British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting Police Clearance in Scotland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-police-clearance-scotland-107453/)

iancurtis Apr 7th 2002 7:58 pm

Getting Police Clearance in Scotland

Hi,

Has anyone else applied for Police Clearance in Scotland (Strathclyde Police area to be precise) ? I've been given form 1:9:2 to fill in but it has categories A-T of different info you can request ! Which ones are needed for immigration ? Also, there is a section about the Police National Computer, I've never lived outside Scotland so I presume I don't need to get any info from this ?

Any help would be invaluable.

Thanks.

macmonkeyman Apr 8th 2002 4:50 am

Re: Getting Police Clearance in Scotland

Hi,

I've had the curious pleasure of having to obtain three Scottish police checks (and two Australian ones) for DIMA.

On my last one, I definitely only paid ten pounds for one check (which I think was choice A) on the Scottish records. I ignored the rest of the forms, and it all came back in an acceptable form.

I do have one killer tip for you that will save you a month's hassle:

The Scottish police clearance is incompatible with DIMA?s purposes, in that it isn?t a document saying that ?Mr X doesn?t have a criminal record?. Rather it is a letter to the effect of ?if there?s nothing else in this envelope then you don?t have a criminal record?. Suffice it to say, sending these letters to DIMA has been known to induce the odd stroke. The key is to send DIMA the envelope from Glasgow UNOPENED. [Of course, you don?t normally know this until you?ve opened it?.]

Cheers,

Grant

blower Apr 8th 2002 12:19 pm

How do you know that it is from the relevant police force when you receive the envelope in the post and that it is your police clearence and noy just a letter asking for more info?
If you send off original documents how do you get them out of the envelope if you are not allowed to open it?
Can you remember which documents youi had to send off?

Many Thanks

Steve

macmonkeyman Apr 9th 2002 2:54 am

Good point.

The first time I did it I made the mistake of opening the envelope, so I got back my UK driver's licence that way.

The SCRO are fine with you sending off photocopies, or printed off scans of your passport. I didn't need to get the copy certified.

As for asking for more information, you'll have to cross your fingers. DIMA will tell you, I suppose. The important thing is to include the envelope with the application or whatever, and that will be sufficent to get the ball rolling. After that there will be plenty of time to sort out the details and get any additional info.

Cheers

Grant

Mark Higgins Apr 9th 2002 11:50 am

we got our police clearance done in Edinburgh and were told to open the letter to
check that everything is ok "as mistakes are made" and then return it so that it can
be resealed and then send the unopened letter to DIMA "iancurtis"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone else applied for Police Clearance in Scotland (Strathclyde Police area
    > to be precise) ? I've been given form 1:9:2 to fill in but it has categories A-T of
    > different info you can request ! Which ones are needed for immigration ? Also,
    > there is a section about the Police National Computer, I've never lived outside
    > Scotland so I presume I don't need to get any info from this ?
    >
    > Any help would be invaluable.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

blower Apr 9th 2002 12:16 pm

How long did it take for you to get the letter resealed did it double the time needed for the police check?