Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting our dog ready to go

getting our dog ready to go

Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all
Default getting our dog ready to go

Could somebody please explain the precedure on taking our dog to Australia. What injections does he need and when, what paperwork do we need to get and when.

We are hoping to be across next year(March) all being the visa is here by then, and don't want to come up against any hidden surprises, so if we could make a start now all the better.
Thanks Gill
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting our dog ready to go

If you use the search box on the forum then there are loads of posts talking about exactly this. Good luck
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

One thing to mention, which you might of already read by now. Make sure he does'nt have leptospirosis (I think that what it's called) in his yearly vaccinations. C/o in Aus they screen for it.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

porsche 911 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i used air pets, they were great and very helpful
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:33 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this is what we've learned so far...but only from the UK and I notice that you are in Germany, so the rules may be different when thinking about quarantine, and export health certificates. The only thing you need to avoid is the leptospirosis jabe within 6 months of blood tests

1. make sure dog is microchipped
2. apply for import permit, ($330) from AQIS. Then if you're planning on Melbourne or Perth, book your dog a place in Quarantine, as places are limited in these areas and are often full weeks or even months ahead. Book your dogs transport with a reputable agent (there are loads just google them) You cannot book the shipping yourself nobody will accept bookings by individuals.... we tried!
3. tell your vet that you are planning on taking your dog to Australia.
4. Apply for export health certificate from DEFRA
5. Get bloods done as specified on the Certificate and ensure jabs are up to date for quarantine. This has to be done within 30 days of travel.

I haven't got any further myself, but hope that this helps you.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

And then panick when your dog fails the lepto test and needs to have it redone, on CHRISTMAS EVE, and then the special delivery blood sample doesn't turn up until a day after the 'guarented' delivery date.
And then you have to put your dogs flight back by two days the day before due to your stupid house buyer.

All good fun.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Thanks for the replys. We have only just had our dog's yearly jab(4 weeks ago), so I am presuming he has had the LEPTO which I knew nothing about, I should have asked this question last month.

I just hope that when we go next year it will have been enough time for it to have left his system.

Thanks again Gill
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Our dog hadn't had the lepto jab and still tested positive, apparently they can get it from puddles very easily. We had to keep her indoors for a week before retesting, and as long as the amount it shows in the blood has not gone up they are fine. Just a huge pain.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:56 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'll have to have the lepto done twice if you're thinking of going in the next couple of months, just to prove that the levels aren't rising!

The other thing I'd like to mention, is, that if you're concerned, you should 'beef up your worm and Tick prevention to include paralysis ticks and heartworm... both of which are endemic in Australia and we just don't have in the UK (tooo cold!)
We've done both of these as the thread where someone's poor dog escaped and got a tick and died scared the life out of me!

I've been to DEFRA today, they were really lovely and helped out with the forms.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The paralysis tick is NOT over the whole of Australia (isn't here in Adelaide) so you won't necesseraly need that. My shipper and vet also told me not to bother with the heartworm tablets until they get out of quarentine. Infact I do believe Melbourne quarantine also said in their bumff not to worry until you pick them up aswell.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

have a look at this link:

http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:53 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I have just decided to take my dog as well and had lepto booster on 10/6. Do i have to wait 6 months and then blood test or can I do it now and retest. Was hoping to go in November.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I think you have to have a few blood tests to prove lepto levels are not rising.

For reassurance try phoning pet air uk there is a vet who runs the company and he has been really helpful, I'm sure they will give you the correct advice. I asked the smae question but my labrador had her vacs in Dec.I have been a bit paronoid and I think they are used to fretting dog/cat owners.

Hope this helps