Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in Brisbane in a challenge!

Getting a job in Brisbane in a challenge!

Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

brisbane bronco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in Brisbane in a challenge!

I have been seeking a job in Brisbane for the past 6 weeks in management or sales but when it come to enquire about any position, employers or agents step back when they hear that you have UK experience but no Brisbane employment history.

In fact, a few agents have said " they'd usually prefer to hire someone from Brisbane with less experience rather than take on someone more experienced not from Brisbane/Queensland/Australia".

Has anyone else experienced this (so I don't feel so disheartened) and have you any advice on how to counter it?

thanks
BB

Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Brisbane in a challenge!

Originally posted by brisbane bronco
I have been seeking a job in Brisbane for the past 6 weeks in management or sales but when it come to enquire about any position, employers or agents step back when they hear that you have UK experience but no Brisbane employment history.

In fact, a few agents have said " they'd usually prefer to hire someone from Brisbane with less experience rather than take on someone more experienced not from Brisbane/Queensland/Australia".

Has anyone else experienced this (so I don't feel so disheartened) and have you any advice on how to counter it?

thanks
BB

Its just a part of emigrating, you would read the same problem on the USA forum, local employer would find local experience an advantage. Look at how many people are posting they got their first 'good' job after being here a year or so. Take any old job so you have some aussie experience then aim higher.

Only place where locals first doesnt happen seems to be the UK, Australia/Australians are put on such a pedalstal we get employed anyway. Or maybe thats just because there are more jobs available there.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:29 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

No real experience of this, but I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and suggest that certainly for the sales positions, the reason they probably prefer "local with less experience" is cos the contacts and networks are so critical in Sales. Also in management but maybe to a slightly lesser extent.

For countering it, maybe you need to consider taking a small step backward in your career until you can build up those contacts and networks.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:38 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Another factor is they legitimately wonder how long you'll be around and whether you are worth "investing" in.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:52 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

thanks
BB

Hi there

I've been in Brisbane two days and have an interview lined up, I got this by putting my cv on seek.com.au and they actually contacted me. I do have some (only 6 months) previous work experience in Brisbane (to get this I did have to take a step back, but within 3 months of being there I'd got a position promotion so it didnt make much odds anyway). Have you tried putting your details on seek so people can search you out, might be something to consider.

Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Queenslanders are a parochial lot, even Victorians may face the same problem as you do.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 6:02 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the same in Adelaide. So far the score is:

Full-on applications: 8
Outright rejections: 4
Interviews and rejections: 2
Spec letters / phone calls / emails: a few
I don't want to use agencies 'cos as a manager I had loads of problems with them in the UK

rab
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:15 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are lucky, you may get a interveiw with a british person, you are then sure you will get the job. As british employers in Oz like people from the UK, due to work ethics
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:01 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Happens everywhere. I fought some serious resistance to get employment here in the US as an Australian. You have to deal with the fact that most places would prefer hiring their own. The idea that I may leave one day to go somewhere else in the world put off quite a few places.

Fact of life that you need to work around and persist at.

Queensland, and Australia in general, is by no means unique when it comes to that situation.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same responses coming into the Brisbane market. I got round it by taking contract work - I had to wait for the right contract to come up, but it was worth it. After being in my present contract for 5 months I am fstarting to feel that I need a permanent position and the Brisbane contract experience will help no end.

As an aside, and certainly in my field in accountancy, I have noticed that the market has really picked up in the past month - there is a lot of demand at the moment - not sure if this is typical for this time of the year.

Steve
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:19 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Cookies,

I've PM'd you.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I never found this in fact in most agencies they where English, I enrolled with every agency possible.

I was on the net with seek.com.au and careerone.com.au, I would see a job and send my CV then immediatley phone them and sell myself to a point where I got myself in there.

Try agencies such as

Chandleor Mcleod - Tracey
Slade group - pippa
Hays - rick
Mcginty - Sarah
Michae Page - Brad

I ended up with about 4 jobs apps on the go with interviews adn second interviews etc. I found commiting full time to getting job was really the only way and definalty phoning them adn selling yourself then just sending your CV.

Good luck

Carrianne
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robertd
If you are lucky, you may get a interveiw with a british person, you are then sure you will get the job. As british employers in Oz like people from the UK, due to work ethics

Thats funny you say that....I have been working in London now for the last 3 1/2 years in Recruitment....mainly temporary recruitment...and most of the British employers over here prefer Oz/NZ/SAfrican employees because of the work ethic....

Just an observation.....
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

brisbane bronco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies and tips. I'll put some to work straight away.

It is true what I say and part of getting used to the 'town mentality' of Brisbane. However, as with every other part of moving abroad, it is a challenge to get over but bldy frustating all the same.

I'm not sure if this is the same in Sydney or Melbourne but you really do have to look long and hard at the work environment and much larger salaries offered down south and it appears more tempting than Brisbane. We like the relaxed lifestyle and scenery but why is Brisbane so far behind Syd/Melb? Or is it as seems just a city for retired people, branch offices and back-office operation centres?

bb
Old Aug 1st 2004, 1:22 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Pretty easy answer as to why Brisbane is behind Syd/Mel. Nowhere near as many tourists and nowhere near as cosmopolitan.

Years of inwardness and muted xenophobia brought on by idiots like Bjelke-Petersen are slowly going away.

Give Brisbane some time, but right now it's very much a distant third place to Sydney and Melbourne. Maybe even fourth place, if you want to take Perth into consideration.