British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Getting married in Sydney advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/getting-married-sydney-advice-902909/)

Branagan_1 Sep 5th 2017 11:00 am

Getting married in Sydney advice

Hi,

My partner and I want to get married in Sydney, I am British and she is Polish and we are both on a 457 visa and have been here for 3 years.

My question is, what do we need to do to have it recognised by UK law, can we just get married or do we need do to anything else?

I have been on the embassy page but it just says the following:

Contact the relevant local authorities in Australia to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You should get legal advice before making any plans.

The UK doesn’t issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. You’ll need to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry

Thanks for you help in advance.

Ben

Pollyana Sep 5th 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Getting married in Sydney advice

Originally Posted by Branagan_1 (Post 12331500)
Hi,

My partner and I want to get married in Sydney, I am British and she is Polish and we are both on a 457 visa and have been here for 3 years.

My question is, what do we need to do to have it recognised by UK law, can we just get married or do we need do to anything else?

I have been on the embassy page but it just says the following:

Contact the relevant local authorities in Australia to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You should get legal advice before making any plans.

The UK doesn’t issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. You’ll need to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry

Thanks for you help in advance.

Ben

As long as the marriage is carried out legally under Australian law it will be recognised in the UK.

spuddyo Sep 5th 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12331544)
As long as the marriage is carried out legally under Australian law it will be recognised in the UK.

Imagine if that wasn't the case, It would save a fortune it divorce costs - just saying :thumbsup:

Kooky. Sep 6th 2017 8:55 am

Not a problem. We got married while on holiday here, using a celebrant, long before we moved here.

Beoz Sep 6th 2017 9:20 am

Cheaper in the UK. From a mans perspective, that's a winner.

Kooky. Sep 6th 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12332262)

Depends how you do it. We did it under a tree in the Botanic Gardens with 3 witnesses, then went to Watson's Bay for fish and chips.

Pollyana Sep 6th 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12331956)
Imagine if that wasn't the case, It would save a fortune it divorce costs - just saying :thumbsup:

:lol::thumbsup:

Pollyana Sep 6th 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12332262)

That depends - not only on the type of wedding, but on whether the patrties are resident in the UK, need visas, etc.

Beoz Sep 6th 2017 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12332266)
That depends - not only on the type of wedding, but on whether the patrties are resident in the UK, need visas, etc.

Brits and Poles should be good on the visa front.

Yep type of wedding etc. When I got married about 10 years back, we priced Sydney and London, London came out cheaper. Things may have changed.