chris Ellison, has reminded Australians receiving or giving Christmas gifts that items processed through the international mail system may be subject to the imposition of taxes and import restrictions.

With Christmas mail now beginning to arrive in Australia, awareness of gift concessions will prevent undue annoyance when gifts arrive from overseas.

"Even if gifts are bought from an Australian website or an Australian company, goods may not be delivered from Australia - they might be sent from overseas and therefore may be subject to the imposition of taxes and import restrictions," Senator Ellison said.

Customs is required to collect import duty and GST on gifts coming into the country, but if an unsolicited gift through the mail is valued at $200 or less, it is allowed into Australia free of duty and GST. Anything above that amount attracts government charges, which are calculated on the gift?s value in excess of $200. http://www.ag.gov.au/agd/WWW/justice...Christmas_mail

eintracht Jan 19th 2005 10:19 am

There are hundreds of people on this forum travelling to Australia all the time. Find one you can trust and ask them to bring it over for you. No tax as they can say it is theirs etc.

lauralollipop Jan 19th 2005 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by eintracht
There are hundreds of people on this forum travelling to Australia all the time. Find one you can trust and ask them to bring it over for you. No tax as they can say it is theirs etc.

yes i forgot that, ill ask dolly daydream to bring it for me as she is comming in march, hurray, problem solved!

Thanks for the info ABC it will come in useful for when i want to send stuff, thanks

laura
x

binbird Jan 19th 2005 12:12 pm

yes i forgot that, ill ask dolly daydream to bring it for me as she is comming in march, hurray, problem solved!

Thanks for the info ABC it will come in useful for when i want to send stuff, thanks

laura
x

SOLUTION!!!! :)

Isn't it nice when things work out?!

Enjoy wearing it!

Binbird