Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Removal Quote - They Need Aussie Address?

Getting Removal Quote - They Need Aussie Address?

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about
Default Getting Removal Quote - They Need Aussie Address?

I have contacted Britannia Cestrian movers to come and give us a quote for moving from North Wales to Perth. They were recommended by a few on this site, and one of our neighbours.

Just checking this site for any questions I need to ask him. We are not taking any furniture with us, just loads of other stuff, as we are renting our house out fully furnished.

I did ask the chap a few questions on the phone prior to him coming. The main one of concern is that we are booking a flight for March, hopefully staying in a hotel etc for a few days, and trying to find 6 months rental. If this goes to plan, then great.

The new ruling on all shipping companies now is that they need an address for the goods to be delivered, or contact address in the area the goods will be delivered, before your goods leave the UK. We dont know anyone in Perth, although my brother does live in Sydney, but his contact address would be no good as its not in Perth. If we booked a hotel before our departure, then we could the hotel address but it has to be a long term address, as opposed to just a week or so.

Getting a bit confused, as dont want to commit to renting for 6 months before even seeing the house/area. Also dont know what hotel/b&b we will be staying in yet as we were going to do this when we got off the plane.

We wanted to send our stuff off before our flights, as we were intending to pack up the house, let the tenants move in, then spend a few weeks or so with relatives and sorting out any lose ends before we go. Then jump on the plane,and before we know it, our contained will be there. The company told me that the containers can take anything from 8 -14 weeks, so if we sent our stuff as early as possible, then we wouldnt have to wait too long at the other end for its arrival.

But of a dilema - what does everyone else do ?

Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Removal Quote - They Need Aussie Address?

Originally Posted by WacandJill
I have contacted Britannia Cestrian movers to come and give us a quote for moving from North Wales to Perth. They were recommended by a few on this site, and one of our neighbours.

Just checking this site for any questions I need to ask him. We are not taking any furniture with us, just loads of other stuff, as we are renting our house out fully furnished.

I did ask the chap a few questions on the phone prior to him coming. The main one of concern is that we are booking a flight for March, hopefully staying in a hotel etc for a few days, and trying to find 6 months rental. If this goes to plan, then great.

The new ruling on all shipping companies now is that they need an address for the goods to be delivered, or contact address in the area the goods will be delivered, before your goods leave the UK. We dont know anyone in Perth, although my brother does live in Sydney, but his contact address would be no good as its not in Perth. If we booked a hotel before our departure, then we could the hotel address but it has to be a long term address, as opposed to just a week or so.

Getting a bit confused, as dont want to commit to renting for 6 months before even seeing the house/area. Also dont know what hotel/b&b we will be staying in yet as we were going to do this when we got off the plane.

We wanted to send our stuff off before our flights, as we were intending to pack up the house, let the tenants move in, then spend a few weeks or so with relatives and sorting out any lose ends before we go. Then jump on the plane,and before we know it, our contained will be there. The company told me that the containers can take anything from 8 -14 weeks, so if we sent our stuff as early as possible, then we wouldnt have to wait too long at the other end for its arrival.

Cheers
A contact address does not have to be a delivery address. Tell them you are staying at the Holiday Inn (or whatever) for 6 weeks but give them mobile/email details. When you get to Oz and get fixed abode, contact the shippers in Oz and give them updated details. Let's face it, you will get to Oz before your container so they aren't going to need real address details until at least the ship docks. They need a fixed address in order for customs to release the shipment.

If this isn't suffice, find out now who they use at the Aussie end and contact them for more specific info about contact addresses.

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for replying.
Can I just give them any name and address of a hotel, even though we wont be staying there? For example, can I look on the internet, find a hotel, give them that address and say we will be there for say 6 weeks. But in actual fact maybe not even be staying at that hotel? Or is this telling of fibs not acceptable?

Can we give them our british mobile phone numbers, as obvioiusly we wont have an aussie phone until we get there?

I cant imagine them even trying to contact us, and as you say as soon as we have a permanent address, we will pass this on to them immediately, so they have it for when the ship docks.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying.
Can I just give them any name and address of a hotel, even though we wont be staying there? For example, can I look on the internet, find a hotel, give them that address and say we will be there for say 6 weeks. But in actual fact maybe not even be staying at that hotel? Or is this telling of fibs not acceptable?

Can we give them our british mobile phone numbers, as obvioiusly we wont have an aussie phone until we get there?

I cant imagine them even trying to contact us, and as you say as soon as we have a permanent address, we will pass this on to them immediately, so they have it for when the ship docks.
I don't know what is and is not acceptable to your shippers, which is why I would ask Britannia who they are using in Oz and see if you can get anything more helpful from them. What they have asked for sounds unreasonable (or at least unachievable). Just because your ship is docking in Perth does not mean you will have a Perth address. What exactly did they say other people do? Surely they should accept the Sydney address - it's a fixed address and a guranteed way of getting in touch.

My personal experience of Britannia is that they don't know their a*se from their elbow which is why I would try their Oz partner for more info. (Britannia damaged about $7000 worth of my furniture when I moved, due to poor packaging (or complete lack of it) so I don't hold them in high regard!!)
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:41 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
your brothers address will be fine all they need is a contact number incase of any probs
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

I will speak to the chap better when he comes to the house, to get more info.

We intend to get more than the one quote, so may be interesting what the other companies have to say.

Sorry about your furniture. All the stress of moving and then damaged goods, doesnt bear thinking about at the moment.

Regards
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I will speak to the chap better when he comes to the house, to get more info.

We intend to get more than the one quote, so may be interesting what the other companies have to say.

Sorry about your furniture. All the stress of moving and then damaged goods, doesnt bear thinking about at the moment.

Regards
All shipments need an aussie address to clear customs.

SS
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Does everyone think that my brothers address in Sydney will be okay, being as we are going to Perth? Removal company was not sure on that one
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:39 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We gave a Sydney address even though we were going to Brisbane and all the paperwork clearly said Brisbane, we had no problems and the Container was dropped off at a different Brisbane address.