Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting medical cover straight away.

getting medical cover straight away.

Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Edwards family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting medical cover straight away.

We fly out in 2 weeks. I have travel insurance that covers us for our trip that we have prebooked. This means it only covers us up until we land at Brisbane. Can I pre arrange some medical cover before we go to start from the day we land.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of
Default Re: getting medical cover straight away.

Hi There

We used Halifax insurance as covered us for 60 days, not that we needed it.

Jane
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/ These guys do migration insurance, which covers you for 17 days from the start of your flight. That gives you plenty of time to get down to Medicare and sort out you medical card etc. Any emergencies, will be covered anyway, and if you have PR then you will be covered for most things.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edwards family
We fly out in 2 weeks. I have travel insurance that covers us for our trip that we have prebooked. This means it only covers us up until we land at Brisbane. Can I pre arrange some medical cover before we go to start from the day we land.
When we arrived in Adelaide (1st August), we went to the local Medicare office that afternoon and I was given a number on the spot (I'm here on a de-facto spouse visa).

All you need for health insurance is a Medicare number, an address and some way of paying the premiums.

Cheers

Steve