British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting rid of furniture. What to do with it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-rid-furniture-what-do-152676/)

valleygirl May 14th 2003 9:14 pm

Getting rid of furniture. What to do with it

Hi everyone

Now the headless chicken is beginning to set in. Just a question to you all. If you are not planning to take furniture with you what are you going to do with it. We are selling everything and not sure weather to get a company in to buy everything. But will we be ripped off this is the question??

Anyone who has any advice would be great.

Thanks

Amanda:confused:

JayneTee May 14th 2003 9:21 pm

Re: Getting rid of furniture. What to do with it

Originally posted by valleygirl
Hi everyone

Now the headless chicken is beginning to set in. Just a question to you all. If you are not planning to take furniture with you what are you going to do with it. We are selling everything and not sure weather to get a company in to buy everything. But will we be ripped off this is the question??

Thanks

We're trying to get rid of some stuff at carboot sales, larger & more expensive stuff in the newspaper and whatever's left at the end we'll get in one of those house clearance companys so they can get rid of our rubbish and at least pay us for the priveledge!

Gra.B May 14th 2003 9:26 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks

If you get someone in you'll get virtually bugger-all! (Aunt of mine did it a while back) But at least you get it cleared quickly. Think furniture can be difficult to sell privately, freeads & such, probably coz of lack of photos. Ebay might be worth trying for the nice things (not saying all of it's not nice, but, you know what I mean). We've seen sofas selling well on there before.

Might be worth a look..

Gra...

mashiraz May 14th 2003 9:34 pm

We have an auction house collecting 2 big items on Monday for Wednesday's auction. Not sure what we will get but both antiques. Have to pay £40 collection fee plus commission from the sale, but hassle free............

Mash...

Originally posted by Gra.B
If you get someone in you'll get virtually bugger-all! (Aunt of mine did it a while back) But at least you get it cleared quickly. Think furniture can be difficult to sell privately, freeads & such, probably coz of lack of photos. Ebay might be worth trying for the nice things (not saying all of it's not nice, but, you know what I mean). We've seen sofas selling well on there before.

Might be worth a look..

Gra...

pott May 14th 2003 10:47 pm

Have you a house to sell? The buyers of our house have bought some of our stuff including the car. Hubbies brother has bought abit more. We are taking some and the rest is going to the odd person here and there. Well, you know!

Sounds like we have/had loads but we don't/didn't

You may be suprised the amount of people you know or know someone who wants whatever.

Car boot sales and ads in the local shops seem to do quite well.

Good luck with it all.

Pott:)

karawara88 May 14th 2003 11:30 pm

Try www.loot.com

Better than using the scum company ebay. !! (bad experience with them).

Akaubear May 14th 2003 11:43 pm

Hello!

My advice would be to try & get rid of the large stuff as soon as possible (or at least line up someone to take it away). We only had a weeks notice to move out of our house, and we couldn't find anyone to buy stuff off us. Even the charities we phoned didn't want to know (they needed more notice), so we ended up having to pay a house clearer to take stuff away. It was absolutely heart-breaking.

We did have great success selling the little bits & pieces thru eBay (cos we had longer to sort that out). It's amazing what people buy!

Nicola.

Don May 15th 2003 5:11 am

Originally posted by mashiraz
We have an actoin house collecting 2 big items on Monday for Wednesday's auction. Not sure what we will get but both antiques. Have to pay £40 collection fee plus commission from the sale, but hassle free............

Mash...
Did the same. Pros - quick clearance. Cons - upfront costs, commission and lousy sale prices.

Cheers - Don

Scarlett G May 15th 2003 10:13 am

We managed to sell nearly everything using a bulletin board at work and the press , plus when people came round for one thing I was asking "are you interested in a ....." and usually managed to flog them 2 or 3 things instead of 1 !!
You get ripped off with clearance companies.

renth May 15th 2003 10:36 am

Hi everyone

Thanks

Advertise in the local paper over about 3 weeks. After that, take it all to the tip.

we sold some wardrobes and a double bed but another double bed and the 3 piece suite ended up at the tip.

You should have seen the pikey's face light up at the tip when I arrived with the original stripped victorian doors which no one else seemed to want.

I was just glad to get rid of it.

I should have brought the Flymo with me though.

yafm May 15th 2003 12:05 pm

Try
www.preloved.com

rather than ebay It is completely free.

Just sold a bike to an australian lady (who strangely enough came from bargo in oz - where we are heading)

Also if there is stuff that won't sell or can't be sold (not fire warning labels etc.) there are always missionary mart contacts who take the goods and use them for setting up 'less priviledged' people.(Homeless being rehomed temporarily):p :p :p

icklepickle May 15th 2003 1:19 pm

How about having a house clearance sale, put leaflets through the doors of the people around you and put posters up in town and the local paper. I think you are more likely to move the larger things if you try to sell to local people.

Regards

Davenshell May 15th 2003 4:45 pm

take it to your local auction house,soft furnishings will need fire labels attached,electrical goods will need to be saftey tested normally about £3.00 per item,also include lotting fee and sellers premium normally about 10% plus VAT.You might not get want you want for your stuff, but you might be suprised and there's no waiting around for persons who often do not turn up.
David

kentcoast May 15th 2003 5:30 pm

I know some have had bad experiences with ebay but just to balance out - I've made over a grand now out of stuff from the loft and garage that I was expecting to take to the tip.

It's a bit of work but I've found it well worth it.

Perry

tinaj May 15th 2003 6:20 pm

Definately try www.Loot.com , when I moved from a flat to my house I sold lots of furniture. Lots of landlords use it to kit out their new lets. Make sure you have fire labels etc though.

Best of all it is free to advertise and you can do it all online so it is hassle free.