Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of annoying sales calls

Getting rid of annoying sales calls

Old May 24th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting rid of annoying sales calls

I get sick of sales calls!! Usually I tell people I am not interested and they try and carry on talking and make me listen to what they have to say......I usually end up just hanging up.

Last month I registered with the "do not call" register.....

So today I got a call from a finance company.....

I told him that I was registered with "do not call"

He could not get of the phone fast enough!!!! He apologised and that was it!!! I reckon they are scared of being fined!

So maybe the register does not work, but the threat of it does.

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 24th 2007, 2:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting rid of annoying sales calls

Originally Posted by Rudi

So maybe the register does not work, but the threat of it does.

Love

Rudi
x
The register goes "live" on 1 June I believe. Until then anyone is still allowed to call, after then they can be fined if you are registered. You can still receive calls from companies whom you already have a relationship with (credit card companies selling insurance); charities and government related agencies.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:11 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that by interrupting them in mid sentance and saying we are emigrating in 2 months ends the conversation VERY quickly.

A few do continue the conversation, but its more out of curiosity as to where we are headed.

I might try this one in Oz as well when we get there.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

I've registered, but for now when they call do what I do, say can you just hang on a second, put the receiver on the side and walk off and leave them sitting there, I left one for five minutes last week and they were still there when I went back Then if there still there, just say oh I'm not interested!
Old May 24th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
The register goes "live" on 1 June I believe. Until then anyone is still allowed to call, after then they can be fined if you are registered. You can still receive calls from companies whom you already have a relationship with (credit card companies selling insurance); charities and government related agencies.
The Do not call register is already live.

Go to the web site for more details.

Bob in Bull Creek
Old May 24th 2007, 4:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
The Do not call register is already live.

Go to the web site for more details.

Bob in Bull Creek
By "live" I meant:

"The rules applicable to telemarketers under the Act and the industry standard, are expected to take effect from 31 May 2007. "
Old May 24th 2007, 4:29 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
I have found that by interrupting them in mid sentance and saying we are emigrating in 2 months ends the conversation VERY quickly.

A few do continue the conversation, but its more out of curiosity as to where we are headed.

I might try this one in Oz as well when we get there.
Terminal illness is also a good conversation-stopper.