Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a Passport was really easy.

Getting a Passport was really easy.

Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Passport was really easy.

After reading some of the stories on here I was dreading the application for Aussie passports for the 6 members of my family. Anyway it turned out to be really easy.

We followed the instructions for photos: took them with a digital camera, resized them on the computer and printed them on our deskjet (600dpi) on photo quality paper. None of the photos were rejected.

We knew in advance that the post office would only do 3 people at a time but they arranged both interviews on the same day. I did one and the wife did the other. The kids did not have to attend.

For the 5 of us who were UK born I had put the wrong number down from our citizenship certificates. We should have used the number on the back not the front. The lady in the post office just used tipex and wrote in the proper number. She said that it was a common mistake.

For the Australian born child I had to go back a couple of days later as they needed a copy of my PR Visa and photo page from my UK passport. This was because the baby was born before my citizenship.

Then about a week and half later all 6 passports turned up.

Easy as....something that's easy.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 31st 2007 at 5:42 am.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Passport was really easy.

How's the bank balance
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
How's the bank balance
800 bucks lighter

I'd hate to think how much extra it would be to get the UK ones as well
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
For the Australian born child I had to go back a couple of days later as they needed a copy of my PR Visa and photo page from my UK passport. This was because the baby was born before my citizenship.
That could be a real hassle for your child 20 or so years down the line.

Why not fix the problem now and get the child a citizenship certificate (use form 119).
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
That could be a real hassle for your child 20 or so years down the line.

Why not fix the problem now and get the child a citizenship certificate (use form 119).
Why do I need one of them if she's got a passport?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why do I need one of them if she's got a passport?
Once again. A passport is not conclusive proof of citizenship (passports can be issued to non-Australian citizens by mistake).

When your daughter applies for her first adult passport, and at any time in future if her passport is lost/stolen, she will likely need to prove her citizenship from scratch.

In 20-30 years time, this may be a real problem (proving your PR status at the time). At least a long delay. Remember - her birth certificate proves nothing about her citizenship.

Getting a citizenship certificate does two things. Firstly, it gives her an independent, conclusive proof of citizenship that means her passport can always be renewed quickly.

Secondly, it creates a permanent record of her citizenship on DIAC systems and the certificate can always be replaced if lost. Her passport application does not do this because passports are issued by DFAT.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 1st 2007 at 2:17 am.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. A passport is not conclusive proof of citizenship (passports can be issued to non-Australian citizens by mistake).

When your daughter applies for her first adult passport, and at any time in future if her passport is lost/stolen, she will likely need to prove her citizenship from scratch.

In 20-30 years time, this may be a real problem (proving your PR status at the time). At least a long delay. Remember - her birth certificate proves nothing about her citizenship.

Getting a citizenship certificate does two things. Firstly, it gives her an independent, conclusive proof of citizenship that means her passport can always be renewed quickly.

Secondly, it creates a permanent record of her citizenship on DIAC systems and the certificate can always be replaced if lost. Her passport application does not do this because passports are issued by DFAT.

A$55 is a small price to pay to avoid the risk of hassle for her later on. But hey, it's your daughter, your choice.
Thanks for the info. I'll have a think about it.

I'm not sure if you realise it but the last line comes across as a bit condescending? I'm sure you didn't mean it.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:17 am
JAJ
Retired

I'm not sure if you realise it but the last line comes across as a bit condescending? I'm sure you didn't mean it.
I didn't. My apologies. (now edited out).
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
I didn't. My apologies. (now edited out).
Thank you.