Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting married (but nothing to do with a visa!)

Getting married (but nothing to do with a visa!)

Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

fluffy_dassie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married (but nothing to do with a visa!)

Hi there,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction as the government websites are just sending me round in circles! I am British (currently have a PR visa lodged) and have just got engaged to my partner who lives full time (more or less) in the UK

We were planning, for family reasons, to get married in the UK next year - but how do I go about lodging paperwork (or even what paperwork?!) from Australia?! Is this even possible? At the minute it's up in the air as to whether we'll end up living in the UK or Australia (if over here he will apply for his own visa - having lived apart for a lot of our relationship we won't have evidence enough for a partner visa and he could get an ENS visa if he got himself a job)

Sorry, that's a lot of blurb...it's only just occurred to me that paperwork needs to be filed - this on top of the panic of organising a wedding at home from abroad! If anyone can help, that'd be grand!

Cheers, Fluff x
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married (but nothing to do with a visa!)

Originally Posted by fluffy_dassie
Hi there,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction as the government websites are just sending me round in circles! I am British (currently have a PR visa lodged) and have just got engaged to my partner who lives full time (more or less) in the UK

We were planning, for family reasons, to get married in the UK next year - but how do I go about lodging paperwork (or even what paperwork?!) from Australia?! Is this even possible? At the minute it's up in the air as to whether we'll end up living in the UK or Australia (if over here he will apply for his own visa - having lived apart for a lot of our relationship we won't have evidence enough for a partner visa and he could get an ENS visa if he got himself a job)

Sorry, that's a lot of blurb...it's only just occurred to me that paperwork needs to be filed - this on top of the panic of organising a wedding at home from abroad! If anyone can help, that'd be grand!

Cheers, Fluff x
First of all, once you're married if you decide to live in Australia he can apply for a Spouse Visa purely on the grounds of the marriage, no need to meet the same cohabiting criteria as a de facto visa

Try these links, should help point you in the right direction

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...hips/DG_175717

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ng_married.htm

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:07 am.