Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting money back off shippers query

Getting money back off shippers query

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:45 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Getting money back off shippers query

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this.....

We accepted a quote for our shipping on the basis that we needed 280 cubic metres of space.

This was estimated by the shipping company from a list of items we sent them.

All duly packed and now sitting in a warehouse.

But looking at the stats of our shipment - the ACTUAL volume of our worldly goods is less than half of what was estimated.

The money has been paid - any chance of getting a revised costing on the basis that the difference is so huge and so a refund?

The company was Crown Relocations BTW.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting money back off shippers query

Originally posted by Pollster
Just wondered if anyone else had come across this.....

We accepted a quote for our shipping on the basis that we needed 280 cubic metres of space.

This was estimated by the shipping company from a list of items we sent them.

All duly packed and now sitting in a warehouse.

But looking at the stats of our shipment - the ACTUAL volume of our worldly goods is less than half of what was estimated.

The money has been paid - any chance of getting a revised costing on the basis that the difference is so huge and so a refund?

The company was Crown Relocations BTW.
280 cu mtrs :scared: thats a hell of alot of furniture......sure you dont mean 28 cum3?.................... MM
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:16 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by mr mover
280 cu mtrs :scared: thats a hell of alot of furniture......sure you dont mean 28 cum3?.................... MM

280 cubic FEET!!!! (sorry)

And the actual was 125 cubic FEET

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:23 pm
WBB

sounds like you should have a case, but i would not hold your breath.

Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:46 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Were did you read the difference? or did a crew member tell you?.... MM
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:07 am
Kiwified member

Were did you read the difference? or did a crew member tell you?.... MM

It was up on the 'stats about your shipment' part of the Crown Relocations website.

Whaddya reckon, Mr Mover?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:27 am
Banned

It was up on the 'stats about your shipment' part of the Crown Relocations website.

Whaddya reckon, Mr Mover?
Do you mean on the track and trace part of the web site ,?,,,,,,mm
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should get it back - 280 was only an estimate and not a fixed price. Have you got the docs to prove it? If so, there's no reason for it to be a problem to get money back.

Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:48 am
Banned

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Yes, you should get it back - 280 was only an estimate and not a fixed price. Have you got the docs to prove it? If so, there's no reason for it to be a problem to get money back.

Good luck
If, you sign a contractual agreement for , 280 cu ft, then that is what you agree to move ,it is up to you to prove you , had less to move ,and the shipper did not inform you of this, that is why we need to know how they discovered the difference, and can they get this in writing?........ MM
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

If, you sign a contractual agreement for , 280 cu ft, then that is what you agree to move ,it is up to you to prove you , had less to move ,and the shipper did not inform you of this, that is why we need to know how they discovered the difference, and can they get this in writing?........ MM
But if it's marked as a 'quotation', is that still legally binding?

I'm surprised (not disputing what you say) that it's up to the customer to prove the amount to be moved - we're the ones with no experience in working out how much space things will take! Is this a 'scam' that some companies will deploy? (over-estimating the space you require and then holding you to the cost?)

My quote was altered as I took less than originally planned - but perhaps I was fortunate that it was a quote and not a contract

Let's hope Pollster didn't sign a binding contract
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:11 am
Banned

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
But if it's marked as a 'quotation', is that still legally binding?

I'm surprised (not disputing what you say) that it's up to the customer to prove the amount to be moved - we're the ones with no experience in working out how much space things will take! Is this a 'scam' that some companies will deploy? (over-estimating the space you require and then holding you to the cost?)

My quote was altered as I took less than originally planned - but perhaps I was fortunate that it was a quote and not a contract

Let's hope Pollster didn't sign a binding contract
when you accept the quote , ie 280 you then sign a removal contract which says you have accepted the agreed amount,which holds both parties to move that amount, its very hard after the event to prove what was moved, when the shipper is going to say i moved 280 cu ft................. MM
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:19 pm
Kiwified member

when you accept the quote , ie 280 you then sign a removal contract which says you have accepted the agreed amount,which holds both parties to move that amount, its very hard after the event to prove what was moved, when the shipper is going to say i moved 280 cu ft................. MM

Yes - the revised total was on the trace and track part of the website.

I sent them a firm email about it and have had a reply telling me it is the policy to take payment before the shipment is collected so therefore it cannot be adjusted at that stage because they don't know it is less - if you see what I mean.

However, my lady is having a word with her manager to arrange a refund for us.

I shall let you know if it is a reasonable one or not.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:02 pm
Banned

Yes - the revised total was on the trace and track part of the website.

I sent them a firm email about it and have had a reply telling me it is the policy to take payment before the shipment is collected so therefore it cannot be adjusted at that stage because they don't know it is less - if you see what I mean.

However, my lady is having a word with her manager to arrange a refund for us.

I shall let you know if it is a reasonable one or not.
Thats good , it all ways pays to get 3 quotes, some where amoungst them , will be the correct amount, ............... MM
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:07 pm
Kiwified member

Just to let you all know that it is worth having a go at things because Crown have said they are crediting our credit card with £579 - taking the cost of the shipment to under a grand.

There was no arguement about it either - so check your stats chaps!!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:18 pm
Banned

Just to let you all know that it is worth having a go at things because Crown have said they are crediting our credit card with £579 - taking the cost of the shipment to under a grand.

There was no arguement about it either - so check your stats chaps!!
Thats good to hear, that there is still some integrety left in the world. i did,nt see that it was ,CROWN they are a sister company{grace] i would have predicted a better out come,had i realised. to these multinationals good press is very important........... MM