Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting married in OZ..any help or advise?

Getting married in OZ..any help or advise?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default Getting married in OZ..any help or advise?

HI guys,

We were planning on gedtting married back in teh UK later this year but due to us having to be in the country for a lot longer than are able to stay this has been ruled out.

What we now plan to do is get married in OZ and then do a re-newal of our vows in the UK.

Has anyone organised a wedding in OZ? If so any help would be great as I have no idea where to start.

TTFN
Chelly
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in OZ..any help or advise?

Hi Chelly

I'm a wedding photographer in Melbourne so have a good idea of what is involved!

Where abouts in Oz are you planning on getting married first of all?

Do you want a Church or civil wedding?

Once you've decided on the above then it's a case of finding out the legal requirements and then booking a venue and all the other bits and pieces. Many venues now offer a one-stop shop i.e.they can arrange nearly everything for you - cake, flowers etc.

I guess it just depends on what type of wedding you'd like - informal, formal, beach, city, country - all so much to choose from!

Also depends on how many people you will have coming. I know a lot of the venues won't do under a certain amount of covers for a Saturday but then if you choose a Friday or a Sunday wedding you might even save a bit as well.

Let us know if I can help anymore when you've got some more details!

Have fun with the plans!

KK
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Ohhhhh, I do love a wedding! Congratulations.

We went to the Hunter Valley one time with some friends who were thining of arranging a wedding there. There are some absolutely gorgeous places and some places will organise everything for you (celebrant, reception, flowers, photos, accommodation etc.). If you google "Hunter valley weddings" you'll get plenty of info.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:29 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

I organised our wedding in Oz from the uk a few years ago. Found the whole thing pretty straighforward. We went to the Whitsundays and wanted a civil ceremony. As we didn't tell anyone we were getting married, it was just us so no having to worry about what aunty betty may want etc.

Decide on what you want, you will need to do a notice of intended marriage (or at least we did 6 years ago), got a celebrant, organised a photographer and had honeymoon in same venue as wedding. All for around $500 if I recall! The dress was a little more!

Can make it as simple or complex as you want, but decide what is good for you and go for it!

scotty

Last edited by Scotty1; Mar 5th 2010 at 4:30 am. Reason: to make sense!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:18 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

pretty much same scenario for us as scotty, OH is Australian I am British, we travelled to Perth & got married there, really easy to get all the paperwork done, celebrant booked from UK, cake, venue etc, then on arrival had all items to finalise, but with 100 guests it only cost us about $6000 all up, very affordable & that was nearly 15 years ago now
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. As all our friends and family are in the UK, we are just doing the formal side of things in OZ and then having the party and re-newal of vows in the UK.

It will just be me the OH and the dog so it will just be a regisrty office affair.....I think but things may change depending on what available.

We are in Sydney and have been in Oz since Jan 22nd so no real friends as yet....fingers crossed that will all change

chelly
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well as mentioned on your other wedding thread, we got married in Oz when we were here on holiday. (Obviously due to legalities we had to arrange it in advance.)

We used a celebrant, Coral http://www.getmarried.com.au/ and she was great. We stood in the shade of a tree in the Botanic Gardens in Sydney with a few friends and family, said our own vows, and 20 minutes later we were married.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm sure we could organise a BE rent a crowd for you if you don't want to look like bill no-mates I'd even bring my own hat ........
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Well I'm sure we could organise a BE rent a crowd for you if you don't want to look like bill no-mates I'd even bring my own hat ........
Oooh I luv a good wedding . . . I'm fillin' up . . . I know it's silly . ..
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Oooh I luv a good wedding . . . I'm fillin' up . . . I know it's silly . ..
have you got a hat and some confetti.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ohooooo noooooo confetti! Not allowed here ... lucky if we can use rose petals at times, miserable lot! We once did our confetti shot on the beach with rose petals and wondered if we were breaking some bylaw!

We did a wedding in a public garden and the bride was told that if her marquee went over a certain size the rangers would fine her and order her to take it down on the day. There are certainly some killjoys in the wedding industry sometimes!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Advice?

Definitely no Angry Anderson at the reception - everyone will think you're a 'dag'!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Laura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really nice

We got married in Oz last year and organised it all from the uk.Was really easy as we hired a wedding planner to organise it all but in hindsight it was probably just as easy to organise ourselves thanks to all the info on the websites. Think you will prob find the info you need on the Sydney council or equivalent website.

Good Luck!!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice

Hi there

Sorry for jumping on your thread, but I'm getting married next April in Oz....

Not sure where to start to be honest due to living in the UK....

I know we have to sign a notice of intended marriage, and i've looked at chapels and reception venues but would probably need a lil more help too....

Looking to get married in Brisbane, Broadway Chapel looks really nice - has anyone been there before?

If anyone can recommend reception venues, possibly a restaurant to be honest due to a small amount of people going..... photographer, videographer, transport...flowers....anything wedding related really would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!! xxx