Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in Brisbane

Getting a job in Brisbane

Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:37 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a job in Brisbane

Following up from another thread, can anyone else add their experiences in finding a job in Brisbane, especially if it's in Finance.

General thread is it's hard to find permanent job. How about temp work and how does this affect getting access to credit, rent, mortgages ect...

Ta,

Paul.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Brisbane

Originally posted by diddy
Following up from another thread, can anyone else add their experiences in finding a job in Brisbane, especially if it's in Finance.

General thread is it's hard to find permanent job. How about temp work and how does this affect getting access to credit, rent, mortgages ect...

Ta,

Paul.
Can't answer your Q other than to say 'temp jobs' can be anything up to 6 years, so I've heard. That would be good enough for me for starters!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

bamboy is an unknown quantity at this point

PAUL,

CANT HELP REGARDING EMPLPOYMENT IN FINANCE, BUT DAVID GOT A JOB 2 WEEKS AFTER ARRIVING AND HAD TO WORK 3 MONTHS PROBATION UNTIL MADE FULL TIME, HAS HAD ANOTHER JOB WITH BETTER PAY SINCE AND HAD TO THROUGH THE SAME PROCESS. I WAS THE SAME AND LANDED A PERMNAMENT JOB RIGHT AWAY. JUST YOUR LUCK REALLY. WHEN WE RENTED THEY WHERE VERY GOOD AND JUST TOOK COPIES OF OUR PASSPORTS AND BIRTH CERTS FOR PROOF OF RENT AS WE DIDNT MEET THE 100POINT CHECK LIST. IN SAYING THAT SOMETIMES IF U OFFER 3 MONTHS RENT IN ADVANCE IS ANOTHER WAY TO SECURE A RENTAL.

HOPE THIS HELPS

CATS
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At my new place there are 2 perm staff in the unit, and 5 temps - one of whom has been there 4 years as a temp! Its much much more common over here, and many more temporary staff are employed through the company itself as opposed to through an agency. If they are a good enough employer - like a big company, the govt, Aus Post, that kind of thing, apparently a lot of banks are used to dealing with people on long term temp contracts.
I was told that one of my friends at work shares with a girl who has been on a temp ocntract for 3 years, and has just got a mortgage.
Different attitude to what they have in the UK.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I work within finance and got my job in 6 weeks. But nearly every day from arriving here I made appointments with all the agencies even popped into others, kept the newspapers with all the jobs in. I joined a place called work place directions, they give free use of a phone and internet etc while looking for a job I was in there every day.

Over here is just a case of marketing yourself and going for jobs. The agencies where good just keep in contact with them.

I work in the city the good thing as polly was saying if you are temping you also get a shot at looking at the internal roles that are going so a foot in the door.

Carrianne
Old Jul 31st 2004, 9:28 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Ta,

Paul.
Hey Paul,

I've been here a couple of days now, and have had two 'expressions of interest' for a financial/banking job. One through seek.com.au and one through hallis.com.au, first is a perm job, second is a temp job - my experience is though if you can prove yourself in a temp job they usually take you on anyway.

I'll let you know more as and when I get a job re. temp implications

Cheers
Old Jul 31st 2004, 7:19 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. It's great to hear you're there and already doing well.

How's things more generally?
Old Jul 31st 2004, 9:12 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Well done. It's great to hear you're there and already doing well.

How's things more generally?

Yeah, they're not bad. What I'm finding most weird is because I was here already, is I've come back and everyone else has just been carrying on like normal so adjusting to that. I've done the school run, been to netball practice, been Coles etc etc so its not taking me long to get back into the less glamourous thing as well
Old Jul 31st 2004, 9:34 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally posted by mlbonner
Yeah, they're not bad. What I'm finding most weird is because I was here already, is I've come back and everyone else has just been carrying on like normal so adjusting to that. I've done the school run, been to netball practice, been Coles etc etc so its not taking me long to get back into the less glamourous thing as well
Know the feeling, but doing the everyday things there has to beat the doing them here, although it's bloody hot today in the UK.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 10:32 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Know the feeling, but doing the everyday things there has to beat the doing them here, although it's bloody hot today in the UK.

Well this is true. Though I've just been for a run with the lil brat to get a paper and tis pretty warm here for winter too
Old Jul 31st 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If you think 27c is hot you are in for a shock when you get to Brisbane It is almost that now and it is still Winter!