Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Rid - in preperation for the move

Getting Rid - in preperation for the move

Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:24 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting Rid - in preperation for the move

Apart from garage sales, charity shops and ebay does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of 'stuff'? Additionally, has anyone used ebay? Is it ok? I have only bought goods - never sold on there. I would prefer to make something of my 'stuff' - be it a pound per item.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting Rid - in preperation for the move

I did a car boot just before Chrimbo and made 90 quid after paying for the pitch and I sold the most amazing amount of rubbish although sold a few designer tops for next to nowt (upset me greatly). Surprisingly I didnt sell my 2 christmas trees!! I am doing one in a few weeks which comprises of wine glasses, keyboards, DVD's, book and clothes, etc!!
As long as there is a profit, no rain and a place to get a bacon butty from then you are laughing.
Otherwise sell it to family, friends and put up notices in local shops/work place/freebie newspapers.
Good luck
Watty'n'Arls
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Just remembered OH uses ebay constantly, its safe and paypal is good for safe passage of payment, otherwise cheques (wait till clears) or postal orders.
We sold some things on ebay that we thought wouldnt sell (old Gap fleeces!!) and couldnt sell other items that we thought would get snapped up!!! Typical.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:34 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Apart from garage sales, charity shops and ebay does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of 'stuff'? Additionally, has anyone used ebay? Is it ok? I have only bought goods - never sold on there. I would prefer to make something of my 'stuff' - be it a pound per item.
Try a work notice board. I got rid of 90% of my stuff with little worry on that. The more expensive stuff went on Ebay. The rest was on the board.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:26 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

We are selling smaller items on Ebay. I also listed all the household furniture stuff on Freeads (online) and I could have sold everthing within 4 hours. The problem is that our house isn't sold yet and we can't be showing people around with nothing in the house! So might have to relist again when house has had an offer on it.

Otherwise, carboots are great for smaller stuff, althoughit depends very much on where the pitch is.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:37 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We started off with a car boot and while we sold nearly everything and it was a great experience but I now realise I could have tripled our earnings on ebay - so I've been selling on ebay - usually getting decent prices. Some things have gone to charity shops but one of the best ways of avoiding a journey to the tip has been freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org) - you post for free things you want to get rid of and people reply if they want it - it has saved me a couple of journeys to the tip already - its amazing what people will collect from you - I've seen people give away bricks, fallen down branches etc. People are really grateful for things and I've had lots of thank-you emails and even a couple of gifts!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

hi, we have sold 30-40 things on ebay,not sure its worth. certain stuff i thought would sell for quite a bit went for next to nothing. add that to packaging going to post office to get rid, lot of hassle. not to mention the £21ebay fees.
with the rest of our gear we are going write a price on everything and if you want it you write your name on it. the rest i will give away.
happy selling
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I have used ebay a lot. Like someone else said, it can be a bit hit and miss with what you expect might/might not sell.

You pay for the listing on ebay, which can be a little as 15p. In addition ebay will take a small percentage of the sale price. Can't remember now what that is. If you accept payment by PayPal, which I would recommend, they will also take a small percentage.

I do agree that it can be a bit of hassle having to go to the post office etc. What I try to do is go once a week. People shouldn't have a problem with that as long as you tell them how long it is likely to be before you send their item.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
I have used ebay a lot. Like someone else said, it can be a bit hit and miss with what you expect might/might not sell.

You pay for the listing on ebay, which can be a little as 15p. In addition ebay will take a small percentage of the sale price. Can't remember now what that is. If you accept payment by PayPal, which I would recommend, they will also take a small percentage.

I do agree that it can be a bit of hassle having to go to the post office etc. What I try to do is go once a week. People shouldn't have a problem with that as long as you tell them how long it is likely to be before you send their item.
absolutely agree with you, i said on all my listings " I work full time so only go to the post office on Saturday morning, if your payment is not recieved by 8pm on Friday (GMT) then it will roll over into next weeks posting"
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Totally recommend e-bay as a way of getting rid of the excess. Sold about 30 items of clothing (suits, jackets, jumpers etc) just after Xmas, made nearly £700! Next I'll be moving on to furniture we won't be taking. Much rather use e-bay than car boot sales.

Andy
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:50 am
off2oz

nursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to all

a friend of mine did a house sale before they emigrated....they just shoved sticky labels on everything with a price.....it was crazy they got rid of everything!!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

You could try having an open house - tell all your friends/neighbours/colleagues to come and buy what they want. You will probably be surprised how many will say 'oooh, can you keep that xyz for me'. We bought quite a few things for our house here from ex-pats doing just that and will be getting rid of some stuff that way when we move to Australia too, so if there's anything local that might attract ex-pats (companies, schools etc) see if you can advertise there somehow.

You could also have a look on www.craigslist.org and see if they exist in your area - it's like an online classified ads site, and best of all it's completely free. I would also go for www.freecycle.org to get rid of anything you can't sell, you really wouldn't believe the things that people will come and pick up from you!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:26 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your feedback - very helpfull
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I've used ebay to sell stuff and also freecycle - had loads of gardening books which won't suit Oz and they went on freecycle and I sold 3 empty calor gas bottles on ebay for £20 the other week.
In final stages of packing next week so I think there will be a fair bit of stuff going on both sites shortly