Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a photo album sent over to Aus - import tax?

Getting a photo album sent over to Aus - import tax?

Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Scimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really nice
Default Getting a photo album sent over to Aus - import tax?

We recently went back to the UK and had a family photo shoot with a professional photographer. She is putting together a custom album for us and posting it over. I have a feeling we will have to pay a huge amount of import tax on this. What issues might there be with customs, and are there any ways to make the process smoother?

Presumably we have to provide a clear description of the contents of the package and evidence of how much we paid her for it?

I'm not asking about avoiding tax, I just don't want to have the album delivery delayed because customs are quibbling about how much we paid for it, or how much they value it as. We've already had problems with my sister posting a Lego toy to us, because she undervalued it on the customs declaration (not based on my recommendation, I have to say).

If anyone has experience in this area I would appreciate their honest advice.

Thank you
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a photo album sent over to Aus - import tax?

You'll be fine. There's nothing to pay on most personal imports under $1000 (apart from booze, fags etc).
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:26 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scimum
Presumably we have to provide a clear description of the contents of the package and evidence of how much we paid her for it?
You paid for the photographic services, not the album (which is the bit they are interested in). Should be no problem in valuing it well under $1000 - frankly there are more likely to be questions if it were valued too high.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Can't you send it to someone in the UK, then get them to forward it. Then for all customs know it is one you have had a couple of years but left there?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Scimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really niceScimum is just really nice

Update is that it arrived with no problem at all. The photographer valued it at under $1000 and sent it guaranteed delivery and I am very happy with it!