Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting medication for family who visit

Getting medication for family who visit

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Getting medication for family who visit

Hi there
My parents are wanting/hoping to come visit for at least six months.
Firstly does anyone know if they can come for this long and do they need some sort of visa for this length?
Secondly they are both on daily medication - do they just get enough to last them from doc before they come or purchase here? Will doc do this?
Thanks
Jo
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:28 pm
Gill Palmer

Default Re: Getting medication for family who visit

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Hi there
My parents are wanting/hoping to come visit for at least six months.
Firstly does anyone know if they can come for this long and do they need some sort of visa for this length?
Secondly they are both on daily medication - do they just get enough to last them from doc before they come or purchase here? Will doc do this?
Thanks
Jo
Dear Clan

First, there is no problem with your parents visiting for anything up to a year. If you look the Australian High Commission in London's website, you can download Form 48R, which is the one that you need. The cost is about £35 per applicant.

If either of your parents is aged 70+ then he or she will also need to get the Medical Certificate completed by their own GP (our local G{ charges £60 for doing these.) Your parents should send the completed Medical Certificate to London, along with the application, the fee-mandate and their passports. The passports should be returned within about a fortnight, with the visas in them.

If it is their first visit, they should get 6 months automatically, but I recently wrote and told them why my 85 year old mother wanted 8 unbroken months out there instead of just 6, and the visa was duly granted without any queries. She has been a semi-permanent tourist for the last 14 years.

If you have any more queries about this point, please either send me a PM or put another post on this thread.

On the medical front, GPs in the UK won't normally let patients have scrips for more than a three months' supply of their drugs. I suggest that your parents explain the situation to their UK GP here and wheedle for as much as the doctor feels he/she can safely supply.

In Australia, your parents would have to see a doctor in order to get new scrips when their medications run out, because the brand names are different and so are some of the compounds in the drugs that GPs can supply in Australia. The GP will be free if you choose a GP who does Medicare. However, your parents will have to pay the full price of their drugs. There is no subsidy on the cost of medication supplied to tourists except if they are admitted to hospital in an emergency for some reason.

On another recent thread on this site, you will find a link to a website called homepharmacy.com (sic) or something similar. Apparently studying that will enable you to work out the likely price of the medication your parents need.

Meanwhile, if there is any possibility that they might want to emigrate to Australia permanently one day, then you should go into www.immi.gov.au, download Booklet3 (Parent Migration) and study it carefully, I suggest.

Please shout if you need further help.

Regards

Gill

Last edited by Gill Palmer; Jan 23rd 2006 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Typos

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:08 pm
Gill Palmer

Default Re: Getting medication for family who visit

Originally Posted by Gill Palmer
Dear Clan

First, there is no problem with your parents visiting for anything up to a year. If you look the Australian High Commission in London's website, you can download Form 48R, which is the one that you need. The cost is about £35 per applicant.

If either of your parents is aged 70+ then he or she will also need to get the Medical Certificate completed by their own GP (our local G{ charges £60 for doing these.) Your parents should send the completed Medical Certificate to London, along with the application, the fee-mandate and their passports. The passports should be returned within about a fortnight, with the visas in them.

If it is their first visit, they should get 6 months automatically, but I recently wrote and told them why my 85 year old mother wanted 8 unbroken months out there instead of just 6, and the visa was duly granted without any queries. She has been a semi-permanent tourist for the last 14 years.

If you have any more queries about this point, please either send me a PM or put another post on this thread.

On the medical front, GPs in the UK won't normally let patients have scrips for more than a three months' supply of their drugs. I suggest that your parents explain the situation to their UK GP here and wheedle for as much as the doctor feels he/she can safely supply.

In Australia, your parents would have to see a doctor in order to get new scrips when their medications run out, because the brand names are different and so are some of the compounds in the drugs that GPs can supply in Australia. The GP will be free if you choose a GP who does Medicare. However, your parents will have to pay the full price of their drugs. There is no subsidy on the cost of medication supplied to tourists except if they are admitted to hospital in an emergency for some reason.

On another recent thread on this site, you will find a link to a website called homepharmacy.com (sic) or something similar. Apparently studying that will enable you to work out the likely price of the medication your parents need.

Meanwhile, if there is any possibility that they might want to emigrate to Australia permanently one day, then you should go into www.immi.gov.au, download Booklet3 (Parent Migration) and study it carefully, I suggest.

Please shout if you need further help.

Regards

Gill

http://www.homepharmacy.com.au/abou...tion_prices.cfm

This is the link to where you can find out about the prices of medications in Oz.

Gill