British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting a nursing job in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-nursing-job-brisbane-260636/)

Jane Cross Oct 17th 2004 3:03 pm

Getting a nursing job in Brisbane

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting a nursing job in Brisbane, Qld. I'm moving to Aus next year and can't decide if I should go through an agency or try to sort it out myself. Also, I'm having trouble finding a justice of the peace in London to sign my forms etc. Can anyone tell me if a doctor is suitable?

The visa costs $1825 AUD and I'd also like to know if anyone has managed to get the hospitals in Australia to pay this (skilled sponsorship visa). Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Cheers, Jane.

JAJ Oct 17th 2004 3:14 pm

Re: Getting a nursing job in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Jane Cross
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting a nursing job in Brisbane, Qld. I'm moving to Aus next year and can't decide if I should go through an agency or try to sort it out myself. Also, I'm having trouble finding a justice of the peace in London to sign my forms etc. Can anyone tell me if a doctor is suitable?

The visa costs $1825 AUD and I'd also like to know if anyone has managed to get the hospitals in Australia to pay this (skilled sponsorship visa). Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Cheers, Jane.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a *permanent* visa. There are plenty of horror stories of those who go on a temporary visa and end up in a mess (eg the member 'glittababe' has posted an interesting story recently).

Concerning employer sponsorship for a *permanent* visa:
- you may find that hospitals in the metropolitan are aren't desperate enough to do this
- regional hospitals probably will but you would likely get the RSMS visa which ties you to your employer for two years (although it's a permanent visa, DIMIA can cancel it if you resign in that period).

As long as you're eligible for general skilled migration, I'd suggest that way is going to be simplest. It gives you a visa where you're free to work anywhere you like in Australia.

The visa cost itself is small in the overall scheme of things. Get your visa first, and then try to persuade an employer to pay for relocation costs.

As for signing documents:

- ask around your circle of friends, JPs are quite common; or
- ring around the solicitors locally to find one who will certify documents for a reasonable price. Avoid those who charge a fortune per sheet, it ought to be possible to get a whole sheaf certified for GBP10 or so.

Others may come up with other options to certify documents. However, the only safe option is a solicitor or JP - anything else runs the risk of being refused by DIMIA. For ANCI, check their specific rules, but again a solicitor or JP is almost universally acceptable.

Jeremy

tiredwithtwins Oct 17th 2004 3:21 pm

Hi,

Cheers, Jane.

hi jane,
i presume you have already got your visa?
if so, i dont think any employers would pay for it unless you are so skilled they are willing to pay relocation costs just to have you!!
Regarding getting a job, try sending your cv out to the hospitals in areas you are interested in, there are many who will offer you interviews for when you finally land. I think the general consensus of opinion is to avoid agencies if at all possible!! have a search of previous posts using the search facility in the top right hand corner...there are tons of info posts on nurses experiences of using agencies!! I for one was going to go with Geneva, but didnt get further than the application forms (because of other reasons..irrelevant here) - the agencies are helpful to start with and give you lots of backup, but be wary!!
you may also get more response if you post this on the nurses forum part of British Expats.
good luck jane, and let us know how you get on....

sue :D

tiredwithtwins Oct 17th 2004 3:28 pm

hi jane
have you had a look at this site
www.ncah.com
for jubs....its an aussie wide site that you can sign up to and get fortnightly jobs sent to you. they have agency, and hospitals themselves advertising their posts.

sue :D :D :D

glittababe Oct 18th 2004 8:21 am

Hi,

Cheers, Jane.

Hi Jane, as JAJ has said we have REALLY gone through the mill! We're in Brisbane now, but will have to return to UK before xmas and apply for permanent residency. Firstly do not go through an agency, the one I went through was Oxley Nursing Services aka Oxley Health, and they completely messed up. Never trust what they say, they are recruiters at the end of the day and will say and do anything to get you over here. You will end up paying all the costs (medicals, application visa fee etc), never assume they will pay it, even if they are sponsoring you. Go for skilled independant migration, as a nurse your application will get priority. Your certificates can be certified by a solicitor. Ours did all my nursing ones, plus the birth and marriage certs, passports etc for £45. After you've got your certified photocopies of your training certs and registration you can apply to the ANC for a skills assessment or apply directly to the state you want to live in then apply for a modified skills assessment with the ANC (cheaper that way). Once thats through, and you've all had your medicals (for a family of 5 roughly £450), and police checks (£10 each adult from your local force), you can put in your application with fee (£770 at the moment). Although it sounds a lot, trust me it's cheaper than what we've done!

While I've been here I've called the local hospitals, given them my CV and the response has been great. All are willing to wait until I have permanent residency. Just having PR puts you in a stronger position, plus you don't have to pay for your children's education, you receive medicare and child benefits. Work with an agency is also limited, they tell you there are 'stacks' of jobs available but when you get here there are very few. I asked a hospital about this and she said they will firsly always try and use their own staff and 'pool' to fill the vacancies as agency nurses are too expensive plus their student nurses graduate around the end of the year and they have to provide places for them!

If you need any more info just email me, will be happy to help, best wishes Annie