Reload this Page >

Getting a job - Brisbane

Getting a job - Brisbane

Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

RollingStone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job - Brisbane

Anyone with any advice?

We are planning to move out to Brisbane by mid next year but have not finalised a date as yet.
How easy is it to get a job prior to moving out?
From other posts it seems that unless you are a nurse you need to wait until you are in Brisbane. I'm a Project Manager with more than 10 years of projects experience.

I have a list of alot of recruitment agencies in Bribane but don't want to waste my time if they will not even look at me until I'm in Oz.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:47 pm
you lookin at me?

Ghostface will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job - Brisbane

Originally Posted by RollingStone
Anyone with any advice?

We are planning to move out to Brisbane by mid next year but have not finalised a date as yet.
From other posts it seems that unless you are a nurse you need to wait until you are in Brisbane. I'm a Project Manager with more than 10 years of projects experience.

I have a list of alot of recruitment agencies in Bribane but don't want to waste my time if they will not even look at me until I'm in Oz.
Hi Rollingstone welcome to the forum, i have just been lucky enough to secure a job in Brisbane by working from the UK.

I have put below the steps i took to do this.

1) Went online & used the brisbane yellow pages to find all companies in my field (pump engineer to trade). If they had e mail address'es i e mailed them my CV and explained our circumstances.

2) I then explored all the companies i worked with back here (supplier's etc) to see if they had base's in Brisbane. Once i had done this i contacted the people i knew at the British company and asked them to e mail their counterpart in Brissy to see if they were looking for anyone.

Option 2 is actually how my job came about, although i did get some very positive responses from option 1 (in fact there was two companies wanted me to contact them as soon as i got there).

Cheers

Mr Madsad.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:50 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone with any advice?

Hi RollingStone,

My hubby(Mechanical engineer,sales) has just been offered a job in Brisbane,done a quiz & had a telephone interview. Hes taking the job,we arrive in Brisbane 29th Jan & he starts his new job 13th Feb.

Hubby started emailing/sending his cv to several companys(6/8months ago) around Brisbane & got several replys from interested employers!

I dont think you are wasting your time,theres no harm in getting your CV to the companys that interest you, if they are interested you will get feedback from them.

No harm in trying !

Goodluck.
Donna.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:53 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Great minds eh? hubby!!! Skiving again?

Sorry, Rollingstone hubby was obviously typing same time as me!

Donna.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:41 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Anyone with any advice?

I got a job in Brisbane recently through an agency. The lady at the agency told me I was better off keeping with just 2 or 3 larger agency as they work together when recruiting. In other words an employer shouldn't get your CV more than once, which 'apparently' isn't seen as a good thing. So if you send off your CV on Seek and then via half a dozen companies you may be doing yourself more harm than good. Don't know how true this is, but within 3 weeks of joining two agencies & not applying via Seek, I'd had 3 interviews, leading to 2 job offers, of which I took one up

Good luck!