Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GETTING A MORTGAGE

GETTING A MORTGAGE

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default GETTING A MORTGAGE

I have been told or seen in various places that you need 20% for a deposit on a house. I was hoping to get a mortgage with 10-15% when i get to oz is this possible. Also i will be taking all my accounts with me over the last couple of years will this help us get a mortgage any quicker. Its just i dont want to wait 12 months when i get there for a mortgage, ive been renting for 2 years and dont really want to rent when we get to perth for too long.
thanks
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:12 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: GETTING A MORTGAGE

The ideal is 20% this is what the banks like to see but a friend at work has just got a 100% loan so they must be available. She has loaned 400K though so the repayments must be pretty huge unless you get a 40year loan!

Jenny
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Try this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427054
Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Thanks for that i will give them a go!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
I have been told or seen in various places that you need 20% for a deposit on a house. I was hoping to get a mortgage with 10-15% when i get to oz is this possible. Also i will be taking all my accounts with me over the last couple of years will this help us get a mortgage any quicker. Its just i dont want to wait 12 months when i get there for a mortgage, ive been renting for 2 years and dont really want to rent when we get to perth for too long.
thanks

You don't have to have 20% deposit, the only thing having less than 20% means is that you will have to pay for mortgage insurance. The insurance protects the bank should you default on the loan and they can't get their money back when selling, it doesn't protect you if you sell and can't get your money back though.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

How would this affect a mortgage payment wise? Does it bump up the mortgage a lot?
cheers
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

How would this affect a mortgage payment wise? Does it bump up the mortgage a lot?
cheers

We borrowed 95% on a 237k house, so $225k mortgage. The insurance that paid on that was $600 (ish), so it's not a massive amount and doesn't affect your payments that much. It is added to the amount you borrow. Our interest is about 7.14 per annum (or thereabouts)
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

i`m not sure but i think you will have to work for atleast 3 mths before being accepted for a mortgage,they werent really interested in any previous history.

thanks
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by keithandsam
i`m not sure but i think you will have to work for atleast 3 mths before being accepted for a mortgage,they werent really interested in any previous history.

Yep, generally they want to see that you aren't on probation. But I do know some people that have been able to get mortgages within weeks of arriving, with just a job offer.

Best thing to do is get a mortgage broker
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, generally they want to see that you aren't on probation. But I do know some people that have been able to get mortgages within weeks of arriving, with just a job offer.

Best thing to do is get a mortgage broker
I'd been in Aus 3 weeks, I'd been talking to Tracy prior to moving so she had everything lined up even the deposit bond once I'd found the right house.
The whole process was a lot less stressful than I'd expected.