Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting medical insurance?

getting medical insurance?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:34 am
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future
Default getting medical insurance?

Hi
Getting freaked out by all the ads on tv about getting medical insurance!! OH and I only just starting work and can't work out whether to get cover or not. neither of us will be earning a huge amount but wondered whether it would be worth it for dental, hospital (future family plans) etc. Anyone in same position that could offer any advice?
If you have opted for cover, who did you go with?

I'm rather confused, even checked the iselect website they keep banging on about on tv but still not sure if it's going to be beneficial to us??!
Please help!
Loren
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:22 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting medical insurance?

Originally Posted by Hooch&Lol
Hi
Getting freaked out by all the ads on tv about getting medical insurance!! OH and I only just starting work and can't work out whether to get cover or not. neither of us will be earning a huge amount but wondered whether it would be worth it for dental, hospital (future family plans) etc. Anyone in same position that could offer any advice?
If you have opted for cover, who did you go with?

I'm rather confused, even checked the iselect website they keep banging on about on tv but still not sure if it's going to be beneficial to us??!
Please help!
Loren
Such a tough question.
If you earn jointly over $100k you may as well as you will pay an extra 1% tax ($1,000) which you can get a decent policy for.
For emergency treatment, you really don't need. Medicare is fine.
For elective surgery, insurance will help you jump queues. You still get a short-fall to pay.
If you have kids, a policy with dental and optical benefits of some kind is great.
At the end of the day, if you cant afford it, don't worry about it!

As an aside, my 5 year old daughter needed grommets and her speach was becoming impaired due to bad hearing. The medicare waiting period was 3 years. Private insurance we were in an out within a month.

Andrew
Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:27 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting medical insurance?

We've just opted for NIB insurance, via the iselect webiste.
For the 2 of us it's something like $130/month - not bad at all. That's for Ambulace cover which you need here,major dental stuff and a host of other stiff. Only downside is, with this policy I'm on I'm classed as a private patient but cared for in a public hospital. So no carpet and fancy bedsheets for me then!!
It'll work out well for us tax wise too.

*pearly*