Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a NZ job offer

Getting a NZ job offer

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:00 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting a NZ job offer

I know that some of you have done it, so what's the secret?

I'm in computing (more science than IT) and am finding it difficult to get a job offer before moving out.

I have a PR app in progress under the family category - my better half is one of them small furry things. Having already made a trip down-under this year, for emergency family reasons, I'm strapped for cash to squander on more round the world trips.

I was hoping to secure a job offer and then up-sticks. We have two kiddies so security and roof-over-head are quite important.
My planning went something like this.

-------

Get job offer.

:scared: Immediately quit current job and put house on market.

Work notice period.

Fly out, leaving small furry creature to sell house.

Meanwhile I'm earning in new job and can sort out the other-side stuff - schools, houses, banking, car etc.

The whole fam damily fly out and I pick them up from the airport in snazzy new motor!

--------

All the job agencies want to know when I'm planning to travel so they can arrange interviews etc. The thing is I'm not prepared to make 3 NZ trips this year (the earlier one, one for interviews and one to move out) with no guarantee that the interview trip will yield anything.

So - who out there managed to get a job sorted out without having to go to NZ? What's the secret?

Cheers,
Chris.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t know what the job market is like in NZ, but if it anything like it is here in Sydney, then I think you will be very very very lucky to be offered a job before a) you have your PR granted and b) you are available for interview and immediate start. Unless you have a particularly sought after skill set which is hard to come by in NZ, off course, but none spring to mind. Perhaps SAP or Peoplesoft. Maybe JD Edwards.

The employers here really have their pick of the litter at the moment and it is not unusual for there to hundreds of applicants for a single position. You really have to do everything you can to get to the top of their list. You are starting off at a disadvantage by not being local, not having any local work experience and not being available immediately.

You can also expect to be interviewed several times for any position, and the likelihood is that these will be weeks apart. Almost impossible to do if you are not living in NZ.

I think you will find that very few people had positions secured before they arrived, other than those that went via the employer sponsored route.

Good luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I was very lucky as a good friend of mine got me the position in the company so initally I came out on a 6 month trial contract - got on well was offered a permanent position and am now going through the motions for residency.

Dont know anyone else who has secured a job without being in the country first??? - sorry

Maybe you could try doing the trial approach? Contract? Might not mean instant stability for you but maybe a way to get a foot in the door.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a NZ job offer

Hi Chris,

I got a job offer around 5 months ago in NZ without having to travel to NZ. I got a little lucky, my wife spoke to someone in the pub who knew someone over in NZ. She happily passed on my details to the contact who took the time to reply and pass on my CV etc. One of the companies that I passed on my details to was recruiting, they gave me a phone interview and gave me a job.
I was lucky in that the experience that I have was in demand in that company at that time. I am an analytical chemist working in R&D pharmaceuticals by the way. The only advice that I can think of is to exhaust all possible links that you have with people in NZ, they do seem to rely on word of mouth and personal recomendations here alot more. I never met the guy who put me in contact with my current employer, but he did spend some time offering me very useful tips and information. So if you know anyone who has any links with NZ give them a call and pester them. Investigate your area of expertise in NZ and try to tailor your CV to areas of deficiency that NZ have, emphasising any experience in the UK that you have, as this is very well thought of.
I hope that this does give you some encouragement, it can be and has been done.