Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a new British passport - Question

Getting a new British passport - Question

Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a new British passport - Question

Anyone know how long it might take to get my sons new British passport. We are in Oz and applied for one approx one month ago.

Is there any way to find out how close it is?

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a new British passport - Question

I assume you applied for it in Australia ? What I mean is did you send the application to the UK or in Australia ? I think you can actually trace the progress of the application just not sure of the place to do it. Maybe Google will throw something up.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i applied for it from within Australia, not sure where it went as you have to do it via the post office and they deal with sending it away.

I thought it was going to Wellington NZ for processing but appaprently they sometimes go back to blighty
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I did hear that they no longer actually deal with them hear and as you say they now go to NZ. I donthink it is possible to track the progress but you might need the number that should have been given to you at the post office.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

i have a receipt from the post office but no idea how to trace it, and the website is terrible. It also mentions phone numbers but says they cannot answer questions relating to passport progress enquiries.

Whether there is a department that can, it doesn't say
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:13 am
Banned

Try here to track it if you have the barcode from the original application.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_181663
It is temporarily offline from where I am. Of course this may only be for an application from within the UK which is what I have just done.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks but its a bit too late to be asking for the barcode number off the original application form

Its in postman land somewhere.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jazzys
Thanks but its a bit too late to be asking for the barcode number off the original application form

Its in postman land somewhere.
Ah, you forgot to take a note of it
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

haha, how foolish of me eh!

I just rang the passport office in the UK and they didn't have a clue.
They suggested i contact the australian post office for advice as thats where i had to lodge my application
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jazzys
haha, how foolish of me eh!

I just rang the passport office in the UK and they didn't have a clue.
They suggested i contact the australian post office for advice as thats where i had to lodge my application
Yes as the application originated in Australia I would certainly start there.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard they were still processing them in NZ but would be moving it all to the UK. I don't think they've done that yet. There's this thread stuck at the top of the Aus board. They may have current processing times, don't know for sure, I've not looked in there recently.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

it's in the bermuda triangle
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi I did mine earlier this year. Took about 1 month from time I lodged it with Australia post to come back to me..... so hopefully its on its way back.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What does the website say for turnaround time? I'd be guessing they say 6 - 8 weeks but that would just be a guess based on times that I have needed to use the service.

Edited to say, this is what their website says
We aim to process the new passport within four weeks from the date the fee is taken and the application contains all of the information we need. Failure to provide all of the required documentation will result in your application being delayed or returned. If it is a first time application, or you are replacing a lost or stolen passport, you should allow at least six weeks. You should not book travel until you have received your new passport. We cannot accept responsibility for any costs incurred if travel is booked and subsequently cancelled before you have received your passport

So check your credit card statement to see when the fee was taken out

Last edited by quoll; Oct 9th 2012 at 5:20 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

based on mine which I renewed a couple of months ago, if you put it into the PO about a month ago you should get it in the mail very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.