Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in oz while still in uk

Getting a job in oz while still in uk

Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default Getting a job in oz while still in uk

Hi, is there anyone out there who managed to get themselfs a job in oz while still in the uk,

I have my PR visa ready and waiting in my passport and am gagging to get over there now i have sold my house, but would ideally like to go witha job offer,

I am a mechanical Fitter by the way

does anyone know how likely/unlikely this could be, i have registered with seek.com.au and set up a resume with them and also sent it out to a few companies who were advertising, only did this today so no responses yet obviously,

Some info, from anyone who has done this sort of thing would be great, on such things as how were interviews conducted, could they do them by phone or would they have to be in person as i couldnt just jet of for an interview because of the money involved,

I wouldnt expect the job to be open for months, if successfull i would try to be out there and start within one month as i have family out there so shouldnt be too difficult,

There, i'm done, any info or advice is most welcome,

cheers, ross...........
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:17 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in oz while still in uk

Originally Posted by rosscog
Hi, is there anyone out there who managed to get themselfs a job in oz while still in the uk,

I have my PR visa ready and waiting in my passport and am gagging to get over there now i have sold my house, but would ideally like to go witha job offer,

does anyone know how likely/unlikely this could be, i have registered with seek.com.au and set up a resume with them and also sent it out to a few companies who were advertising, only did this today so no responses yet obviously,

Some info, from anyone who has done this sort of thing would be great, on such things as how were interviews conducted, could they do them by phone or would they have to be in person as i couldnt just jet of for an interview because of the money involved,

I wouldnt expect the job to be open for months, if successfull i would try to be out there and start within one month as i have family out there so shouldnt be too difficult,

cheers, ross...........
hi ross

when my brother went out to nz some 12 years ago (he's now in nsw, aus), he got a job in engineering before he went. his interview was conducted over the phone, strange i know, but they offered him the job!
so, it can be done. i think the migration company he used sorted the job front out for him. somehow, i don't think they will do that now!!!

good luck on the job hunt, you never know.....

regards

michelle
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:32 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rosscog

cheers, ross...........
Hiya Ross,

plenty of vacancies advertised on the web, alot require that you have citizenship or visa, so as long as you have one then you should be ok.

I've known interviews via video conference at local offices.

Bye and good luck
Mark
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:35 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ross,

My hubby had a job sorted out before we came here,he,s a mechanical engineer working in sales. (Got through as a fitter on the MODL)

Firstly hubby got a few of his CV,s floating about over here with a few companies,randomly using the Oz yellow pages for engineering companies & it was,nt too long before he had his first interview,this was done over the phone & he also had a type of questionaire to fill in & return which was done by email,hubby got the job & the contract was also sent by email.

This was at the begining of Dec04,we arrived in Brissy middle of Jan & hubby started work on the 14th Feb.

The company were great,gave us time to find our feet & get our family organised before hubby started work.

Goodluck!

Donna.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough

thanks alot for all the replies, sounds like i have got a chance atleast, good news, cheers
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

We are still in the UK ( we leave in 3 weeks) and my husband applied for a job via email the other day. He received an email back saying they were interested and they had arranged an interview for him in our local office ( its a multinational company) anyway he went for the interview on Friday and it seemed to go really well.

We did expect to hear something this week but nothing so far so not sure of the outcome but it does go to show that it is certainly worth applying while yoiu are still here as you never know.

Nat