Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting my daughter into further education in oz

Getting my daughter into further education in oz

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting my daughter into further education in oz

Hi guys, just making a few tentative enquiries here.
My daughter has just left school in the uk and wants to go to college to study sports pshychology or physiotheray.
How could she do that in oz, she is 16.
Would she go to college, would she qualify for college etc

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my daughter into further education in oz

I think she would have to go to uni for those qualifications, don't think college (TAFE) would offer them.

Here's some entry criteria for UQ for international students (not sure what her visa status would be but they would assess her UK qualifications and give her a mark that correlates to the AUS uni entry mark):

http://www.uq.edu.au/international/i...tml?page=17502
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Rabsody, she would be a permanent resident as she has a visa and validated it last year.

does going to uni cost anything different to what it would in the UK?

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If she's only 16 she may not meet the criteria. It could be worth her doing a course like this one which could then lead on to doing the full Uni course later. Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't really know

That's great news that she might be considering moving out though Jazz.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If she's only 16 she may not meet the criteria. It could be worth her doing a course like this one which could then lead on to doing the full Uni course later. Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't really know

That's great news that she might be considering moving out though Jazz.

Thanks moneypen, she's 16 now but she'll be 17 at xmas and i can't see her coming before then. Although she is coming again at xmas for 6 weeks.
She is a gymnastics coach and i have arranged for her to visit a few gyms and meet the coaches and gymnasts. Maybe, just maybe, she will see that she can have more opportunities here than in the UK.

Thanks for the link, at what age does someone qualify for a uni course?

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
thanks Rabsody, she would be a permanent resident as she has a visa and validated it last year.

does going to uni cost anything different to what it would in the UK?

Jazzys
Hi Jazzys

It costs on average about $600 per subject and a full time student would take four subjects per semester, two semesters a year. So 8 subjects a year = about $5k per year and then books on top which can be very expensive, sometimes up to $150 per subject.

If you pay up front you get a 20% discount on fees. Or you can use HECS by which you pay your education debt back once you are earning above a certain income.

Usually medical or legal degrees are more expensive.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks moneypen, she's 16 now but she'll be 17 at xmas and i can't see her coming before then. Although she is coming again at xmas for 6 weeks.
She is a gymnastics coach and i have arranged for her to visit a few gyms and meet the coaches and gymnasts. Maybe, just maybe, she will see that she can have more opportunities here than in the UK.

Thanks for the link, at what age does someone qualify for a uni course?

Jazzys
I think that should be ok as kids here start at uni at 17.

Also worth noting uni starts in February 2009 for new undergrads, however enrolment usually closes a month or two before hand. Your daughter would have to apply through QTAC http://www.qtac.edu.au/ as they are the central admissions board if you like through which applications for all unis and TAFEs are submitted.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks rabsody, we'll see what the criteria etc is and then we'll go from there.

I don't care about the money side of it, i ain't got any but i'm sure it could be found one way or another. Just need to get all the details together and sell the idea to her.

Many thanks

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Here you go, here's the page concerning applicants who take their equivalent of Year 12 overseas:

http://www.qtac.edu.au/Applying-NonY...roduction.html

This tells you what she will need to do to apply.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks rabsody, we'll see what the criteria etc is and then we'll go from there.

I don't care about the money side of it, i ain't got any but i'm sure it could be found one way or another. Just need to get all the details together and sell the idea to her.

Many thanks

Jazzys
She can use HECs then and you can usually get the books cheaper online or in the second hand bookshops. That way you won't have to pay out too much. Plus even as a full time student she can get herself a part time job. Contact time on campus for full time students is usually only about 12 hours or so per week.

Good luck with it, hope you can sell her on teh idea
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rabsody
Here you go, here's the page concerning applicants who take their equivalent of Year 12 overseas:

http://www.qtac.edu.au/Applying-NonY...roduction.html

This tells you what she will need to do to apply.
Top bird, hey how come you know so much anyway?
Pretty AND clever, you got it all girl, lol

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Top bird, hey how come you know so much anyway?
Pretty AND clever, you got it all girl, lol

Jazzys
Aw shucks, thanks

I know because I had to go through the whole process as a mature age student. I've been studying at UQ for 18 months now.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Aw shucks, thanks

I know because I had to go through the whole process as a mature age student. I've been studying at UQ for 18 months now.
Mature, behave yourself. You can't be more than 22 looking at your picture.

Jazzys
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Mature, behave yourself. You can't be more than 22 looking at your picture.

Jazzys
Haha, thanks for the compliment but I'm 35. That picture must be deceptive LOL!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Haha, thanks for the compliment but I'm 35. That picture must be deceptive LOL!
35 my arse, as jim royle would have said. You need to get out in the sunshine a bit more young lady, get yourself a few wrinkles, haha

Jazzys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.