Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting ready to move the work?

Getting ready to move the work?

Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting ready to move the work?

Seems to me that this is a step towards moving even the small amount of serious telecom work that Oz still does overseas. A good direction for Oz to move in?

India and Australia sign MoU to increase telecom ties
New Delhi, Sep 3 (UNI) India and Australia have signed an MoU to enhance their ties in telecommunications related mainly to spectrum management, technical standards and services.

The MoU will encourage cooperation in telecommunications services, exchange of information, sharing of information on spectrum management, technical standards, exchange of knowledge about economic, social, educational and scientific aspects of telecom and exchange of expertise.

Australia has MoUs with Indonesia and Israel setting out agreed areas of cooperation in the development of telecommunications. The Australian governmnet's MoU with India on telecom follows the signing of an MoU on Information Technology in 2000.

The MoU was signed last week with the Indian government represented by External Affairs Minister Yashwant Sinha and Australia's Minister for Communications, IT Senator Richard Alston.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting ready to move the work?

Originally posted by Wilf
Seems to me that this is a step towards moving even the small amount of serious telecom work that Oz still does overseas. A good direction for Oz to move in?

India and Australia sign MoU to increase telecom ties
New Delhi, Sep 3 (UNI) India and Australia have signed an MoU to enhance their ties in telecommunications related mainly to spectrum management, technical standards and services.

The MoU will encourage cooperation in telecommunications services, exchange of information, sharing of information on spectrum management, technical standards, exchange of knowledge about economic, social, educational and scientific aspects of telecom and exchange of expertise.

Australia has MoUs with Indonesia and Israel setting out agreed areas of cooperation in the development of telecommunications. The Australian governmnet's MoU with India on telecom follows the signing of an MoU on Information Technology in 2000.

The MoU was signed last week with the Indian government represented by External Affairs Minister Yashwant Sinha and Australia's Minister for Communications, IT Senator Richard Alston.

So where do you think all the communications technology is going to in the UK?

ans: India

Wilf all communications/IT related work is getting shipped to India, its called Globalisation, companies can now ship the work to the cheapest cost base thanks to the broadband technology.

Yet another post from you Wilf that demonstrates your only here to Oz/Nz bash

Just get you arse back to the UK and smell the coffee, your living in another era in your mind
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Getting ready to move the work?

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
So where do you think all the communications technology is going to in the UK?

ans: India

Wilf all communications/IT related work is getting shipped to India, its called Globalisation, companies can now ship the work to the cheapest cost base thanks to the broadband technology.

Yet another post from you Wilf that demonstrates your only here to Oz/Nz bash

Just get you arse back to the UK and smell the coffee, your living in another era in your mind

You need to stop sniffing the glue, old son, never mind smelling the coffee. That's the trouble with your generation, Daz, always got your head in a solvent tin or trying to get off your bonce on a crack cigarette or some such thing. You will do permanent damage in the end, and then how will you know which plane to get on, let alone cope with life here? Take my tip, son, and keep off the funny baccy and solvents, it's no good in the end.

Someone with your best interests at heart.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:43 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I booked my flights a few weeks ago, and the company uses a uk 0800 number, so the call was free.

Was chatting to the guy, and asked why the line was so crackly, and did he want me to call him back. Turned out that the call centre was located in India! Was quite a surprise.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by PeteY
I booked my flights a few weeks ago, and the company uses a uk 0800 number, so the call was free.

Was chatting to the guy, and asked why the line was so crackly, and did he want me to call him back. Turned out that the call centre was located in India! Was quite a surprise.

Bit of a schlep for you when you go to pick up the tickets eh Pete?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:51 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Bit of a schlep for you when you go to pick up the tickets eh Pete?
hehe. Not heard the word schlep since school! Not looking forward to my 20 hour schlep on a plane though

I don't even get a paper ticket the cheap blighters. Its a new e-ticketing thing or somthing. Did'nt know whether i should trust them at first, so i phoned Singapore airlines to check. Luckily they knew about our booked, so i could breath easy again..
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hehe. Not heard the word schlep since school! Not looking forward to my 20 hour schlep on a plane though

I don't even get a paper ticket the cheap blighters. Its a new e-ticketing thing or somthing. Did'nt know whether i should trust them at first, so i phoned Singapore airlines to check. Luckily they knew about our booked, so i could breath easy again..

You go to school in London, Pete? We used to use a lot of the yiddish words in London.

I have heard about this new system. So you do not get an actual ticket and you just are on their computer, is that right? You just turn up with the passport and they see you are there and you get the boarding pass or not even a boarding pass?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:12 pm
A Male Member

You go to school in London, Pete? We used to use a lot of the yiddish words in London.

I have heard about this new system. So you do not get an actual ticket and you just are on their computer, is that right? You just turn up with the passport and they see you are there and you get the boarding pass or not even a boarding pass?
Went to school in Orpington, which is north east kent/greater london border.

With the new system you just turn up and present your passport, and the card you bought the ticked on. I believe they will give you a boarding pass at the desk....

Cheers

Pete.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Went to school in Orpington, which is north east kent/greater london border.

With the new system you just turn up and present your passport, and the card you bought the ticked on. I believe they will give you a boarding pass at the desk....

Cheers

Pete.

Right, thanks. I have not flown under this system yet, you see, so I was wondering about it. I generally like to get something physical back when I part with my money (if you see what I mean - I could see how that could be misconstrued) so it seemed a bit odd to me.

Wilf
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:29 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, thanks. I have not flown under this system yet, you see, so I was wondering about it. I generally like to get something physical back when I part with my money (if you see what I mean - I could see how that could be misconstrued) so it seemed a bit odd to me.

Wilf

E-tickets are actually really good. One less thing to worry about when flying I find. Just make sure you take the credit card you booked your flight on with you. If you book over t'internet then you can always print off their confirmation so you can still have something physical. It doesn't necessarily save any time when you check in - long haul anyways. I'm not sure about short flights within (say) the UK - they have funky machines for e-tickets for BA flights within the UK. I don't know quite how those work.

I always remember as a child my parents flipping out before a flight "have you got the passports? tickets? kids? keys? suitcases?" at least with an e-ticket they wouldn't have had to worry about those blasted tickets (which always came before us!!)

V
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Vee
E-tickets are actually really good. One less thing to worry about when flying I find. Just make sure you take the credit card you booked your flight on with you. If you book over t'internet then you can always print off their confirmation so you can still have something physical. It doesn't necessarily save any time when you check in - long haul anyways. I'm not sure about short flights within (say) the UK - they have funky machines for e-tickets for BA flights within the UK. I don't know quite how those work.

I always remember as a child my parents flipping out before a flight "have you got the passports? tickets? kids? keys? suitcases?" at least with an e-ticket they wouldn't have had to worry about those blasted tickets (which always came before us!!)

V

How does it work if you buy your "ticket" at the travel agent with cash or EFTPOS (debit card)? If there is going to be no paper ticket, but you did not use a credit card, I mean. Do you need then your passport and the receipt that you got from the travel agent or just the passport?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:36 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out that the call centre was located in India! Was quite a surprise.
alot of the call centres there actually include things like what the most common UK football teams are/what the current weather is in uk etc in their training so that the operators can chat seemlessly to the client without giving away that they are offshore.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:48 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out that the call centre was located in India! Was quite a surprise.
alot of the call centres there actually include things like what the most common UK football teams are/what the current weather is in uk etc in their training so that the operators can chat seemlessly to the client without giving away that they are offshore.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:12 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

How does it work if you buy your "ticket" at the travel agent with cash or EFTPOS (debit card)? If there is going to be no paper ticket, but you did not use a credit card, I mean. Do you need then your passport and the receipt that you got from the travel agent or just the passport?

erm....don't know. Haven't been to the Travel Agents for years! I always buy my flights off the net. Last time I went to the travel agent was in Australia in 2001 and we got a paper ticket then.

Sorry can't help on this one.

V